Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-07-2014, 07:48 AM

Question 20 lb trout in Glenmore reservoir?

Just want to know the scoop with trout at glen more reservoir. Recently I bumped into a guy who stated he has caught numerous 15 lb plus "brown trout" from the res. he had photos to prove it, one such fish was an absolute hog looked to be well over 30" long and he said it was 19 lb and it looked every bit of 19. The thing that struck me as odd was the colour of this "brown trout" it looked more like a rainbow minus the pinkish hue. It was a female no kype, but very silver with spots, there was no yellow/ Brown colour to it at all, typical of the brown trout I have caught from the Bow. I realize that depending on a variety of variables fish from the same species can look quite different. That being said I have also heard of hybrid breeds and other things being possible. I don't know how truthful the story was being he had way too many cold beverages under his belt, and I am not very good at recognizing the background of the photo. Have not fished the res myself but I have caught some browns that were 8 lbs from the Bow. I can believe that 10 to 12 lb trout are possible from the res, but numerous 15 lb plus? Fantastic if that's the case I will be out there until it closes for the season trying to rip some lips on one of those bruisers! Long story short is this guy full of BS or am I just jealous? Let me know your thoughts...thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Banned

What that guy claims is correct. Unfortunately trout limit is 5 no size limit.

Couple of nights ago I fished late into the night, two large trout were breaching surface like humpback whales. These 2 fish were in 15lb range, but absolutely no interest in anything I had to offer.

I know one older fella who has caught numerous beasts out of that lake, about a decade ago he pulled out a pike at 32 lbs if I remember correctly. He also catches a lot of large trout. He is hard to communicate with, not a very open person. After running into each other a few times we finally started talking. Turns out he stalks them, a tactic I've used with limited success, and uses slender 3" spoon to get them. He claims there is no point in repeated casting, it only makes them suspicious.

Lots of poachers through the night, fishing with 2 or 3 baited rods. Called rap numerous times, only to watch officers walk away from guilty party with no conviction.

Last edited by jeprli; 10-07-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:14 AM

Default Not BS

A couple buddies of mine have caught the size of browns you describe (30") in the Elbow this time of year last year as they stage up to spawn. Quite the battle in those small pools. So far they haven't shown up this year.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post

Couple of nights ago I fished late into the night, two large trout were breaching surface like humpback whales. These 2 fish were in 15lb range, but absolutely no interest in anything I had to offer.

I know one older fella who has caught numerous beasts out of that lake, about a decade ago he pulled out a pike at 32 lbs if I remember correctly. He also catches a lot of large trout. He is hard to communicate with, not a very open person. After running into each other a few times we finally started talking. Turns out he stalks them, a tactic I've used with limited success, and uses slender 3" spoon to get them. He claims there is no point in repeated casting, it only makes them suspicious.

Lots of poachers through the night, fishing with 2 or 3 baited rods. Called rap numerous times, only to watch officers walk away from guilty party with no conviction.
Thanks for the info guys! kind of bitter sweet, great to hear there are hogs in there, but also a shame there is no slot size. I know the guy I spoke with kept that beautiful 19 lb fish, cooked it up and said it tasted like mud. What a Waste! The fish of that size wont be in there for long if people keep that up. Personally it brings my blood to a boil! regulations should be changed in situations like this. Bring your camera, take pictures of the hogs for bragging rights and put them back to reproduce and for others to catch and enjoy. keep a couple of pan fry's for the dinner table. that's just my take, cant comment much more on that one and still keep it PG... smoke is coming out of my ears! going for a blood pressure check now! Thanks for the feedback, keep it coming. Still curious about the coloration of the fish?
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Banned

Quote:

Give a Dad's Worm Threader set up kills big trout for me.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:29 AM

here is a post showing some more Alberta Browns the first picture is like what you are mentioning .. they will be lite colored too
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=browns

Bigger lakes with good feed have Bigger fish

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Just want to know the scoop with trout at glen more reservoir. Recently I bumped into a guy who stated he has caught numerous 15 lb plus "brown trout" from the res. he had photos to prove it, one such fish was an absolute hog looked to be well over 30" long and he said it was 19 lb and it looked every bit of 19. The thing that struck me as odd was the colour of this "brown trout" it looked more like a rainbow minus the pinkish hue. It was a female no kype, but very silver with spots, there was no yellow/ Brown colour to it at all, typical of the brown trout I have caught from the Bow. I realize that depending on a variety of variables fish from the same species can look quite different. That being said I have also heard of hybrid breeds and other things being possible. I don't know how truthful the story was being he had way too many cold beverages under his belt, and I am not very good at recognizing the background of the photo. Have not fished the res myself but I have caught some browns that were 8 lbs from the Bow. I can believe that 10 to 12 lb trout are possible from the res, but numerous 15 lb plus? Fantastic if that's the case I will be out there until it closes for the season trying to rip some lips on one of those bruisers! Long story short is this guy full of BS or am I just jealous? Let me know your thoughts...thanks.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:38 AM
Banned

Some of the old brood hens out of Caroline get stocked into a water body.

This is what happened at the Red Deer children's pond a few years ago.

Some little kid comes home on his bicycle with an 8 pound brown. The old man sees this fish and all of a sudden decides to go fishing with his son.

SRD enforcement officers usually watch the pond. Daddy needs a fishing licence. And why is Daddy fishing in a childrens pond? I was told the stories made up were kinda funny.
Old 10-07-2014, 12:24 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, as well as those photos. Great to see those bruisers being released after a quick photo and measurement. Going to have to Google Dad's Worm Threader and see what it's all about (thanks for the tip). Guess there is only one thing for me to do now....Brown trout hunting on Glenmore!
Old 10-07-2014, 12:36 PM

I have spent the last three summers hunting for trout. The first summer I fished exclusively from shore, and did quite well catching small pike with my friend (biggest I ever caught was 5lbs). The next summer we noticed the fishing had slowed down alot, only caught a couple small pike and no trout. I had a boat that summer and spent quite a few days out in literally almost every spot in the lake. Tried bait, casting spoons, rapalas, you name it we tried it, and at at all times of the day, sunrise sunset. afternoons.. everything. Went back out this summer again with my boat a couple times, and trolled with big floating rapalas on a bottom bouncer, and tried using worms, to no avail. I've seen many large trout breach the surface taking flies, one morning last summer I saw about 15 rise within a couple hours, some of them had to be 10lb+. So if my success is any indication, fishing for trout at glenmore is really difficult, especially with the way the limits are and everybody keeping everything that they catch. The lure of massive trout inside the city is awesome, but catching them proves to be nearly impossible, for me anyway, although I have also seen pictures of massive fish caught from the res.
goodluck!
1 John 4:10
Old 10-07-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchandeat View Post
I have spent the last three summers hunting for trout. The first summer I fished exclusively from shore, and did quite well catching small pike with my friend (biggest I ever caught was 5lbs). The next summer we noticed the fishing had slowed down alot, only caught a couple small pike and no trout. I had a boat that summer and spent quite a few days out in literally almost every spot in the lake. Tried bait, casting spoons, rapalas, you name it we tried it, and at at all times of the day, sunrise sunset. afternoons.. everything. Went back out this summer again with my boat a couple times, and trolled with big floating rapalas on a bottom bouncer, and tried using worms, to no avail. I've seen many large trout breach the surface taking flies, one morning last summer I saw about 15 rise within a couple hours, some of them had to be 10lb+. So if my success is any indication, fishing for trout at glenmore is really difficult, especially with the way the limits are and everybody keeping everything that they catch. The lure of massive trout inside the city is awesome, but catching them proves to be nearly impossible, for me anyway, although I have also seen pictures of massive fish caught from the res.
goodluck!

Thanks for the info...you didn't say impossible, you said nearly. That's all I need to know, I have no problem putting in the time and don't expect any miracles. Just the idea of having a small chance to get into a 15 lber gets me excited! Thanks for all who posted on this thread, I am a newbe to the forum and really appreciate all the feedback. Good to be here
Old 10-07-2014, 02:54 PM

There is also large, escaped triploid rainbows in there
Old 10-07-2014, 02:58 PM

Quick, everyone get to the mouth of the elbow for the pillaging of black brown trout on pea gravel.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:01 PM

Did he catch 'em from shore? I dont think your allowed on personal boats to fish? Anyway I think its certainly possible but from shore? I dont think so. Apparently they stocked kokanee,atlantic salmon and others in the reservoir. And there are light coloured ''brown'' trout. As long as they have the dots and the red and blue dots they're browns
Old 10-07-2014, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Quick, everyone get to the mouth of the elbow for the pillaging of black brown trout on pea gravel.
City section is closed till winter. But there are ignorant fisherman who I guess like to walk in while someone is doing it in the bush or stream for that matter. Fish that we are talking about are Glenmore humpback whales grazing submerged weed beds.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
As long as they have the dots and the red and blue dots they're browns
uhhh blue and red are brookies dude.
Old 10-07-2014, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertafisher View Post
uhhh blue and red are brookies dude.
bud question this site?

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/ifwis/f...wn%20Trout.htm
Old 10-07-2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinN'flyfish View Post
Ooooooooo! Shots fired
Old 10-07-2014, 11:16 PM

well I'm serious, that's how learned (on the internet) and I hope that you learned somethin' today
Old 10-07-2014, 11:42 PM

Lol well it's a big difference between those two anyway, browns have black dots and brookies don't. The ones i think might get tricky are the silvery browns vs pale rainbows ...never thought until that other recent post with the pic
Old 10-07-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAirGetter View Post
Lol well it's a big difference between those two anyway, browns have black dots and brookies don't. The ones i think might get tricky are the silvery browns vs pale rainbows ...never thought until that other recent post with the pic
yep, brookies have vermiculations and the last one you mentioned is really hard to decipher which is which.... very true
Old 10-08-2014, 04:03 PM

It is very true, those huge Browns in Glenmore. I have caught them up to 31" and 12 pounds, and one year I lost one after a 20 minute fight on 6 lb. test that I conservatively estimated at about 15 pounds. It looked like a
Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow flyman View Post
It is very true, those huge Browns in Glenmore. I have caught them up to 31" and 12 pounds, and one year I lost one after a 20 minute fight on 6 lb. test that I conservatively estimated at about 15 pounds. It looked like a
Yes the fish he showed me were caught from shore. Thanks for all the feedback on this post! Great to know that trophy fish of that size are in the Rez. That being said they are that big for a reason.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Yes the fish he showed me were caught from shore. Thanks for all the feedback on this post! Great to know that trophy fish of that size are in the Rez. That being said they are that big for a reason.
from shore? that's amazing, probably used big rapalas to lure those big fish
Old 10-08-2014, 07:02 PM

SpinN'flyfish...I think you will spend your whole fishing career trying to find a brown with blue on it outside of the blue spot on the operculum. I wish you luck with that search

Last edited by goldscud; 10-08-2014 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
SpinN'flyfish...I think you will spend your whole fishing career trying to find a brown with blue on it outside of the blue spot on the operculum. I wish you luck with that search
No it doesn't really matter but I was just trying to state that it is possible to see 'em not just on brookies. Btw I think the german strain is more colourful with the blue and red spots? They're more common in the Red deer river system i think
Old 10-09-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
City section is closed till winter. But there are ignorant fisherman who I guess like to walk in while someone is doing it in the bush or stream for that matter. Fish that we are talking about are Glenmore humpback whales grazing submerged weed beds.
Really? Cause some might think theres more river to the elbow then below the dam. Realistically, theres quite a bit of water from the res all the way up to elbow lake....
Old 10-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Default biggest brown

the best surprise trout ,monster ,came upstreamm of the res,..at least 8,
no pics ,dropped cam in res, the night before,be it a,it was 10 years ago
Old 10-09-2014, 07:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Really? Cause some might think theres more river to the elbow then below the dam. Realistically, theres quite a bit of water from the res all the way up to elbow lake....
Good point Einstein! No, we Calgary fisherman had no clue that there is a river upstream of reservoir.

Thanks for pointing out where the spawners go I'm sure there are folks here who will appreciate your wisdom. Trout might not.

If you need to vent, do it where it counts, regulations need to be changed for Elbow, that's the only thing that might help that river. Current regs provide nothing for that stream. Absolutely no protection, from poachers, atv stream bed abuse, and ignorant fisherman who don't know when NOT to target certain species.

I fish many streams around Calgary and know when it's time to quit, regardless of what regulations state. I don't even fish the mighty Bow during this period, and it is 10 minutes away from my house.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:50 PM

Not really related but i think you can catch the trout and whites at the dam as they are trying to go upstream
Old 10-10-2014, 12:08 PM
Banned

Good thing to do before you head out or write on public forum about fishing is to CHECK REGULATIONS!!!

Tags
brown trout, glenmore, hybrid, photo, rainbow trout