Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you support the Tag system for keeping fish in Alberta?
Yes - as is 26 32.91%
Yes - with changes (please explain) 17 21.52%
No - not at all 30 37.97%
I don't care - C&R Only! 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 AM

Default Keeper Tag System - Poll

Someone asked for a poll, thought it'd be a good idea...

If tag prices are kept affordable, and the monies are re-injected into Fisheries Management do you support the Tag System?

... I'm assuming we're only talking about Walleye right now? This question could be worded in so many ways...
Old 02-03-2010, 10:19 AM

At this point I only C&R fish, so the tagging issue doesn't bother me much...

I do think it is a big issue amongst Alberta anglers and the fact that it's scope is widening means it should be something we're talking about...

Thats just me though...
Old 02-03-2010, 10:58 AM

This province is just gonna end up being a Trout , and Tagged Walleye fishery .

With the amount of Lakes in this Province , and the amount of Anglers is way greater , then other provinces in this country .

Now with the closure Of walleye fishing ( catch and release only or your walleye draw ) Anglers are out catching Other Species that they normally wouldn't of Kept in past . What I'm saying is that this province needs to step up and step up fast , to do some protecting of the other species . Sure there's some lakes , around that see very little fishing pressure . Sure there are some lakes that you can Catch and keep 1 or 2 Walleye , but for the majority Its all Catch and release or Tags .

So Now You have the Mighty Walleye who is restricted , What about the Pike , and Burbot and others ?

I bet in 5 to 10 years we will be seeing this Province go Totally Catch and release , Ither that or wipe out entire species , that would and shouldn't of happened. Then you get to listen to the Government say Oh we should of done this and this .
Old 02-03-2010, 11:11 AM

good points BBJ, I think it's a huge task...

not only do we have to be very forward thinking, but also make sure we look after things RIGHT NOW...
Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM

my opinion is that they should have a tag system in place for all species at certain lakes not for just one species in those lakes. that is the lake is basically closed to keeping fish unless you have a tag for that lake and species. by just having a zero limit or tag for only one species at these lakes, all we are doing is unbalancing the makeup of the lake to favour the species that is C&R. i am a firm believer that the only force that is fully capable of regulating and maintaining a healthy eco-system is Mother Nature herself. she has been doing it for centuries and has it down pat pretty good. it's when you throw in humans (either fishermen, biologist or worse yet the Government) is when the problems start to happen.

every lake or body of water can sustain a reasonable amount of harvest and still maintain a healthy cross section of fish in it. the problem is that without a tag system there is no way to control this harvest effectively. they do this with hunting tags, so it is not a huge stretch to apply to fishing either. if they just let hunters go out and hunt wherever they wanted like they do with the fishery, game would be wiped out in certain areas in no time and then the hunters would just move to the next area and wipe it out also.

put and take fisheries such as stocked trout ponds i have no problem with the way they are as that is why they are set up like that in the first place.

I feel the tag system if implemented properly can be the most effective conservation tool the government can use to maintain a healthy fishery. and a tag is only $10, most fishermen spend 10x that everytime they walk into their fishing store just to pick up bait for the weekend. i don't like that the money just goes to General Revenue so it may or may not get back into the proper dept depending on the governments whim that day but that is a whole other kettle of fish.

that is my opinion on the matter, lets hear your opinions and solutions.

rgds
Mike
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Status Quo

Nope don't like it . Not one bit.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 AM

No, thanks for the poll
Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM

Interesting to see how many anglers are ok with the tagging system (including if changes were made)...

I might have to apply for a tag this year and try it all out just so I can actually form an opinion...
Old 02-03-2010, 01:10 PM

Don't know much about the tag system, but it seems smart. No different than hunting. Its all about controlling populations of fish. Definately dont want to see it all go C and R. C and R works very well for trout, but won't work for walleye pike etc. I love how the brown fishing has turned around in this province. C and R has really worked well for Browns.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 PM

I personally like our tag system the thing i would change is that ever only ever second year you could keep fish. They used to do this in the foothills around sundre way back when before making many places catch and release.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:58 PM

I agree with tag but with changes, limiting of 2 or 3 fish a year, unreasonable, look at the meat you get off one deer or moose, how can you say 2 fish are equal to that when the tag is going to be similar cost, im not saying increase to a crazy amount like 50 or anything, but make it reasonable. Also what about the ppl who aren't drawn, this just gives them more of a reason to poach, and then there is no record at all of how many fish are accuatly removed.

And stop letting ppl net collapsed lakes, look at Touchwood, lake has been close for 8 or more years, and every year there are nets on it, kind of counter productive isn't it.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:48 PM

Tag system's a good idea as we have a system where the available harvest is much less than the demand. I have three problems with the current implementation:
1. Not enough fish cops to enforce.
2. The $10 goes to IBM and their shareholders.
3. Why can't the application be done online as opposed to dialing up and paying for the wait time?
Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 PM

I think you should be able to just purchase a tag like any other and not have to be drawn, that would give everyone an opportunity. It doesn't matter all that much to me though because I'm not fishing for the food, it's for the fun. I could sure buy A LOT more fish for A LOT less than what it costs me to fish.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Banned

Default Tag System

I believe that until the government incorporates a system to accurately measure how many anglers there are in Alberta, the tag system may be the most effective management tool them have. I have no idea how they attempt to manage fisheries when they have no idea how many anglers there are in the province. Because there is no licence required for anglers under 16 and over 65, and how many natives fish and what quantities they use, they have no idea how many anglers are actually using the resource. How do you possibly decide on keep rates without knowing these numbers, which I am sure is in the thousands, I assume it is by best guess now.
Knowing the numbers is not the answer to everything but I believe it would sure help. Everyone who fishes in the province should have to get a licence, this ensures they all get a copy of the regs every year and at least you would know how many users you actually have. I dont say you would necessarily have to charge for children under 16 or those over 65, but they should still have to get a licence, just to be used as a management tool if nothing else. I personally would have no problem buying a licence for my children though, children participate in numerous sports and I dont know of any of them that they can do year round, 24 hours a day for free.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:22 AM

Make all lakes all fish C&R for 5 years and let our lakes recover. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:34 AM

If sportfishermen are going to be controlled by way of a tag system, or catch and release, unlimited netting by our indigenous Canadians should necessarily be controlled as well. What purpose does it serve to limit one sector of the population, while another privileged sector can take as many of any and all species as they want!!
Old 02-04-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
If sportfishermen are going to be controlled by way of a tag system, or catch and release, unlimited netting by our indigenous Canadians should necessarily be controlled as well. What purpose does it serve to limit one sector of the population, while another privileged sector can take as many of any and all species as they want!!
I totally agree
Old 02-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebuck View Post
Well said. They way it works today is totally discriminatory.

Perhaps if we kick and scream like the indigenous folks always do, the government just might have to change. There are more votes from us then there are from them and public pressure can be a powerful tool in a democratic society. All we are asking is for everyone to follow the same rules!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM

Why not issue a number of general tags for varying species with every license bought. That way, if you want to keep the odd fish, it's "Free" (included with the cost of purchasing a license). If you want more, pay for more, up to a provincial or personal quota for harvest.

Who knows if this would work or not, just thinking out loud.