Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Default Pigeon Lake!

Any buddy been out yet? Are the EYES hitting?
Old 06-17-2010, 10:31 PM

yup me and the wee one were out all day yesterday and acording to her count 178 fish in the boat total .....the absolute best day I have ever had on the down side there was only one out of them that fell into my undersubscribed tags...but that being said it was one heck of a day!!
Old 06-17-2010, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curteck View Post
yup me and the wee one were out all day yesterday and acording to her count 178 fish in the boat total .....the absolute best day I have ever had on the down side there was only one out of them that fell into my undersubscribed tags...but that being said it was one heck of a day!!
Did you happen to catch any with some size to them?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 PM

I got a few lunkers last year....... with them when its on its on 20-100 in a day...... if not a few smalleyes and a pike day for sure
Old 06-18-2010, 08:19 AM

there were a few in the 5 lbs range(just a guess i like to not even take them out of the waterwhen releasing) but nothing huge sure was fun. On a side note anyone out there know where the smaller one hang out ......do smaller fish hang out in shallower water no hot spots just a general idea where they hang out?
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
there were a few in the 5 lbs range(just a guess i like to not even take them out of the waterwhen releasing) but nothing huge sure was fun. On a side note anyone out there know where the smaller one hang out ......do smaller fish hang out in shallower water no hot spots just a general idea where they hang out?
LOL...trying to find where the smallers ones hang out is the exact opposite on what regularily goes on here lol.

I dunno man, i don't think the little ones pattern differently, as far as I know.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Yup it does read fairly weird lol ,but with the small size alotment for the class C ......well lol
Old 06-18-2010, 11:01 AM

Curtek, I have fished Pigeon for Walleye a lot. From May till September I use to average 3-4 times a week.
From my experience the Walleyes mingle with each other. There doesn’t seem to be a spot were the big ones hang out or a spot where the little ones hang out. This may be different in other lakes though.
My favorite places to fish use to have 17’ of water in them. Now that the lake has lower water levels these same places only have 15’ of water.
Good Luck out there. I am sure you will have no problem filling those tags.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 06-18-2010, 11:13 AM

Ya for the fishing i have done there the 17 foot mark was the magic # if you will but this last trip 19 was it I can assume the change was from low water levels.As for the little guys I guess I will have to suffer it out catching the bigger ones too.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Ya for the fishing i have done there the 17 foot mark was the magic # if you will but this last trip 19 was it I can assume the change was from low water levels.As for the little guys I guess I will have to suffer it out catching the bigger ones too.
In my experience, I have found that the "point" at the south end of Silver Beach seems to yield more smaller ones... and they are plentiful. I often fish with my 5y/o and 7y/o kids there and it keeps them busy. 10-13 feet does the trick.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:26 PM

On sidenote, has the boat launch at the Prov. Park improved since the rain?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:50 PM

We have been to Pigeon Lake and caught perhaps over 1000 walleye in the past years and have not caught a 5lber. We caught many 6 pounders, but that was 5-6 years ago. A 21 inch walleye at pigeon weighs 2.5 pounds just to let you know. You should be thankful, because at pigeon a 5 pounder is a trophy there. Does anyone else agree with me. Maybe I'm the only one who can't catch anything over 3 pounds there. By the way, did you get any pictures?
Old 06-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Sorry guys no pics ,left the camera on the counter in the garagewas really excited to get out and forgot it now it is in there for the season was out on sunday again the bite was not as strong but did have a great day watchin the kidlets have fun draggin them up off the bottom,was a great fathers day outing.As for the launch it has improved with the plastic dock that is now there I can get in and out of the water with no hassels or wet feet.

Sheldon