Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2010, 05:50 PM

Default What a day!!!

Wow. So I have never caught a sturgeon before. To this day I still havent... But today I hooked onto 2 sturgeon.. They both jumped out of the water and spit the hook out. Sturgeon number one was an easy 40lbs. I fought it for about 10 minutes, and it was peeling line like crazy. It jumped out of the water and spit my hook. Biggest disappointment of my life. Sturgeon number two came around 3pm, and It also jumped. Looked to be in the 15-20 area. Again, when it jumped it spit the hook. I have been fishing this river my whole life, and have never even seen a sturgeon let alone hook one, and I hooked 2 today! Also got some goldeye, buddy got a 4lb walleye, and we hooked up about 15 large suckers. What a great day. I thought I would share my story, I am still very excited.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:06 PM

How is the water level? is it dirty?
Old 07-14-2010, 07:33 PM

Try tilting your rod down and to the side when fish jump it will help alleviate the hook pulling out. Good luck.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:55 PM

Lots of fun ,now your hooked. Were you fishing the NSR in Edmonton ?
Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM

As long as you learned a lesson with the 2 fish then all is good, knowing that you hooked one is more then most of as can say,,
congrats on hooking one and know the GPS to where you were
Old 07-14-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayingfish View Post
Wow. So I have never caught a sturgeon before. To this day I still havent... But today I hooked onto 2 sturgeon.. They both jumped out of the water and spit the hook out. Sturgeon number one was an easy 40lbs. I fought it for about 10 minutes, and it was peeling line like crazy. It jumped out of the water and spit my hook. Biggest disappointment of my life. Sturgeon number two came around 3pm, and It also jumped. Looked to be in the 15-20 area. Again, when it jumped it spit the hook. I have been fishing this river my whole life, and have never even seen a sturgeon let alone hook one, and I hooked 2 today! Also got some goldeye, buddy got a 4lb walleye, and we hooked up about 15 large suckers. What a great day. I thought I would share my story, I am still very excited.
Good stuff Guitar The sturg bite seems to have slowed around here...perhaps they went your way
What riv are you fishing?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Good stuff Guitar The sturg bite seems to have slowed around here...perhaps they went your way
What riv are you fishing?
Sorry, river and spot is a secret. I went back tonight... Lots of suckers, 2 massive sturgeon got away and than finally, my brother showed up and within 15 minutes he hooked and brought in a 20-25lb sturgeon. 1 out of 5 sturgs were brought in today... 3 of which were lost by me =(. the 20-25lb sturg caught was also the smallest one seen today!! I LOVE STURGEON FISHING@!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Sorry, river and spot is a secret. I went back tonight... Lots of suckers, 2 massive sturgeon got away and than finally, my brother showed up and within 15 minutes he hooked and brought in a 20-25lb sturgeon. 1 out of 5 sturgs were brought in today... 3 of which were lost by me =(. the 20-25lb sturg caught was also the smallest one seen today!! I LOVE STURGEON FISHING@!
X2, it's an addiction for sure I was just curious which river you are fishing. Not looking for your spot lol. Have caught close to a hundred sturg this year so far so quite content with me spots.
Anyways, good to hear your on to them, have fun n GL
Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM

I can see keeping the exact spot a secret, but the whole river is your secret???? come on.....
Old 07-15-2010, 02:00 PM

a good fishing hole is worth the secret, dont tell anyone. We know its on the north sask thats good enough. So now the rest of us have to get off our asses and get out there and maybe just maybe find our own hole in the process.
Old 07-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
a good fishing hole is worth the secret, dont tell anyone. We know its on the north sask thats good enough. So now the rest of us have to get off our asses and get out there and maybe just maybe find our own hole in the process.
Actually, It is in a river I have fished my whole life, and never caught or even seen a sturgeon. It was a real shock. OLDMAN RIVER!!! YEAH!!! I couldn't believe how big those sturgeon were, especially at the spot I was fishing. It was a totally unexpected place to see these beautiful dinosaurs. =)

NSR sucks. I hate it, and I havent caught much out of it, nor have I tried. SSR on the otherhand... =)
Old 07-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Actually, It is in a river I have fished my whole life, and never caught or even seen a sturgeon. It was a real shock. OLDMAN RIVER!!! YEAH!!! I couldn't believe how big those sturgeon were, especially at the spot I was fishing. It was a totally unexpected place to see these beautiful dinosaurs. =)

NSR sucks. I hate it, and I havent caught much out of it, nor have I tried. SSR on the otherhand... =)
Now THAT was a bit of info worth keeping to yourself!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:

That is awesome. Makes sense they are in there as it does connect with the SSR. Maybe has something to do with all the high water of late. Nevertheless, BONUS!!!