Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-08-2010, 11:17 PM

Default Alberta fishing in general

I put this on another post on a sister site. Please give me your thoughts!!

I think everybody in Alberta is looking for lake X !! with every perch is 12 inches. Unfortunately those days are gone. Low water levels, poaching, commercial fishing, High pressure, pollution (outbreak of coliforms at Pigeon, not from animals), smarter and better fisherpeople, oil companies using Megalitres of water, stocking besides trout is just about nil, and over development of the few jewels we had left.

The lakes that do contain some perch left are far and few between. They are lots of lakes with perch 3 inches long. I blame government cutbacks, less and less fish and wildlife officers and many other things. I have been fishing for over 30 years in AB and have never seen it so pathetic. When was the last time we stocked any lakes with Walleye besides fry or guys that are 3" long that have to fight for there lives.

In the 80's there was a big push to stock some lakes with Walleye. (Vincent by ST. Paul, Garner lake, Manns lake) are some of them that I have fished. So now we go out and put tags out to catch the few that are left. What a cash cow.

Beside writing are local politicians and practicing catch and release what else can we do?

I even took a trip to Andrew Lake Lodge this summer and stayed at Leland lake. Guess what. The average walleye was 15" and we had people in camp keeping 10 to 20 of these guys a day. Even our fly in lakes are taking a beating. So any given weekend 300 Walleye (spawners) are kept with no one regulating it. The owner could give a Shi_ as long as people are paying to see what is going on and have some kind of control mechanism on North and South Leland.

Sorry for my rant, but I have seen a decline in our lakes from year to year. I do not know what the answer is.

I am going to Sask more this winter. However more and more people are going there too.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:44 AM

just a thought to add - One issue we all seem to forget - regarding fishing pressure, which in my opinion, may be the largest contributing factor - consider the following;

Alberta 9,000 lakes

Sask 90,000 lakes

Manitoba 155,000 lakes

Guess which province has the largest population? Fisheries management folks cannot apply the same programs and ideas to this province as they would in other jurisdictions. We need policies and practices congruent with our unique conditions.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishunter77 View Post
I put this on another post on a sister site. Please give me your thoughts!!

I think everybody in Alberta is looking for lake X !! with every perch is 12 inches. Unfortunately those days are gone. Low water levels, poaching, commercial fishing, High pressure, pollution (outbreak of coliforms at Pigeon, not from animals), smarter and better fisherpeople, oil companies using Megalitres of water, stocking besides trout is just about nil, and over development of the few jewels we had left.

The lakes that do contain some perch left are far and few between. They are lots of lakes with perch 3 inches long. I blame government cutbacks, less and less fish and wildlife officers and many other things. I have been fishing for over 30 years in AB and have never seen it so pathetic. When was the last time we stocked any lakes with Walleye besides fry or guys that are 3" long that have to fight for there lives.

In the 80's there was a big push to stock some lakes with Walleye. (Vincent by ST. Paul, Garner lake, Manns lake) are some of them that I have fished. So now we go out and put tags out to catch the few that are left. What a cash cow.

Beside writing are local politicians and practicing catch and release what else can we do?

I even took a trip to Andrew Lake Lodge this summer and stayed at Leland lake. Guess what. The average walleye was 15" and we had people in camp keeping 10 to 20 of these guys a day. Even our fly in lakes are taking a beating. So any given weekend 300 Walleye (spawners) are kept with no one regulating it. The owner could give a Shi_ as long as people are paying to see what is going on and have some kind of control mechanism on North and South Leland.

Sorry for my rant, but I have seen a decline in our lakes from year to year. I do not know what the answer is.

I am going to Sask more this winter. However more and more people are going there too.
Your not looking hard enough, you mean you can't find them in your backyard? Seems to many are just looking for a sure thing? I ask you where is the challenge in that.

Go to sask then we could use the extra parking!!
Old 10-09-2010, 12:09 PM

I totally agree with Moose
I got back into fishing after a very long time and fishing is the pits from what I remember it being quite a few years ago
I try and get out as much as I can locally at some of the stocked ponds but unless you get out just after they have been stocked(Before its fished out)
you can spend hours upon hours and not even get a bit
I also fish Cold lake,Long lake,Greg lake and lakes in between with little to show for my efforts.Im not saying I dont catch any fish it just not what it used to be and going out to Wabamun all the time to catch pike just for the sake of catching something once in awhile is getting plain borring
Old 10-09-2010, 03:37 PM

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. I agree, fishing has noticeably gotten worse over the years. There is more pollution, more fisherman, more poaching, and the list continues for quite a while. On the other hand, there are a lot of beautiful spots left, and some big fish to be caught. Unfortunately for those who may be getting on in their years or have a bad knees, etc...These spots are hard to access. This is really a shame.. So many people are neglected the opportunity to go out and catch fish. There really should be more regulation and more CO's out and about too. I RARELY see CO's, only when I go to certain "hot spot" lakes or rivers. It seems like they don't even visit the smaller lakes, or the out of the way rivers. Too many times have I seen people doing things they shouldn't be, and there was only so much I could do. There are too many people in this world who don't understand that nature is GIVE AND TAKE.

Anyway, that's my spiel for the day.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:42 PM

I agree, fishing has noticeably gotten worse over the years. But I still catch 12" perch and This year my target was walleye. Well I caught more walleye this summer than perch all last winter and more than in the last 30 years. Just go to Calling lake once and you will see. F&W have def not been stocking perch and supporting the species tho with hard enough regs for them. Perch limits should be zero for a few years to let them repopulate. Sounds like you need to change lakes or improve your skills tho. Walleye have been stocked more than ever before in the lakes, the perch have not tho. In some ways I think that is not a good idea as walleye are all most as bad as pike for eating the perch. Now days you have to hunt them not fish for them. Any one can drop a hook in the water but you have to know what your doing now days to be able to catch. Thats one reason us seasoned fisherman and women need to teach the kids of today. Pass the knowledge down and make there experiance an enjoyable one. I'm not saying you have to keep all, but have fun and improve your skills.
Take a kid out today and they will remember the experiance and you forever.

Last edited by Kim473; 10-09-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 05:28 PM

It's hard not to disagree with any of the statements on this thread. I as well have been fishing close to 30 years and you don't notice the changes until you look back. This year I decided to have a log book (calender) that I will post the fish that I caught, where i caught it and with what i caught it on. This way I can see the actual pattern that is happening. Looking at my log book this year I caught allot of walleye, and very few pike. I can't remember the last time I caught a perch. 30 years ago I would gaurentee it would be the opposite way in my log book. It all depends too where you fish as I have changed my habits in the last 30 years.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:52 PM

Default nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
just a thought to add - One issue we all seem to forget - regarding fishing pressure, which in my opinion, may be the largest contributing factor - consider the following;

Alberta 9,000 lakes

Sask 90,000 lakes

Manitoba 155,000 lakes

Guess which province has the largest population? Fisheries management folks cannot apply the same programs and ideas to this province as they would in other jurisdictions. We need policies and practices congruent with our unique conditions.
i wish alberta had 9000 lakes!!!! think you mean 900.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:52 PM

generally these lakes with stunted walleye or tiny perch are because they are overpopulated and there isn't enough food in the lake to support trophies. you complain about the small size and yet you also complain about people taking a number of these fish home. spend more time looking for a lake that suits your fishing style better, and less time contradicting your own argument.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Small fish isn't the problem... IMO Its the pollution, and the number of irresponsible fisherman.