PowerPro 30 37.97%
Suffix 4 5.06%
Spiderwire 12 15.19%
Stren 3 3.80%
Fireline 24 30.38%
Other 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2011, 07:33 AM

I've been a long term fireline user for a number of years but have decided to change to power pro for this year with a flouro leader. I prefer to use the yellow hi-vis line with a 4' leader. Finally found yellow power pro at BPS on Monday to I will spool up a spining reel and give it a try.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:34 AM

I liek fireline and spider wire. I use 6 lb fireline on my rod for pike and walleye at pigeon. I use 20 lb line for the kidlets and my wife as they do not know how to adjust the drag if they were to catch an unusually large fish.

use a leader with my kids only because they like to change their hooks every 2 minutes. I tie my hook directly to the line
Old 02-23-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Ok NM this is pretty much the first time one of your posts hasnt made much sense to me. you are comparing this

to this

Haha...I hear you wayne! Not everyone is fishing buggers like that though. That is a monster. But seriously though, the human insicors are just as sharp and you can get a lot of torque behind them. I can bite through 20 LB mono, can't to 15 lb flouro and can't bite through 15 LB+ powerpro. I think that's a pretty good guide.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:31 AM

Just switched to power pro. If I ever catch a fish I'll post my review, but it looks great!! LOL.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:59 AM

I've had 10 lb fire line outlast the reels it was spooled on. Also been using 6lb fire line for vertical jogging and am really happy with that, the thin diameter is the bomb. The problem is the heavier lb test on the bait cast pike outfits, I think I'll give the power pro a whirl this year.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topwater View Post
I've had 10 lb fire line outlast the reels it was spooled on. Also been using 6lb fire line for vertical jogging and am really happy with that, the thin diameter is the bomb. The problem is the heavier lb test on the bait cast pike outfits, I think I'll give the power pro a whirl this year.
Same here. I've never had a problem with Fireline. If it's getting beat up on rocks, snags, fish, etc... then yeah, it will fray, but you cut off a few feet, retie, and you're good to go. If you think your mono or power pro isn't deteriorating in the same way, you're kidding yourself. I can't wrap my head around some of the comments here regarding Fireline, I find it hard to believe that people can have such a different experience with the same product.

That said, I have tried the Spiderwire and power pro and I simply didn't care for either of them. I really didn't like the spiderwire and the power pro was too much like cable to me and not enough like a supple fishing line. I wouldn't use either again. I really don't think there's a right answer, just whichever one a person likes best.

I am looking forward to trying the 10lb and 6lb Suffix 832 this year. It might be a gimmick, but I think it has potential to be my go to line for most techniques.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:23 AM

Yeah that's the key with all line I think is to trim off a couple feet every once in a while. And on my reels with fire line After two years I'll peel it off and respool it reversed and run it for two more years

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
Same here. I've never had a problem with Fireline. If it's getting beat up on rocks, snags, fish, etc... then yeah, it will fray, but you cut off a few feet, retie, and you're good to go. If you think your mono or power pro isn't deteriorating in the same way, you're kidding yourself.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:49 AM

I also think it matters what type of reel you are running. A cheap reel is much harder on line and it wears a lot faster. Not everyone can afford a quality reel.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeones View Post
Same here. I've never had a problem with Fireline. If it's getting beat up on rocks, snags, fish, etc... then yeah, it will fray, but you cut off a few feet, retie, and you're good to go. If you think your mono or power pro isn't deteriorating in the same way, you're kidding yourself. I can't wrap my head around some of the comments here regarding Fireline, I find it hard to believe that people can have such a different experience with the same product.

That said, I have tried the Spiderwire and power pro and I simply didn't care for either of them. I really didn't like the spiderwire and the power pro was too much like cable to me and not enough like a supple fishing line. I wouldn't use either again. I really don't think there's a right answer, just whichever one a person likes best.

I am looking forward to trying the 10lb and 6lb Suffix 832 this year. It might be a gimmick, but I think it has potential to be my go to line for most techniques.
I agree freeones with your overall statement. I like fireline its never failed me, but im not gung ho to entertain a discussion when others call a proven product junk. Especially a product thats endorsed by some respected people in the industry and then has never failed me and im completely satisfied. I agree each person has their own ways to determine whats their preference.
I also think this is a undefined discussion as Ive never fished in Alberta with anything close to 50lb line.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
I agree freeones with your overall statement. I like fireline its never failed me, but im not gung ho to entertain a discussion when others call a proven product junk. Especially a product thats endorsed by some respected people in the industry and then has never failed me and im completely satisfied. I agree each person has their own ways to determine whats their preference.
I also think this is a undefined discussion as Ive never fished in Alberta with anything close to 50lb line.
I don't think you can put any stock into who endorses what. Heck, if I was a pro and fireline paid me thousands and loads of free stuff, why wouldn't you endorse it. Means nothing to me.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
I don't think you can put any stock into who endorses what. Heck, if I was a pro and fireline paid me thousands and loads of free stuff, why wouldn't you endorse it. Means nothing to me.

who said anything about a pro?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I had a different response ready to go the first time around, and then for the reasons I underlined I deleted it and started over. I completely agree, sometimes it's just not worth the effort.

An unpaid endorsement from an angler I respect speaks volumes to me, we're definitely on the same page there. As for the paid endorsement of products, yes, sometimes it needs to be taken with a grain of salt, and I'm always aware of that. For the most part though, if someone is endorsing a product they don't truely believe in or that isn't a quality product, that'll quickly come to light, and that person's reputation will pretty much be toast. A person's reputation is the most valuable thing they have when it comes to the fishing game, so most won't gamble with it to make a few bucks. I know I wouldn't. The "pros" also have to fish with what they're promoting, so if they felt the product was putting them at a disadvantage to the competition, those endorsement cheques better be pretty big, because results count.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Banned

ultimately, IMO it all depends on what each individual is looking for in a line. All the braids will perform very similar, yet have subtle differences that satisfy the needs of different anglers. Personally, I am experimenting with a couple different types of braids. so far right now i am liking power pro right now for 2 main reasons. I do like the stiffness in it which makes tying knots quick and easy. the second reason is because i find that powerpro gets less ice buildup on it. and the very little ice that does form breaks off easily on my guides when reeling in. also doesnt freeze on my reels much. i have more problems with freezing guides than i do freezing line now. My opinion might change of power pro when open water comes but we will see.

Like i said. highly depended on what each angler wants out of the lines they use. some wont like power pro because of its stiffness.

That said, I understand what you guys are talking about when it comes to experienced anglers "endorsing" certain lines. I agree that i tend to listen to these respected anglers. but ultimately i still think people evaluate products differently based on their own needs. that doesnt make that other angler wrong, just values different qualities. but when i am going through and decided what lines to try next, thats when i listen to these guys and weigh their opinions
Old 02-23-2011, 08:09 PM

You guys all suck LOL Fly fishing RULES!!!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:55 PM

i am useing power pro now as i am half blind and i can see it to tie the knots....maybe thats why were not catching any fish...lol...jk...it was recomended to me by nicemustang on a post as i couldnt decide what to buy as i was frustrated with line and it has worked well for me and i wasnt joking about my eyesight....that line really helps me in that respect and it is super strong
Old 02-23-2011, 08:58 PM

I have Fireline on one spool and its 20lbs. its a good 6+ years old and still strong as Hell! the only thing I didn't like about it was that on a aluminium spool , I could not tie a Knot thats would stop the whole line from turning on the spool. so I had to switch it to a plastic one. I like mono.
I tried a 4lb braided line for perch one time and found it was to sensitive for me. back to mono
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM

oh ya and if you get it snagged on the bottom...DO NOT WRAP YOUR HAND IN THE LINE AS THEY WILL BE SEWING YOUR HAND BACK ON....
Old 02-23-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
I have Fireline on one spool and its 20lbs. its a good 6+ years old and still strong as Hell! the only thing I didn't like about it was that on a aluminium spool , I could not tie a Knot thats would stop the whole line from turning on the spool. so I had to switch it to a plastic one. I like mono.
I tried a 4lb braided line for perch one time and found it was to sensitive for me. back to mono
rbh...use your regular knot..then take electrical tape and do one wrap covering the knot and the base of the spool...wind your line over the tape
Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
rbh...use your regular knot..then take electrical tape and do one wrap covering the knot and the base of the spool...wind your line over the tape
thanks Chub, I will try that next time i re spool. it just sucked to find out the hard way on 6lb bulltrout . I was winding and not getting any where.and was not fun trying to pull that line by hand. ah the joys of fishing,
Old 02-23-2011, 09:21 PM

Or you can use a mono backing before you start your braid.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicemustang View Post
Or you can use a mono backing before you start your braid.
X2, This work great!
Old 02-24-2011, 05:41 PM

got 4 spools of of the new suffix.....woot woot im cool now

and

another spool of vanish snuck in the bag...heheeeeeeeheeheeeee
Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM

Hey Darter,

I have never had any problems with vanish either. Good to hear you are going to test out the new suffix.

Let me know how it works for you. I am thinking about getting a few rods spooled up with it this summer.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:34 PM

PowerPro 25 39.06%
Suffix 3 4.69%
Spiderwire 11 17.19%
Stren 0 0%
Fireline 19 29.69%
Other 6 9.38%

Those are the results so far..

Seems like its "each to his own" situation.. I think i will use powerpro for pike and fireline with fluro leader for trout.

I would love to know what the 6 guys that selected "other" are using.... Berkley Big Game is the only one i know of that i forgot.

PS: for easy to read poll results, just go to the actual poll results
Old 02-24-2011, 07:08 PM

all i can tell you is this Suffix 832 feels alot like Fireline. Its limp and holds a knot really well.
AND IT SINKS
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 PM

All of the braids I've used have had their ups and downs. I'll list my personal favorite braids from most to least favorite.

1. Power Pro. Pros: Very smooth through rod guides, great knot strength, very abrasion resistant, good shock resistance, and awesome sensativity, Cons: Looses colouration quickly, can be fairly tricky to handle and line strength deteriorates quicker than usual.

2. Stren Braid. Pros: Extremely smooth through rod guides,very limp, and awesome sensitivity.
Cons: Very poor abrasion resistance and very poor knot strength, poor shock resistance, and tricky to handle.

3. Fireline. Pros: Excellent shock resistance, good knot strength, great abrassion resistance, good sensativity, and very easy to handle.
Cons: Rough through guides.

4. Spider Wire. Pros: Much stronger than line rating, and good sensativity.
Cons: Horrible shock resistance, and questionable abrasion resistance and tricky to handle.

For flourocarbon, Vanish works great. Vanish dissapears very well and this is the only line that my buddy has caught whitefish on. If you go with vanish, make sure you test the knots. Vanish can have a very sketchy knot strength.

People can mess with life, but people can't mess with time.

Last edited by Jwood 456; 02-24-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Hey Darter,

I have never had any problems with vanish either. Good to hear you are going to test out the new suffix.

Let me know how it works for you. I am thinking about getting a few rods spooled up with it this summer.
nate so far so good.....it really feels and acts like fireline.
even tryed a few casts on top of the ice. No helicopter sounds like alot of braids...acts like a fusion.
its slick like fireline and water shakes and doesnt collect and freeze bad.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:33 PM

After fishing with 50 lb Power Pro this weekend, 2 things became apparent.

1. A leader is required when fishing for Pike with this line. They can get through the line easy enough with their teeth.

2. This stuff cuts through hands like nobody's business when a 21 lb pike decides to go for a 20 foot run! LOL!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
After fishing with 50 lb Power Pro this weekend, 2 things became apparent.

1. A leader is required when fishing for Pike with this line. They can get through the line easy enough with their teeth.

2. This stuff cuts through hands like nobody's business when a 21 lb pike decides to go for a 20 foot run! LOL!
be careful of lines that act like a cable saw.....if a fish goes for a long hard run the line will carve a slit in the bottom edge of the hole......then try figure out how to get her head lined up into the hole....lol....been there done that