Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-20-2018, 05:34 PM

Default Project Completed - Fish Cat 4 Float Tube Repair Custom Mod Trick Out Fishin Machine

After my tube had an air bladder leak and needed repairs I was fortunate to use Scott’s “Caddis Float Tube” that comes with factory installed oar locks/oars/paddles. It was so much easier rowing out to deeper water vs my flipper power, I also felt safer in the event the wind came up or I got a leg cramp, I could easily row back to shore. That inspired me to modify and customize my tube and make it more user friendly. As well, I didn’t want to upgrade to anything bigger, my tube weighs 14 lbs, it easily fits fully inflated in my SUV. I ordered a new padded seat, oar locks & oars/paddles from Aquamarine Boats Vancouver, ($170.00 plus mail), I repaired my air bladders and the started to remove and reattach components.

Here’s a bunch of pic’s of the project.

D.

Before:

After:

Removed old back rest for new molded Kayak seat

Attached/sewed on 3 snap clips

Used the foam from the old seat “back” and added it under the seat so I sit higher in the water.

Kayak seat has nice 18” molded back with lots of adjustment.

Carefully removed both storage compartments using a seam cutter, flipped them around & moved then back approx. 12” to accommodate the rod holder and the new oar locks.

Had some Cdn Tire Shoe Goo used for vinyl repairs & glued the vinyl oar locks to the nylon tube fabric. Then took the tube into a shoe repair guy in R/D who double stitched all the components back on to my tube, got a deal at $45.00.

Installed/sewed on 2 snap clips to attach/remove my rod holder.

Installed/sewed on snap clip for my retractable fish net.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:35 PM

Default Part 2 - cont'd

Had to cut off 1 ½” off the 2 piece alum paddles/oars , it was easy to remove the rubber handle on the top end, final length is 54 ½”.

Paddles slide onto a S/S bolt & nut holds them in place. Added a snap ring on the back D-Ring to secure the paddle to the side of the tube while flipper fishing or hiking/back packing to lake.

Installed my side tray that I got from Fishin Hole & added multi spare rod holder, used 2 snap rings it lifts up & out of the way when using the paddles.

Project completed, hope some of the mods inspire others, looking forward to next season.

A couple of pic’s of Scott’s “Bass Pro Caddis” tube that inspired my mod.

Now I can work on a few more new W/W creations.

Cheers

D.

Old 11-20-2018, 06:11 PM

Those are some great ideas, I like your seat modification.
Old 11-20-2018, 09:43 PM

mines waaaaayyyy better
Old 11-22-2018, 03:18 PM

Hey - Like that Oar idea. That's my biggest drawback of using mine wishing it had oars. I too had to build up my seat as my pant waders would get a scoop of water if leaned too far back without sitting up higher.

I also thought if I just had one small paddle and paddle backwards if that would help or I would just turn.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:37 PM

Scott N …. I searched Amazon, there are a number of suppliers for the Kayak Seat, decided to get all my components from a Cdn source, paid $60.00 to Aquamarine & saved some delivery charges.

Happy …. waaaaayyyy better ???? ….. you challenging me to race for pink slips my Z-z tube always wins!

Darren N
….. after rowing Scott’s “Caddis tube” you could cover a lot of distance easily & it was effortless. I don’t believe using 1 paddle or a kayak style double paddle would work very well with a float tube as you would have to paddle as you mentioned backwards or in reverse otherwise you may end up going in circles. The oar locks were $25.00 each the 2 paddles $59.00/both, not a major investment.

I posted the following “Air Cell or Bladder Repairs” under another thread, decided to cut/paste it here to incorporate all the info into this thread for those who may have future issues and search the forum looking for past recommendations/solutions.

Keywords = Float Tube Vinyl Air Cell Bladder Seam Tear Repair Type B Patch Successful

I had some Cdn Tire “Goop” and inserted the applicator into the seam to bond the inside of the tear, I used a teaspoon to work it back into the damaged area. Used some sandpaper to rough up the vinyl area I was going to patch, then clean it with acetone, or use alcohol wipes, now you’re ready for the repair. Scott gave me some of his “Tear Aid” he got it from Princess Auto, I used a small amount to patch the initial tear in the seam. I found the Stanley Vinyl Repair at Cdn Tire, it’s used for swimming pool seam repairs, I used it to make a large patch to cover the entire seam. In other words I made a double patch. After the repair I inflated the tube to 60% and allowed the Goop & seam repair material set for 24 hours then filled the bladder to 90% and let it sit overnight, no leaks.

Lesson Learned - Don't over inflate it will blow a seam!

A few Pic’s

D.

Old 11-22-2018, 08:47 PM

yes.....waaaayyyyy better

https://imgur.com/a/zWBT58m