Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-22-2018, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkerwhite View Post
Did you submit your head with antlers attached to a fw freezer? Was it returned in good shape from the freezer? Or how did you work around that for your mount. I'm not well versed in taxidermy or the cwd submission. But if like to start hunting a property more frequently and was wondering how i best go about the skull. As I really like euro mounts.

Any advice from folks.

And sorry to hear about your results great buck btw.

Thanks.
Any heads submitted are not returned.
http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...g-disease.aspx
Old 11-22-2018, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
Mule deer were on a draw long before we had CWD. It's a management tool on a limited resource.
My complaint has nothing to do with trophy hunting.. I put in and got a mule deer doe tag. I deliberately harvested a young meat deer. I butchered it and dropped off the head for testing. I was surprised when it came back positive.
I don't care if trophy hunters play some kind of lottery with the draw system I'm saying there is some responsibility on the government to level the playing field. I'm talking about a meat deer here. Issuing a replacement tag is a way to address the situation.
If there was a way to hasten the testing process maybe a replacement tag could be issued during the current season so you could have meat in the freezer your don't have to worry about.
Hunters are playing an important role in the CWD process. Issuing a replacement tag recognizes that there is a problem and the hunter shouldn't be the one that ultimately pays the price as the end user.
Yeah I don't disagree with you. I was just saying I understand why they aren't doing the replacement tag but I'm not saying I agree with it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited by tbrown; 11-22-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Did you submit your head with antlers attached to a fw freezer? Was it returned in good shape from the freezer? Or how did you work around that for your mount. I'm not well versed in taxidermy or the cwd submission. But if like to start hunting a property more frequently and was wondering how i best go about the skull. As I really like euro mounts.

Any advice from folks.

Thanks.
I knew I wanted a shoulder mount so I capped back to the 3/4 rib and left about 4-5 inches of neck meat. Taxidermist did the rest and submitted the sample for me.

I believe if you want to do a euro you can shin the head out and separate between the upper and lower jaw. Submit the lower portion for testing as that is where the glands are I believe. But I would double check on that.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Any advice from folks.

Thanks.
Nothing gets returned to the hunter, if you drop the whole head off...then that’s it, it’s gone.

LC
Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. That's what I thought I'll look into it further I'm sure others would wonder too.
Old 11-23-2018, 09:39 AM

One last comment.

The tag you get in the draw costs the same whether you harvest a deer that's safe to consume or a CWD animal. Think about it in these terms.

Lets say the butcher shop has steak on sale for $5.99/lb. The butcher tells you that 30% of the steaks have Listeria - he just doesn't know which ones... but they all cost the same price. Everyone knows what they'd do and so does the butcher.

The government needs to come up with a proper response to this. Issuing replacement tags isn't perfect but at least it's saying something. Not issuing a replacement tag probably takes a hunter out of the equation who might be targeting a doe. Maybe they should reward a hunter who has a positive with 2 tags?

Hunters are trying to help out here. We get it. This is a bad thing. CWD unabated will be devastating in the long run. Once CWD hits critical mass there will be mortality on a large scale especially in mature bucks.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapperdodge View Post
One last comment.

The tag you get in the draw costs the same whether you harvest a deer that's safe to consume or a CWD animal. Think about it in these terms.

Lets say the butcher shop has steak on sale for $5.99/lb. The butcher tells you that 30% of the steaks have Listeria - he just doesn't know which ones... but they all cost the same price. Everyone knows what they'd do and so does the butcher.

The government needs to come up with a proper response to this. Issuing replacement tags isn't perfect but at least it's saying something. Not issuing a replacement tag probably takes a hunter out of the equation who might be targeting a doe. Maybe they should reward a hunter who has a positive with 2 tags?

Hunters are trying to help out here. We get it. This is a bad thing. CWD unabated will be devastating in the long run. Once CWD hits critical mass there will be mortality on a large scale especially in mature bucks.

Bang on.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:37 AM

Default More Bad News

Well, we just had our first doe come back positive from the very same area. Until now we were only seeing it in mature bucks.
Old 11-27-2018, 06:42 PM

just out of curiosity any news if F&W is taking heads from all the road killed deer? seems like an easy way to get a large sample size

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 11-27-2018, 07:47 PM

I turned my samples in on the 11th and still waiting for results. Is this normal?
Old 12-02-2018, 04:27 PM

i submitted my head on Nov 15 but haven't received a call yet.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingershooter View Post
I turned my samples in on the 11th and still waiting for results. Is this normal?
Yes.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:54 AM

Expect lab turnaround to be quick in the high volume part of the season to be slower. Remember the delay that is built in as drop off location freezers are filled, before the heads are submitted.

I can only speak to the turnaround at the Cooperative Wildlife Diseases Centre in Saskatchewan - really fast turnaround in Bow hunting and Muzzle Loading season, slows right down when high numbers from rifle and draw season animals create a backlog in the lab.

My muzzle loading Whitetail came back negative this year, Yippee! Good venison.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:12 PM

The East Central WMUs are done as far as muley hunting.. I've heard some horror stories unfortunately. I won't be applying there again.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:21 PM

27 positive in 2017. 64 since 2007 in wmu 163.

and with approximate 500 antlered and antler less tags issued for 2018, i suspect that number to double for 2018.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy17 View Post
i submitted my head on Nov 15 but haven't received a call yet.
Submitted a head a few years back last week of Nov, got results in Mar the following year. Head I submitted last year mid Nov, got results first week of Dec same year. Uncertain if SRD is accounting for additional WMU's and volume of head's being submitted, hopefully they are.

They will only call you IF you have a positive test result. For negative test result, you will have to check your WIN account.
Old 12-03-2018, 06:35 PM

I believe you can check online for results instead of waiting for a phone call
Old 12-03-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Submitted a head a few years back last week of Nov, got results in Mar the following year. Head I submitted last year mid Nov, got results first week of Dec same year. Uncertain if SRD is accounting for additional WMU's and volume of head's being submitted, hopefully they are.

They will only call you IF you have a positive test result. For negative test result, you will have to check your WIN account.
I assume on Alberta Relm i could check? i haven't had to submit a head in a for years so I dont remember how i did it last time around ahha
Old 12-03-2018, 09:33 PM

Default Cwd

If your animal tests negative you will receive notification via email. If it is positive you will receive a phone call. Positives take longer for notification since they do the quick test and if it shows non negative the sample is then sent to the CFIA lab in Ottawa for verification it is positive before you are notified.

Just received notification today for a mule buck which tested negative. The head was dropped off in Killam on Nov 11th but the email notification shows the head was submitted on the 26th. I suspect the 26th is when they received the head in the lab.

Phil
Old 12-04-2018, 05:31 AM

A differing point of view -

The government did not sell you meat with CWD.

Tags are sold as "hunting opportunity", You knew there was CWD in that zone. You take your chances if you choose to hunt there.

CWD is a sad reality of our future. Administering replacement tags and the loss of revenue are a problem for Fish and Wildlife, which is already severely underfunded. The cost of testing for CWD has become a real burden and can only get worse.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskbooknut View Post
A differing point of view -

The government did not sell you meat with CWD.

Tags are sold as "hunting opportunity", You knew there was CWD in that zone. You take your chances if you choose to hunt there.

CWD is a sad reality of our future. Administering replacement tags and the loss of revenue are a problem for Fish and Wildlife, which is already severely underfunded. The cost of testing for CWD has become a real burden and can only get worse.
The voice of reasoning I have to agree take your chances when you're hunting it is what it is no way you should be rewarded with two tags the burden can and will get worse. We just have to deal with it as it grows year-to-year.