Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-08-2021, 12:12 PM

Default My First Ice Trip Slightly Risky but successful!

I went fishing just yesterday the ice was thinner then recommended standards but I did wear a PFD, brought my ice picks, extra change of clothes and thermal blanket in the car ect. Every time I caught a fishing I brought warm water up on the surface which would melt more. I was definitely prepared to fall in though. To be honest i'm surprised how strong 2.5 inches of ice is. When I arrived there was already a couple guys that were walking around fishing on the lake.

https://youtu.be/486pjEN2A2c

Plan was to not run on the ice but the excitement with a fish on just blows that rule out the window

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 11-08-2021, 12:23 PM

Now that's dedication to the sport of fishing! Good video and happy hardwater season!
Old 11-08-2021, 12:57 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Great video and thanks for those tips too!
Really cool to see the fish below the ice and those tigers are beauts!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-08-2021, 02:35 PM

Thanks! Early ice is definitely fun when you can see them through the ice. Not sure if I would do it again though.

Respect wildlife
Old 11-08-2021, 03:35 PM

Love that lake...cool vid and nice fish however I will need to lose a few lbs before I try that..I got jumpy just watching you walk on it....did I hear someone say in the background that the black spot disease may be in that lake? Saw it a few years ago on some brook trout in a central ab lake...
Old 11-08-2021, 04:04 PM

Great video
Old 11-08-2021, 04:08 PM

If chain is freezing up, that means the bigger lakes are short to follow!
Old 11-08-2021, 06:59 PM

Yeah, not for me for sure but at least you took at the precautions. Nice video and congrats on the catches.
Old 11-09-2021, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
I went fishing just yesterday the ice was thinner then recommended standards but I did wear a PFD, brought my ice picks, extra change of clothes and thermal blanket in the car ect. Every time I caught a fishing I brought warm water up on the surface which would melt more. I was definitely prepared to fall in though. To be honest i'm surprised how strong 2.5 inches of ice is. When I arrived there was already a couple guys that were walking around fishing on the lake.

https://youtu.be/486pjEN2A2c

Plan was to not run on the ice but the excitement with a fish on just blows that rule out the window
**I say this with caring and am being critically with the best intentions. Not trying to lecture.

It was obvious that all rules were out the window yesterday Huy. You need a hoodie that says "Foolhardy for Fish." Very fortunate you didn't get wet. Count your blessings. We probably would have never known if you would have gotten wet because you wouldn't have made the video.

Nice looking fish by the way. Was a couple little tugs worth the risk?

You might think you are prepared with a life jacket and ice picks. Go out again wearing the same gear over 3 or 4 feet of water. Run and jump up and down until you break through. Bet it won't take much of a jump. You could run to a tip up and slip and fall breaking through from the fall. Video that and then post it. Sort of a 'test your gear' scenario. You could make a video of 'how to take apart your power auger to dry it out after if goes in the lake' too. I say this with sarcasm. I don't want you or your gear getting wet.

I say this because I do care about you HuyFishin. I'm not being an ice policeman. I say this from personal experience of breaking through thin ice myself and me being totally submerged. I never touched the bottom either. Luckily I managed to get out. Let's say it was very memorable to say the least. I didn't learn enough about the ice so it decided to teach me the hard way.

It won't take long to build ice. Wait a couple weeks for your own sake. I don't want to read that "HuyFishin foolishly died doing what he loved". I'd sooner see the fishing videos you will post in the future. Keep enjoying and sharing but safely. Consider you most likely are a role model for young anglers on the AO forums. Impressionable minds and the monkey see, monkey do theory does apply. You mention two other guys walking around fishing too... did they give you a sense of false confidence seeing them or was it just a monkey see monkey do moment?

I know we all love adventure. Just remember every year they talk about and even publish safe ice guidelines for a reason.

Hope I wasn't to harsh in saying this. They were nice fish. Carry on, pip pip and all the jazz.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 11-09-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 07:08 AM

Huy, you’d a sick man. LOL

Don’t try that on the North Saskatchewan!
Old 11-09-2021, 07:10 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks! Early ice is definitely fun when you can see them through the ice. Not sure if I would do it again though.
Got a question where do you hook the minnow? Is the bait laying off the bottom or suspended?
Will try it for trout here on a stocked lake just would like to know the presentation that worked.
Thx

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-09-2021, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post

Hope I wasn't to harsh in saying this. They were nice fish. Carry on, pip pip and all the jazz.

Noooo I don't think you're being too harsh. I'm sincerely grateful.

Respect wildlife
Old 11-09-2021, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Got a question where do you hook the minnow? Is the bait laying off the bottom or suspended?
Will try it for trout here on a stocked lake just would like to know the presentation that worked.
Thx
I would use a small small jighead hook through the opening of the mouth through the upper dorsal OR I would hook it through the mouth and out the side next through the dorsal.

it would just look like the minnow is eating the jig head LOL

Respect wildlife
Old 11-09-2021, 10:56 AM

Beautiful video to start my day, but please don't go out on ice that thin again, I want to see more of your content not your coffin.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:34 AM

That is pure crazy! Lol, I really enjoyed the video but don’t think I will be doing that any time soon! I am way too scared about falling thru the ice….
By the way, what lake was it? You mentioned it was not Dolberg but it is north of Edmonton… I have never caught tiger trout before!
Old 11-09-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGB View Post
That is pure crazy! Lol, I really enjoyed the video but don’t think I will be doing that any time soon! I am way too scared about falling thru the ice….
By the way, what lake was it? You mentioned it was not Dolberg but it is north of Edmonton… I have never caught tiger trout before!
The public Trout stocking reports are your friend... not many lakes stocked with tigers, should be any easy find.

Old 11-09-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
The public Trout stocking reports are your friend... not many lakes stocked with tigers, should be any easy find.

I thought it would be easy as well, but there are many more watersheds being stocked with Tigers than just a couple years ago. Hint is in the video comments..LOL.

Has gone from just 3 lakes in 2015 to 29 in 2020...

Last edited by kevinhits; 11-09-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
You are crazier than me when it comes to thin ice.

One thing I learned last time I fell in is when the ice is this thin... you need to break ice all the way back to shore to get out as that ice is not thick enough for you to pull yourself out on. That unfortunately is usually what kills.

Just putting it out there. You were smart and said in your video that you don't recommend others do it.

Let's all be safe out there. We all have lots of fishing left to do in life.

looking forward to more vids!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-09-2021, 02:35 PM

Only an Albertan would risk his life to catch and release a put and take stocked trout...
Old 11-09-2021, 07:15 PM

Seriously, this guy has proven to be a smart fisherman and we have members trying to tell him he is wrong? Maybe...but he has taken all the precautions and has other friends around him. I would not go on that ice but, I am also 50 years of age. 20 years ago, I did the same and weighed 150lbs less.

Kudos to the sweet tigers you managed to catch...

I would probably do 2.5" of clear ice. He was in only 3 feet of water so clearly he probably was fine.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:23 PM

My fat ass would have gone through for sure. lol. But this just got me very excited for hardwater!! Can't wait!!
Old 11-10-2021, 09:30 PM

Always going to be someone who has to be first on and last off a lake. Wont feel sorry when you go for a swim.
Old 11-11-2021, 10:03 AM

I feel so cheated. I went out to check the ice at Swan Lake last night in preparation to fish this morning. It was only 1/2". Looks like we are about on schedule from last year after all.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:07 PM

Nice fish, and great vid. I always enjoy your youtube vid, keep them coming.

Tommy