Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-21-2013, 06:17 AM

Exclamation baffin Island and Winter Gear

Okay guys, I know some of you will have the experience to help me gear up a tech.
I need to send a man up to Baffin Island on a outdoor work site.

HELP!!! I need to know what is best to dress him in to keep him warm.
The client has told me Artic winter gear with no further guidance so I figured I would turn to the winter experts you guys!

He is already geared up for Fort Mac cold weather work...... but I have a feeling that isn't good enough.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:33 AM
Gone Fishing

I would recommend checking out Helly Hanson. I worked at a ski resort as a millwright and we used the insulated coveralls from HH and they were awesome. We worked out side in all weather conditions and these worked very well.

http://www.helly.ca/EN/products/cat1...currPg1/numR52
Old 11-21-2013, 06:58 AM

Expensive as all hell, but...http://www.canada-goose.com/
Old 11-21-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingMOM View Post
Okay guys, I know some of you will have the experience to help me gear up a tech.
I need to send a man up to Baffin Island on a outdoor work site.

HELP!!! I need to know what is best to dress him in to keep him warm.
The client has told me Artic winter gear with no further guidance so I figured I would turn to the winter experts you guys!

He is already geared up for Fort Mac cold weather work...... but I have a feeling that isn't good enough.
Baffinland Mine? Brrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 AM

Canada Goose Resolute series, best cold weather gear I have. The costs is a non issue when you are outdoors on Baffin Island in winter
Old 11-21-2013, 07:27 AM
Banned

Ravenwear. Susan Hindbo has outfitted many hunters for polar bear hunts etc. but not sure if this would fit for a working environment....depends what he's doing.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:02 AM

-40 in Ft Mac is the same -40 on Baffin Island. That Canada Goose stuff is real good. So it gets a little colder on Baffin Island........but not much colder. It stays colder longer though. My experience comes from working outside in Alert, Eureka, Resolute Bay, Iqaluit, ... and Winnipeg lol.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:06 AM

What kind of work will he be doing??

x2 on ehntr's comments

Wind can be a pain up there.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
-40 in Ft Mac is the same -40 on Baffin Island. That Canada Goose stuff is real good. So it gets a little colder on Baffin Island........but not much colder. It stays colder longer though. My experience comes from working outside in Alert, Eureka, Resolute Bay, Iqaluit, ... and Winnipeg lol.
When I talked to the folks up there yesterday they said it was Minus 35 with winds pushing it over Minus 50.

We have to go up and service equipment.
Old 11-21-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
When I talked to the folks up there yesterday they said it was Minus 35 with winds pushing it over Minus 50.

We have to go up and service equipment.
It was that in swan hills yesterday lol
Old 11-21-2013, 11:24 AM

Hey FM....sounds like he's got some gross work to do.

A couple sets of the HH longjohns and tops.

Also a set of HH bibs and parka. One pieces are OK but I prefer the two piece.

If there is a bunch of welding going on he may want to change out the HH for Carhardts but it won't be quite as warm and bulk him up a bit more.

If money is no object and he needs to stay out for long periods without moving around too much.....ya can't beat a snow goose "Snow Mantra" parka. Rough to trash a $1000 coat but it's a necessary evil at times.

Sux if he has to wear steel toes but the Baffins with the composite toe will get him by.

Good base layers/socks etc.

A fur hat if he can wear it. If he's in hard hat country I like the Egli's liner. Pull a hoodie up over the top to pin it against your head and you're good to go.

Mitts/gloves and a bunch of those little white cotton gloves.

Tell him to have fun
Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=FishingMOM;2205412] Minus 35 with winds pushing it over Minus 50.[/QUOTE]

We don't count that up here
Old 11-21-2013, 12:36 PM

[QUOTE=Tundra Monkey;2205531]
Quote:
Minus 35 with winds pushing it over Minus 50.[/QUOTE]

We don't count that up here
It sounds foolish but true. I never knew the temperature when I was in the arctic or the wind chill. But it is a lot colder than Fort Mac.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I worked a winter on Baffin Island and as Matt stated, that's the best bet. you really can't combat -60c other than layers and lots of them
Old 11-21-2013, 12:45 PM

ohhhh...he'll thank you if you send him a "no-fog" snowmobile mask and a set of tinted ski goggles.
Old 11-21-2013, 12:47 PM

I just got a pair of terra crossbow boots. The tag says they are good to -60, hope I never find out though. They feel good on the feet and are not to bulky.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:03 PM

My main concern Riden (and everyone who is giving advise) is keeping my man safe, warm and dry while he is working up there.

Safety is a priority for me with all my men when I send them to job sites.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:51 PM

I think you should talk to your client more about this. He will probably know best.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:11 PM

Maybe have to be F/R rated too. Something to check into. All my summer stuff and winter stuff is F/R rated or they won't let ya on site.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-21-2013, 08:38 PM

Quote:
My main concern Riden (and everyone who is giving advise) is keeping my man safe, warm and dry while he is working up there.

Safety is a priority for me with all my men when I send them to job sites.
Discusss this with the people he will be working for up there. These things should be part of the bid package.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:00 PM

a good parka is hard to work in but if you have to travel or you may have waiting time you need one. its a whole different story there if its minus 35 and the wind is blowing 35 mph youll know your not in fort mac. the wind changes everything you need a good set of warm gear to work in and a parka to replace your work coat when you need it i use helly hanson bib overalls they are tiresome to walk in but warm. i bought expensive dunlop linerless boots last year because of the convenience but they harden like skates and wreck my feet the double layer with foam or whatever is in between gets too stiff. some days our weather station would read in the minus 70s wind chill but i always want to know the temp and wind speed instead

Last edited by marxman; 11-21-2013 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:27 PM

I have a jacket and pants from these guys, the -60 stuff,

http://www.northernoutfitters.com
Old 11-21-2013, 09:48 PM

Well, I was in iqaluit for a layover on my way to six weeks worth of work up in resolute bay, in February. Baffin Island is more urbanized compared to resolute. The average temp was -55, with one day hitting -67 with wind chill.

I sported mec wool base layers, very thin wool long johns with matching shirt. This was the single most important part of my clothing, it would wick all moisture away. Next was my cotton tshirt, carhart overalls and a windbreak pant. Boots were -100C rated Baffin boots, never had cold feet. For a jacket I had a north face summit series jacket. This thing is and was beyond warm! It is the same suit they use to climb Everest minus the pants. Balaclava, ski goggles and a good toque. Plus a pair of light base layer gloves with big mittens and I was plenty warm. Despite the fact it was -67F. And for reference, there was 9 of us that needed to travel to work each day in a five seater truck, so most times I did the ride in the bed. Quite often I just chose to walk the km or two across the tundra for the sole purpose of telling my kids one day, "you think you have it bad! When I was..."

Helly Hanson on piece was popular up there, but when you started to sweat, you got cold. And riding in the plane for 19 hours gets uncomfortable. Canada goose is the standard, but is not cheap.

Depending on time of year, Baffin island can be quite mild, but with no trees, the slightest breeze will give you a chill.

If you have any other questions please feel free to pm me. I went up there blind, wish I had some pointers before I went. Can't wait for the opportunity to visit again, but at $7000 round trip, plus $300/night hotel, it won't be unless someone else is forking the bill lol!

Big safety tip, depending on location, if a plane can't take off, you don't work, no hospitals or 911 in these parts.

Arctic bay NU

Noon in February looking out over the ocean

The worst job possible

The amazing sun dawgs, ice crystal rings
Old 11-21-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
A truck breaking down in Ft. Mac is not the same as your vehicle breaking down on Baffin Island.

Dressing for conditions also includes dressing for proximity to hospital, shelter & rescue!

Great post wanderingwest.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Discusss this with the people he will be working for up there. These things should be part of the bid package.
trust me I have tried asking even in writing and they haven't given me any additional guidance on it, just artic winter wear and that they charter the plane bringing us in and out and it only flies 1 day a week

Which is why I turned to the AO experts as I know there are guys here who have experience in working in that particular climate.

AO is a great wealth of information when you ask the right questions.
Old 11-22-2013, 06:24 AM

Quote:
trust me I have tried asking even in writing and they haven't given me any additional guidance on it, just artic winter wear and that they charter the plane bringing us in and out and it only flies 1 day a week

Which is why I turned to the AO experts as I know there are guys here who have experience in working in that particular climate.

AO is a great wealth of information when you ask the right questions.

Mom,
This might be a long shot but here goes....Pop out to Kenn Borek Air at Cal airport. Ask to speak to any AMEs(engineers) with Arctic/Antarctic experience and see what they recommend.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
And Baffin gear... And 1/2 ton of hot shots!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:50 AM

I had to send some folks up to the McKenzie Delta a couple years ago and they said the same thing, "Make sure everyone has arctic gear that is FR." We had a contact with a FR company down in the industrial park that knew what they normally used and they set our guys up for around $500 each. Insulated Bibs and Parka. They mentioned that with some extra layering, as wandering west mentioned, it worked great. One thing they usually say too is that you have to be able to get to that gear at anytime while on the plane as well in case of an emergency landing or such so it can't be in the checked luggage.

Hope it helps. I can try to find the company that supplied the gear if you like.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM

Default FR Arctic Gear

I am going through the same thing right now. With the company I work for we are going to be headed to the arctic in a couple months and I have been looking around for FR arctic gear and so far haven't found much other than
www.actionwear.ca
They seem to have arctic specific parkas and bibs.

Any other suppliers of good FR arctic gear?????
Old 11-23-2013, 10:23 AM

This is exactly what I wear when working at -30 and colder. Unfortunatley usually moving water around so it's gross work. Monkey tested to ambients of -50 and chittier

Smart wool socks;
Thin wicking layer (usually the cheap Cabelas one);
Thin long underwear top and bottom;
Thick Helly Hansen underwear (no hood);
Arcteryx jacket (theta AR I think);
Arteryx bibs;
Wiggy's pack boots;
Neck warmer/open faced balaclava;
Those cheap white stringy gloves;
Canada Goose mitts;
Rat hat.

When activity slows down I throw an oversized Snow Mantra on over top.

If it's really lousy out I'll wear a no fog and goggles as well.

Pending the site I'll swap the boots out for CSA approved ones and add an Egli's hardhat liner.

I'm the most comfortable guy on our sites. Only drawbacks is what it costs and the fact that while everyone else is warming up you are working. I hate going in from the cold to heat unless I'm staying there. In and out makes for a miserable day imo.

edit> I got no clue on the fire rated stuff.