Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistagin View Post
Go for it!

I owned my own business (in home renovations, custom cabinetry, custom flooring and tile work) for several years before responding to 'the call' (into Christian ministry) and I loved every minute of it.
Some great advice here.
1. as some have already said get a good accountant, such a person is invaluable
2. customer service (always with a smile) - goes a long, long way, especially in 'word-of-mouth' advertising! (Never talk 'bad' publicly about a customer, supplier, competitor, etc.)
3. years ago my accountant advised me to have a dedicated business credit card used for company business only, keep all receipts in a file and reconcile with the monthly statement - lots of 'free' book-keeping done that way!
4. related to # 3 above - keep accurate books
5. keep up-to-date on all government 'stuff' (GST remission and claims) - and be glad we don't have PST in Alberta!!!
6. INSURANCE!
7. limited company
8. make sure, especially if you have family, to book yourself time off and vacations, block such time out on your planner schedule!!! Running your own business like a plumbing business can have a lot of 'extra' time that isn't on the 'timesheet' .

I will very likely go into business for myself again when I retire from my current 'job'.
When your "BOSS" retires you from your current job, I'm not sure if you have that option??