Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-22-2013, 03:52 AM
Banned

Default RCMP seize large gun cache in Prince George

http://princegeorge.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/V...ontentId=32376

"The sheer volume of the weaponry, and the potential damage that could have been inflicted is incredibly disturbing," says Superintendent Derek Simmonds, RCMP Federal Serious and Organized in BC. "Thankfully, with the help of our law enforcement partners we were able to remove these weapons and prevent any harm that they may have caused."

http://www.cbc.ca/daybreaknorth/inte...plary-citizen/

A local gun advocate says a Prince George man being charged with importing and owning illegal weapons in the city is being unfairly targeted.On November 13, Prince George RCMP held a press conference displaying a number of weapons they say were illegally imported into Canada.

On November 13, Prince George RCMP held a press conference displaying a number of weapons they say were illegally imported into Canada.

Karl Haus, who owns the Pastry Chef Bakery in Prince George, faces seventeen charges including two counts of importing a prohibited firearm, four counts of possession of a prohibited firearm, ammunition, or device and five counts of careless use of a firearm.

RCMP superintendent Derek Simmonds called the number of weapons possessed by Haus "disturbing" and Rod Booth of the North District RCMP said there was fear that the weapons could be used to commit criminal acts.

Sheldon Clare feels differently. As president of the National Firearms Association of Canada, the College of New Caledonia Instructor believes Haus is victim of gun laws that should not exist in this country.

"This is a typical example of a person who is not in any way, shape, or form a threat to any form of public safety, who is a good citizen of the community, his family and him have been excellent providers to charity, they make excellent bread, and they've been good citizens," Clare told CBC's Daybreak North. "What we have is a person who is part of Canada's gun culture unfairly disadvantaged by regime of firearms control that targets a Canadian culture."

Clare also says the prohibited weapons class shouldn't exist because he believes it's an "artificial construct based on political ideologies and emotion."

The items seized from Haus's property include:

over 31,000 rounds of ammunition
two loaded and one unloaded hand gun
seven rifles
a fully automatic M16
a fully automatic AK 47
two morning stars
two shot guns
five 100 round capacity drum magazines
50 assault rifle magazines
four bullet proof vests.

RCMP say this incident does not appear to be linked to any other crimes and that Haus does not have a "significant" history with police. His first court appearance is in January.

Not sure I agree with the RCMP that the guns seized from Karl Haus pose a risk to the public, but they are prohibited in Canada, and I don't have much sympathy for him.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:57 AM

I don't know if I agree with a lot being said in this bust as I know Karl personally, and he kept this pretty discrete as I new he had firearms but not to this extent.
That being said I do understand the actions of the law.
Old 11-22-2013, 05:30 AM

The Fully autos and loaded handguns deserve a good look into, the novelty of having something no one else does is not worth the headache he is in for, even if he was not doing criminal activities..
Old 11-22-2013, 06:51 AM

Yeah, it's definitely hard to justify that much illegal firearms stuff. That being said, that superintendent's comments are frighteningly retarded.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
Yeah, it's definitely hard to justify that much illegal firearms stuff. That being said, that superintendent's comments are frighteningly retarded.
X2

I'll bet no more free doughnuts for them from Karls bakery!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinnordegg View Post
X2

I'll bet no more free doughnuts for them from Karls bakery!
lol

Lock your wife and your dog in the trunk of your car.
After one hour, open the trunk and see who is happiest to see you!!!

If you won't stand behind our Troops,
Feel free to stand in front of them!!!!!
Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Harm would mean that Haus had intent to use the firearms with criminal intent. The comments on the CBC article were pretty interesting. Most made it clear that gun owners do not use guns with criminal intent.

It would be nice to have the prohibited rating removed, and just make it another license category where we legal and responsible gun owners can just have some fun, and waste some money.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:36 AM

While I'll agree that the prohibited category shouldn't exist, he also should have known better. Each act of acquiring an unlawful piece for his collection was a conscious act, and something that I'd imagine isn't particularly easy to compile. A lot is at risk when a family man and entrepreneur chooses such a path.

X 2000 on the RCMP officers statement to the press as being prejudicial and idiotic. Now that he's accomplished that he can go out and impound every car in Canada as the nations leading instrument of death!
Old 11-22-2013, 08:23 AM

The important thing to remember here is that when bill C-68 was enacted it made law abiding citizens into criminals simply for owning property. Making the ownership of an item illegal simply because it could be used in a criminal manner is more ridiculous than B.C. making round door knobs illegal. The RCMP are not concerned with otherwise law abiding citizens having a little fun with a fully auto rifle, the heart of this situation is that a citizenry well armed is (if need be) not easily controlled.

If your going to say that the law was created by Government not by RCMP you would be wrong. Please remember that the RCMP (or members of) in Canada advised, interpret and enforce bill C-68.

A vague and poorly written law which best serves a policing entity instead of the people they serve is not just.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Guns

What would people be saying if someone came and stole those weapons, which then could be used against banks or by some goof against school children.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Charges laid lets all see how they pan out!
Old 11-22-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
What would people be saying if someone came and stole those weapons, which then could be used against banks or by some goof against school children.
Fully automatic weapons offer no real advantage when used against unarmed civilians. Spray and pray wastes more ammunition than anything else.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Come on....Lots of so called legal guns could do the same thing.
Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Banned

PM Harper to the RCMP: "We have to do something about these biker gangs!! Let's get out there and arrest them."

Constable Johnson: "Why are we arresting this guy again?"
Constable Miller: "I dunno, something about the PM wanting to go after baker gangs."
Old 11-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bukwild View Post
The important thing to remember here is that when bill C-68 was enacted it made law abiding citizens into criminals simply for owning property. Making the ownership of an item illegal simply because it could be used in a criminal manner is more ridiculous than B.C. making round door knobs illegal. The RCMP are not concerned with otherwise law abiding citizens having a little fun with a fully auto rifle, the heart of this situation is that a citizenry well armed is (if need be) not easily controlled.

If your going to say that the law was created by Government not by RCMP you would be wrong. Please remember that the RCMP (or members of) in Canada advised, interpret and enforce bill C-68.

A vague and poorly written law which best serves a policing entity instead of the people they serve is not just.

An excellent post, Excellent.
Old 11-22-2013, 10:39 AM
Banned

Quote:
That being said, that superintendent's comments are frighteningly retarded.
Agreed, But it's what the RCMP want for the public perception of guns... Sad.

It's been nearly 3 months since the Tatla lake incident - I can't find anything on it whatsoever? Anyone else have any updates?
Old 11-22-2013, 10:59 AM

The response from Clare (NFA president) makes me question the organization I recently joined. The NFA HAS TO (IMHO) stand for obeying the current laws, no matter how much it might like to see them changed. It cannot defend and cry foul about someone who has imported and possesses prohibited weapons and has them loaded in his home.

It's exactly the same as if the fellow had a pound of crack cocaine in his house. You and Rob Ford might say there is no harm and that cocaine should be legal, but it isn't.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:04 AM
Banned

Why did they sieze the vests?
Did he not hold a license under the FA Act?

Otherswise...agree or disagree... the law is the law and if you disobey they will nab ya if they can.

Sometimes good people make poor choices and then suffer for it.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
The response from Clare (NFA president) makes me question the organization I recently joined. The NFA HAS TO (IMHO) stand for obeying the current laws, no matter how much it might like to see them changed. It cannot defend and cry foul about someone who has imported and possesses prohibited weapons and has them loaded in his home.

It's exactly the same as if the fellow had a pound of crack cocaine in his house. You and Rob Ford might say there is no harm and that cocaine should be legal, but it isn't.
this just made me smile at the computer
Old 11-22-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Constable Miller: "I dunno, something about the PM wanting to go after baker gangs."
I hope they turned the place upside down to ensure he didn't have any prohibited length rolling pins or fully automatic cinnamon dispensers
Old 11-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

X100!
Nobody NEEDS fully auto rifles.We`d all like to have one but they are illegal.I want a rocket launcher and an RPG but that ain`t gonna happen(a tank would be fun though)
The law is the law,break it at your own risk.
Besides,why does a Baker need an Ak 47 and a bullet proof vest?He`s either a damn poor cook or that ain`t powdered sugar he`s putting on those jelly donuts.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Agreed, But it's what the RCMP want for the public perception of guns... Sad.

It's been nearly 3 months since the Tatla lake incident - I can't find anything on it whatsoever? Anyone else have any updates?
They don't want to alarm the people working for Enbridge or any of the other pipelines. Most people never even heard about it.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherpeak View Post
X100!
Nobody NEEDS fully auto rifles.We`d all like to have one but they are illegal.I want a rocket launcher and an RPG but that ain`t gonna happen(a tank would be fun though)
The law is the law,break it at your own risk.
Besides,why does a Baker need an Ak 47 and a bullet proof vest?He`s either a damn poor cook or that ain`t powdered sugar he`s putting on those jelly donuts.
Why do you need a fishing rod to go fishing when you can buy fish at the store?

Why do my kids need 100 pokemon trading cards not just 5?

Don't judge another's hobbies unless your willing to have your own judged.
The guy likes auto's and body armour. I think they are pretty cool too actually. In my opinion that doesn't make him a criminal. Using them for the wrong purpose would.
Old 11-22-2013, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
They don't want to alarm the people working for Enbridge or any of the other pipelines. Most people never even heard about it.
Are you talking Tatla lake? They don't want to scare anyone?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneeze View Post
Why do you need a fishing rod to go fishing when you can buy fish at the store?

Why do my kids need 100 pokemon trading cards not just 5?

Don't judge another's hobbies unless your willing to have your own judged.
The guy likes auto's and body armour. I think they are pretty cool too actually. In my opinion that doesn't make him a criminal. Using them for the wrong purpose would.
Read my post again.I think they are cool too but they are illegal.And your fishing rod thing is stupid.Why do you need a hunting rifle(which IS legal) when you can go to the store where meat is made and no animals were hurt?( see the smiley?)
Old 11-22-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Read my post again.I think they are cool too but they are illegal.And your fishing rod thing is stupid.Why do you need a hunting rifle(which IS legal) when you can go to the store where meat is made and no animals were hurt?( see the smiley?)
No, his point wrt the fishing rod still stands. You should not have to have a direct need for something in order to obtain it. If that were the case 3/4 of all vehicles and the vast majority of ohv's would be deemed unnecessary and illegal.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
No, his point wrt the fishing rod still stands. You should not have to have a direct need for something in order to obtain it. If that were the case 3/4 of all vehicles and the vast majority of ohv's would be deemed unnecessary and illegal.
You do when its cyclic rate is 500 rpm ?? How many laws does a gut need to break ? legal law abiding firearms owners are made to appear on side with this guy?? Face palm
Old 11-22-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post

Clare just stands for the NFA gunowners who own prohibited irearms....legally.
And apparently those who own them illegally.This is like the Alberta Motor Association defending street racers.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
X100!
Nobody NEEDS fully auto rifles..
Hey, I'm certainly not making that point. That's what anti's say about firearms in general. I'm not judging what someone should or should not want or "need". I'm just saying that we have laws, and if , as firearms owners, we support the flaunting of such laws, then we shouldn't be surprised if the general public supports more and more draconian measures to "rein us in". Responsible owners and organizations should push for whatever changes in the law they want, but they should condemn those who decide to ignore the law.

I might like it if the law was changed so we could hunt at night, but a guy who does it now is just a poacher, not someone to be defended, right?
Old 11-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Banned

Ya know,, quite recently, there were some threads condoning illegal activities so as long as the first job at hand was getting done effectively.

"This is a typical example of a person who is not in any way, shape, or form a threat to any form of public safety, who is a good citizen of the community, his family and him have been excellent providers to charity, they make excellent bread, and they've been good citizens," Clare told CBC's Daybreak North. "What we have is a person who is part of Canada's gun culture unfairly disadvantaged by regime of firearms control that targets a Canadian culture."

Herr Haus is a great baker - apparently -, so what's the big deal with the guns?