Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutline homestead View Post
Really.IT`s ILLEGAL,your headspace here is way off, auto`s as trophy`s, comme on you want one, WOW.If this is not just something to stir up stuff, PLEASE DO nOT COME NEAR MY HOME.Reread your post and look at it from a strangers eye`s and the read is weird.Is it O.K. to throw your beercan out your window ,because the bottle pickers will will get it in the spring when they go ditch picking,..
Yes the guy broke the law, but he is not a danger to the public. Your position paints the guy in the same light as a gang-banger, which is not the case. Should this guy be charged and convicted for breaking the law and serve the same punishment as a gang-banger who buys a full auto with intent to kill others? I don't think so, and this is the same reason that Justin Trudeau is against mandatory minimums, but the difference is Justin Trudeau would rather a pedophile walk the streets than a guy who has full auto rifles, but no intent to shoot up the neighborhood, since Justin Trudeau is all for reinstating the gun registry, and banning legal ownership of firearms, regardless of the type of firearm.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
What you said, was basically an emotion based rant. From what I can gather, you don't have any serious knowledge of the subject matter. I don't advocate ownership of fully automatic firearms, but I know, that semi-auto well aimed fire is far more lethal than spray and pray. The only time they have much use is in a fire fight with well armed opposition.

The fact is, that unbalanced people shouldn't have any sort of weapon, but no amount of legislation will ever fully prevent them from acquiring them.
I agree. I have shot full auto, and I can assure you that I would have a higher hit probability with a semi auto. Full auto is useful for suppressing return fire or counter attacks in a war zone, but single shot directed fire is far more lethal.

The guy charged is not a regular criminal. He appears to just be interested in guns. There is a difference with intent. His intent does not appear to be to cause havoc or carnage. However he did break the law, and he will be punished. Unfortunately other law abiding gun owners will also suffer for his crime.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutline homestead View Post
Really.IT`s ILLEGAL,your headspace here is way off, auto`s as trophy`s, comme on you want one, WOW.If this is not just something to stir up stuff, PLEASE DO nOT COME NEAR MY HOME.Reread your post and look at it from a strangers eye`s and the read is weird.Is it O.K. to throw your beercan out your window ,because the bottle pickers will will get it in the spring when they go ditch picking,..
Gutline, you're speaking of a full auto as a scary object - it's a firearm.

In my late teens I joined the militia, had alot of fun - in retrospect I should have joined the military. Long story short, we were trained to use and respect the C7 and C1 (C1 IIRC), that doesn't make me any kind of an expert by any means. RMW is correct on the spray and pray. The C7 is different in the select fire, semi auto is far more accurate.

Why are full auto capable - like the C7 - so scary to today's population? I'm not advocating the idea of civilians being able to buy submachine guns off the shelf.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Banned

Cool

Full auto is correctly named sustained suppresive fire , to win a fire fight. Its intent is to keep heads down for the most part . Squad type sustained fire weapons are desined for suppresive fire in aiming bursts 3-5 till target has been attained then killing bursts of 6-8 rounds. Used correctly it is every bit as accurate as any other rifle just with mire rounds down range.
Old 11-23-2013, 08:21 PM

With all they got, he was still unprepared for the zombie apocalypse.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 PM

The law is the law whether you like it or not. He acquired these guns for his collection knowing that they were prohibited and still went ahead with his acquisition of them. I have no sympathy for people who break the law knowingly. It's the law sometimes its stupid and arbitrary but its still the law and it really is as simple as that.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:58 PM

Hello everyone, this is my first post so I hope I get it right. Anyway, maybe this gentleman was preparing for a doomsday scenario, as many other people were doing for that 2012 end of the world thing that luckily never happened. I don't know the fellow but I know a few people that are "Preppers", stocking up on food and firearms and such. They are not criminals in the sense of the word, only folks that want to be ready if something really bad should happen. I guess he should have had everything hidden a lot better. Anyways, that my 2 cents , if it's worth that. Thanks.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris762 View Post
Hello everyone, this is my first post so I hope I get it right. Anyway, maybe this gentleman was preparing for a doomsday scenario, as many other people were doing for that 2012 end of the world thing that luckily never happened. I don't know the fellow but I know a few people that are "Preppers", stocking up on food and firearms and such. They are not criminals in the sense of the word, only folks that want to be ready if something really bad should happen. I guess he should have had everything hidden a lot better. Anyways, that my 2 cents , if it's worth that. Thanks.
Not to Hijack this thread but I've always found the idea behind being a prepper to be quite flawed. Say if something did happen that wiped out most of the people in the world and we were left with a post apocalyptic scenario like the one seen in the movie " The Road" staring viggo mortensen. Would you really want to be alive in that world? Prepping solves alot of your immediate problems; but eventually your food will run out, firearms protect you from scavengers for the most part but give i t say 5 years, your supplies run down you've likely lost a few people along the way due to gunfights with scavengers and then what? Are you going to recreate society? And what society do you recreate, chances are you've only protected your close family so are you and your wife gonna Noah it up and repopulate the world all by yourselves? That then brings us to your kids, what future are they going to have? Hunt down supplies and scavenge hopefully they come back from supply runs.

All in all it seems like a slow drawn out death as opposed to a quick one. Once society breaks down I don't believe it ever really re-establishes itself not because people aren't capable of being civilized but because unlike our caveman ancestors, we are very well armed and it is so much easier to shoot your problems away in that scenario then reason and find common ground.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_Type13X2 View Post
Not to Hijack this thread but I've always found the idea behind being a prepper to be quite flawed....
Maybe they're prepping for a middle ground scenario, with limited resources, production, and law & order? More responsibility on the individual to ensure their own welfare? I dunno, I bought a case of soup during Y2K, guess I'd get eaten. That Road movie was scary tho.

As far as the article, the RCMP portrayal of this situation seems manipulative. Still, in my mind there is a difference between a law abiding citizen who suddenly becomes a criminal due to the enactment of restrictive legislation (the so called “paper law”) and someone who is aware of current legislation, and (for non life & death reasons) partakes in deception and illegal activities in order to circumvent that law. The scenario of full autos, loaded handguns, altered serial numbers and bullet proof vests doesn't paint a “paper” criminal picture to me, no matter how good his baking is.

Perhaps he justified this in his own mind as others here have, thinking that if the laws were “just”, none of his activities would be considered illegal. I don’t know, but I do know that kind of thinking leads to a very slippery slope, and almost anything can be justified this way.
Old 11-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Banned

Cool

Why go to all the trouble and risk of obtaining a sustained fire rifle before the apocalypse. After there will be guns aplenty what with the collapse of law and order.

Last edited by fish gunner; 11-23-2013 at 11:09 PM.