Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2024, 04:40 PM

Default Boat Repair

This has been my project over the last week or so. Lots of work to do before ice out and fishing charter season begins up in the Yukon. I have a deadline of 3 weeks to get her sorted : )

I am rebuilding my boat - a 1982 C-Dory 22 Angler. She is a pilothouse with a forward berth, a stowable kitchen table, a stove and a propane marine heater. Somewhat uniquely, she is also a true displacement hull - meaning that there is no 'vee' shape to the bottom of her hull.

From the factory she had 5 teak keel strips fastened onto her bottom on top of the gel coat. The strips had some sort of 1980s goop and stainless screws holding the on and going directly into her wood core. Last year some of the strips began to come off, leaving holes going into her insides. Not ideal.

So far I have gotten her off of the trailer and flipped onto her side. I removed the old strips and then spent days sanding down the old gelcoat until I hit bare glass. The sanding was horrible.

The new keel strips are now on - made out of red oak. I radiused the edges with a router, drilled, countersunk and finally sanded. The new strips are bedded in thickened epoxy and clamped to the hull with stainless fasteners. The fastener heads have been covered with epoxy and the edges have fillets.

Next is to sand everything down again, degrease, cut cloth and begin covering the entire bottom hull with the cloth and graphite-impregnated epoxy.

Once the bottom is done she will get spot gelcoat repairs to her topside and a full cut, polish and wax. She also getting new fenders, all new lines, a new bow swim ladder, new fuel gauges, a new transducer mount, new rub rails and a new prop for the main (90 Evinrude).

Old 05-15-2024, 06:08 PM

Nice work!
Old 05-15-2024, 06:43 PM

Wow, and I thought I had a project boat, yours is a whole 'nother level compared to what I have done! Excellent work, don't forget some pictures of when its finished!!
Old 05-15-2024, 08:51 PM

Will be years of enjoyment when you get that old girl in the water. Enjoy!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 05-15-2024, 09:08 PM

Wow, what a great restoration project. I can’t believe someone would have just screwed the keel strips through the bottom of the boat in the first place. Did you cut a piece out to see if the wood under the glass is still good? I can’t wait to see the finished product. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2024, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
Wow, what a great restoration project. I can’t believe someone would have just screwed the keel strips through the bottom of the boat in the first place. Did you cut a piece out to see if the wood under the glass is still good? I can’t wait to see the finished product. Good luck.
Yeah, I'm not a fan with how the factory did this. It seems like an afterthought. Still, 40+ years was a pretty good run.

My water intrusion was in the bow, underneath the berth and forward of the pilothouse bulkhead. I plan to cut access hatches into the 'hollow' area underneath the berth (underneath the sleeping cushions) for some exploratory surgery. I anticipate finding some damp floatation foam in there which I will hog out. A week or two with fans and a dehumidifier should dry things.

I drilled some holes into the core - through the fiberglass - from the bottom of the hull adjacent to where the screws failed. The plywood shavings which came out off my drill bit were dry so I am cautiously optimistic.

Worst case scenario is that the wooden core is saturated. Should that be the case then it will function for this upcoming season - the floor isn't rotten at this point and everything feels solid. I would end up repairing that next winter - cut open the floor on both the deck and the pilothouse from the insude, replace what's bad and then reglass the floor.