Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
Are you sure they even took the meat out the day they shot the deer, or are you going by what he said. One will never no the truth. Remember his story about what day he shot the Mule Deer didn't match his story he told in court as someone point out in this thread.
Are you sure he didn't? I saw pictures of him with a pack on with the head and hide and who knows what else in there. The caption was Packing out 150lbs of meat. Again I wasn't there so I guess the prosecutor in this case believed Lesnar because they dropped the charges. More of the story will come out in court when the guide goes to court.

I will not condemn a man based on a one sentence quote from a F&W spokesman. Lets see the court transcript to see what was actually said and what evidence was presented. I personally believe the guide is more in the wrong here than Lesnar. But again just my opinion as someone that wasn't there. I take a wait and see what happens after the next court date stance.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
How do we know what happened to the meat. Perhaps it was all packed out and left in the outfitter's garage for him to take care of.
The article stated he was accused of packing out only the cape and not the meat but the charge was dropped.

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/cana...ing-infraction

Quote:
Lesnar, who is 34, was accused by fish and wildlife officials of shooting a mule deer buck but only packing the trophy head out.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Are you sure he didn't? ...

I will not condemn a man based on a one sentence quote from a F&W spokesman. Lets see the court transcript to see what was actually said and what evidence was presented.

He pleaded guilty so I am not sure what you would see there.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Are you sure he didn't? I saw pictures of him with a pack on with the head and hide and who knows what else in there. The caption was Packing out 150lbs of meat. Again I wasn't there so I guess the prosecutor in this case believed Lesnar because they dropped the charges. More of the story will come out in court when the guide goes to court.

I will not condemn a man based on a one sentence quote from a F&W spokesman. Lets see the court transcript to see what was actually said and what evidence was presented. I personally believe the guide is more in the wrong here than Lesnar. But again just my opinion as someone that wasn't there. I take a wait and see what happens after the next court date stance.
Yup, three side to every story that what I was getting at when I said nobody will no the truth.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:22 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoeT View Post
The article stated he was accused of packing out only the cape and not the meat but the charge was dropped.

http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/cana...ing-infraction
Sadly the newspaper articles surrounding this case have been rife with inaccuracies. I read at one point he was charged with allowing a hide to spoil. I'm not sticking up for him, just pointing out that leaving meat in the outfitter's possesion is common practice. In the video I saw they made a real point about packing the meat out so who knows. Perhaps we'll learn more when the guide's day in court comes.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Sadly the newspaper articles surrounding this case have been rife with inaccuracies. I read at one point he was charged with allowing a hide to spoil. I'm not sticking up for him, just pointing out that leaving meat in the outfitter's possesion is common practice. In the video I saw they made a real point about packing the meat out so who knows. Perhaps we'll learn more when the guide's day in court comes.
Fair enough.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:30 AM

I guess Trophy Hunters Alberta haven't heard that Brock copped a plea yet.
They're still running the "Taps Out Whitetail" as the feature story on their website.
Along with a long morality piece about their "philosophy" Here's an excerpt:

"Our sport is called 'hunting', not 'killing'. We are a 100 per cent 'fair chase' operator and stress principles and ethics above all else. We do not use any type of bait. Hunters who indicate to us that they would only be happy by harvesting a 'book', or 'near book', animal, are usually referred to other outfitters. If these hunters persevere, they will eventually find an outfitter who will tell them what they want to hear. Any outfitter offering any type of guarantee is either new to the outfitting business, inexperienced, unethical or any combination of the foregoing."

I guess there's a lot of wiggle room when it comes to "fair chase" and "ethics."
I'm glad to hear that they don't "bait."
Which, of course, is illegal.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:58 AM

Well I suppose APOS will follow suit with a fine of $175.00 and a suspension of guiding privileges for 1 week .
And all will be forgotten.
Its a sad state here in Alberta.

In BC, a guide was charged with allowing clients to retain more fish then permitted. He was charged $16,000.00 and lost his license for 2 years.

This is why you cant let the foxes police the chickens in the coop.

APOS directors are you listening?

sst
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleshotom View Post
Well I suppose APOS will follow suit with a fine of $175.00 and a suspension of guiding privileges for 1 week .
And all will be forgotten.
Its a sad state here in Alberta.

In BC, a guide was charged with allowing clients to retain more fish then permitted. He was charged $16,000.00 and lost his license for 2 years.

This is why you cant let the foxes police the chickens in the coop.

APOS directors are you listening?

sst
I think you got the Apos punishment a little high....

APOS won't even say it is ILLEGAL to leave meat in the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Taken from TSN.

http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=383197

Lesnar, 34, was accused by fish and wildlife officials of shooting a mule deer buck but only packing the trophy head out.

The director of the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society said it is considered unethical to leave edible meat in the field.

"I'm glad to put this behind me, so I can focus on my fight...December 30," he said.

Brock still claims he is NOT GUILTY of anything, he simply pled guilty to get this off his card.

http://www.calgarysun.com/2011/12/20...oaching-charge

Quote:
Lesnar — who didn’t appear in court — told the MMA News website that he’s guilty of nothing.

“I guess in other people’s judgment, they saw it differently,” he said.

“At the end of the day, if they saw fit that I did something wrong, I’m a grown-up and I’ll take my fine and go on with my life.”
Old 12-21-2011, 12:29 PM

Here's a priceless piece of rhetoric from the APOS "code of ethics" manifesto.

Guiding Principles
Members of the Alberta Professional Outfitters Society of Alberta subscribe to a high standard of professional conduct and ethics. All contrary behaviour, in any fashion related directly or indirectly to the industry, can bring disrepute on individual Society members or the Society as a whole. It is the responsibility of each member to be familiar with all APOS rules that govern business practices, treatment of others and general conduct. It is also the responsibility of every member to cooperate in maintaining professionalism within the industry, including bringing attention to activity or behaviour that may be damaging to APOS. This code provides a standard of conduct for an outfitter, and gives the sportsman a clear indication of what to expect from a member outfitter.
1. A member, or anyone employed by a member, shall not breach, encourage or condone any violation of the Alberta Wildlife Act and regulations. A member shall be in a position to advise both employees and clients of their rights and responsibilities under the Act and regulations, while under his jurisdiction. A member shall make a reasonable effort to report any violation of the Alberta Wildlife Act and regulations, of which they have knowledge, to an Enforcement Officer or to Report a Poacher, at their earliest opportunity.
2. A member, or anyone employed by a member, shall not breach, encourage or condone any violation of any provincial or federal statute that is in any way related to the outfitted hunting industry.

I wonder how much "reasonable effort" went into reporting Brock's Wildlife Act violation?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Here's a priceless piece of rhetoric from the APOS "code of ethics" manifesto.
What " code of ethics " would you expect from an organization that allows convicted criminals, and convicted poachers to be members?
Old 12-21-2011, 05:36 PM

Just read where Wild TV has pulled all the Lesnar adds. Good on them.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
Time will tell if that's a hypocritical move or not?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:50 AM

Is Wild TV pulling APOS ads as well?
Old 12-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Is Wild TV pulling APOS ads as well?
I would rather be associated with Lesnar, than with APOS.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgl1948 View Post
thats rich.....they should weed out all the personalities on their channel who have been fined for wildlife offenses....see if they are left with 2 hours of footage a week...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

With such weak charges what we you all expecting jail time lol write the check Brock see ya next year
Old 12-22-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
With such weak charges what we you all expecting jail time
I was just expecting the same one year suspension that an Alberta resident would likely have received for not tagging an animal.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:00 PM

R v LESNAR

Been watching this thread since I heard about it on another forum...It makes me laugh at how 'holier than thow' intraweb folks are.

I'm not a fan of lesnar, certainly not a fan of the persona that he used to portray on tv and man did I laugh when he got his ass handed to him by carwin and then velasquez...

But, he is a hunter, and when I clicked on the link to the mule deer hunt in question and watched him pack his own deer out, I gained respect for the man. Now I'm just left with a bit of jealousy because he is rich and can go on guided hunts all around north america, and the world for that matter, if he so desires.

To all the asshats that are spouting off at how he should be sporting a lifetime ban from hunting in Alberta, how he has no respect for AB animals and blah, blah, blah ad naseum; do any of you have any first hand knowledge of what happened? I DIDN'T think so.

How many of you know how much the voluntary penalty amount is for a ticket issued for failure to immediately tag an animal under the AB wildlife act?? Here's a hint, it is a hell of alot less than the fine lesnar received from the courts.

As far as what he plead guilty to, I ask you this, how many people immediately walk up to a downed animal and immediately place the appropriate tags in the appropriate places?? From the pictures that I have seen on here of various sheep, deer, elk, bear and moose hunts, I would have to say that the number is very low...So, go to the mirror and have a look, you're staring at a poacher, apparently.

Pull your heads out of your arse.

'rifle

Last edited by longrifle; 12-22-2011 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:08 PM

Old 12-22-2011, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I was just expecting the same one year suspension that an Alberta resident would likely have received for not tagging an animal.
Yep, the 6 mos. was a travesty to justice. I could care less about the dollar value - take his next year season like everyone else gets.

longrifle - HUH? Did you read the thread?
Old 12-22-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longrifle View Post
R v LESNAR

Been watching this thread since I heard about it on another forum...It makes me laugh at how 'holier than thow' intraweb folks are.

I'm not a fan of lesnar, certainly not a fan of the persona that he used to portray on tv and man did I laugh when he got his ass handed to him by carwin and then velasquez...

But, he is a hunter, and when I clicked on the link to the mule deer hunt in question and watched him pack his own deer out, I gained respect for the man. Now I'm just left with a bit of jealousy because he is rich and can go on guided hunts all around north america, and the world for that matter, if he so desires.

To all the asshats that are spouting off at how he should be sporting a lifetime ban from hunting in Alberta, how he has no respect for AB animals and blah, blah, blah ad naseum; do any of you have any first hand knowledge of what happened? I DIDN'T think so.

How many of you know how much the voluntary penalty amount is for a ticket issued for failure to immediately tag an animal under the AB wildlife act?? Here's a hint, it is a hell of alot less than the fine lesnar received from the courts.

As far as what he plead guilty to, I ask you this, how many people immediately walk up to a downed animal and immediately place the appropriate tags in the appropriate places?? From the pictures that I have seen on here of various sheep, deer, elk, bear and moose hunts, I would have to say that the number is very low...So, go to the mirror and have a look, you're staring at a poacher, apparently.

'rifle
Wasn't one of the issues the grazing lease that theywere hunting on had the gates locked when they were in there?
I may be wrong but from what I can deduce this was one the the points that got people going.
Another was the fact that he has no year's suspension, but for a taging violation I'm not sure if there is a mandatory year's suspension.
The other point is that he is oin fact a public figure wehter or not you like him or agree with what he does, and he should have been more careful about being in the public eye.

personally I could care less if he killed a ruffed grouse illegally as long as he was treated the same as anyone else would be.
The guide however should have his ticket lifted which is not going tpo happen, of course.
Cat
Old 12-22-2011, 03:56 PM

Quote:
R v LESNAR

'rifle
Since you appear to have "first hand knowledge" maybe you can fill in a few gaps.
Was this a paid hunt? Or a freebee? I got the impression the outfitter and the ammo company "rented" Brock as a promote.
Camera crew and the whole nine yards. Thus the pressure to get results.
Not unlike our other buddy Jeff Foiles.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Quote:
R v LESNAR

To all the asshats that are spouting off at how he should be sporting a lifetime ban from hunting in Alberta, how he has no respect for AB animals and blah, blah, blah ad naseum; do any of you have any first hand knowledge of what happened? I DIDN'T think so.How many of you know how much the voluntary penalty amount is for a ticket issued for failure to immediately tag an animal under the AB wildlife act?? Here's a hint, it is a hell of alot less than the fine lesnar received from the courts.

'rifle
Since you mention it I was wondering, do YOU have any first hand knowledge of what happened?
Old 12-22-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
As far as what he plead guilty to, I ask you this, how many people immediately walk up to a downed animal and immediately place the appropriate tags in the appropriate places??
The charge that Lesnar pled guilty to was failure to "immediately" tag an animal. Several news sources are reporting that the investigation that led to the charges resulted when a taxidermist was being checked out, and an untagged deer was discovered.
It's not like there was a small delay in tagging the animal, apparently the deer was never legally tagged at all, before being taken to the taxidermist.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
The charge that Lesnar pled guilty to was failure to "immediately" tag an animal. Several news sources are reporting that the investigation that led to the charges resulted when a taxidermist was being checked out, and an untagged deer was discovered.
It's not like there was a small delay in tagging the animal, apparently the deer was never legally tagged at all, before being taken to the taxidermist.
Those same reports also say the deer at the taxidermist was a whitetail and he was charged for the mule deer.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Waugh View Post
Since you appear to have "first hand knowledge" maybe you can fill in a few gaps.
Was this a paid hunt? Or a freebee? I got the impression the outfitter and the ammo company "rented" Brock as a promote.
Camera crew and the whole nine yards. Thus the pressure to get results.
Not unlike our other buddy Jeff Foiles.

NW, I have no idea, and never proclaimed to have any first hand knowledge. But to try compare lesnar's relatively minor infraction to what the prosecutors proved FOILES did is WEAK.

Cat, there is no automatic suspension for contravening Section 37 of the WA, the legislation does however say that a justice may suspend a person upon conviction in court of contravening the aforementioned section for a period of up to 5 years.

As for the land access uproar, I'm pretty sure that a few folks on here have mentioned that the area shown in the video is not on the grazing reserve that folks like walking buffalo are all bent out of shape about.

Still waiting to hear some answers to my simple questions...

'rifle
Old 12-22-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:

as per the regs, in the case of a deer, one must affix the appropriate species tag to the tendon "window" on one of the rear legs of the animal, so there wouldn't have been a tag attached to the cape/antlers/skull of the deer at the taxidermists...

'rifle
Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Good comments rifle, but if you're expecting the handful of zealots you're bantering with here to be reasonable, you're going to be dissapointed.

No amount of objective comments and observations from your end is going to make any difference.

Look at the names, it's always brings out the same bunch on threads like this.

There's always going to be that group, we all know them, the group that goes through life with iceberg sized chips on their shoulders and this forum unfortunately has more than its fair share.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
as per the regs, in the case of a deer, one must affix the appropriate species tag to the tendon "window" on one of the rear legs of the animal, so there wouldn't have been a tag attached to the cape/antlers/skull of the deer at the taxidermists...
So why was there an investigation leading to charges in the first place?
I have had a few animals at the taxidermist, and there was never a reason for the authorities to investigate to see whether they were properly tagged. Something obviously made the officer suspicious.