Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-04-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddave View Post
Does it make you feel good to jump in and post b.s just so you can read your own drivil??
Does it for you.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:40 PM

If you have an argument post up some facts. If you want to argue for the sake of argueing, and look like you have no clue what your talking about, head out to the local sand box. You might find some intelectual parners.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cupped N Committed View Post
How many of you guys run bells on your dogs? Would you recommend it? Pros n cons?
ya I use them, use to have silent dogs so had them on to hopefully warn the cat. Also helps in finding dogs, hear the bells lots of times before seeing them.
Don't have silent dogs anymore but sure liked them. Seemed to have way shorter runs and no concern of alerting the wolves. They would open when they jumped the cat.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
If you have an argument post up some facts. If you want to argue for the sake of argueing, and look like you have no clue what your talking about, head out to the local sand box. You might find some intelectual parners.
Maybe read what you write and follow it yourself.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Does it make you feel good to jump in and post b.s just so you can read your own drivil??
And a high five to you sir!!
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 11-04-2013, 02:48 PM

I've heard that they help keep the wolves away. And also warn a cat if you have a silent hound to avoid that sudden run in which seems to get violent quickly. Just not sure how many run them up here.
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Maybe read what you write and follow it yourself.
I come on here to learn what other guys are doing, tricks of the trade. I dont post b.s to start an argument with them. I will however ask the people that do why they feel the need to. The most comon answer is jealousy, pretty sure this is just another example. Any more questions your welcome to send them to me via pm.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Oh so this has been over a few years. So theres a decline in huntable ram populations and stable overall populations, well you better be closing some of them seasons down. Doesn't sound like a population concern were your buddys brother is hunting 14 rams out and he is still seeing tanks, sounds like just stock piling sheep waiting for a disaster. Would you be bitching if it was 14 rams shot by hunters.
LoL Its obvious you have no clue!!! Do you know anything about the Cadomin mines??? Obviously not so its hard for to you to understand. And SRD has been threatening to close down general seasons on Bighorn rams for the last few years. One of the issues has been a drop in legal sized rams after each season. One reason for this drop is predators. It was simply a statement that cougars are having a hand in this. If one cat has taken 14 rams even over two years it by her self harvesting 5% of what hunters are. Add a portion even of that to every zone and to all the cats in our sheep zones it can skyrocket the number of rams being killed. Yes its a concern to me because like everyone I do not want Albertan's to lose their sheep hunting. Especially because of poor predator managment. So if these cats are affecting things this negatively then maybe its grounds for improved cat quotas and ground to fight to get quotas where they should be.

Last edited by sheepguide; 11-04-2013 at 03:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
I've heard that they help keep the wolves away. And also warn a cat if you have a silent hound to avoid that sudden run in which seems to get violent quickly. Just not sure how many run them up here.
The houndsman that I help out have stated the same. Say that the wolf encounters with their dogs has decreased alot since running bells.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
I come on here to learn what other guys are doing, tricks of the trade. I dont post b.s to start an argument with them. I will however ask the people that do why they feel the need to. The most comon answer is jealousy, pretty sure this is just another example. Any more questions your welcome to send them to me via pm.
Never did have a question for you, your the one that came on all huffy throwing insults trying to start an argument. Your trying to learn tricks of the trade whats 14 dead rams got to do with anything on this thread. You want them dead from people instead of cats then push for more tags there, has nothing to do with the cats. If there is a population concern then yes shut down some seasons. What facts you want stoneguide is the one posting it or part of the 3rd hand storys.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lr1000 View Post
Last week when I was out sheep hunting, there where cat tracks all inside the bush line where the sheep were hanging out. To bad I'm sure those cats will never get hunted.
X2, the cat tracks we saw were a little ways out of the basin but saw at least 3 differnt cats on the main trail alone. Also one fresh set of grizz tracks in the snow.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
The houndsman that I help out have stated the same. Say that the wolf encounters with their dogs has decreased alot since running bells.
Wolve encounters happen often?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:34 PM

Some absolutely "Incredible" cats on here!!

For someone who doesn't know much about cats but see's lots of tracks, can you tell an inexperienced person what you look for in a big cat track?? Whats considered big, when do experiences cat hunters get excited (track wise).

Curious because Ive seen a number of tracks but couldnt honeslty tell when one was a a monster.. inexperience.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
LoL Its obvious you have no clue!!! Do you know anything about the Cadomin mines??? Obviously not so its hard for to you to understand. And SRD has been threatening to close down general seasons on Bighorn rams for the last few years. One of the issues has been a drop in legal sized rams after each season. One reason for this drop is predators. It was simply a statement that cougars are having a hand in this. If one cat has taken 14 rams even over two years it by her self harvesting 5% of what hunters are. Add a portion even of that to every zone and to all the cats in our sheep zones it can skyrocket the number of rams being killed. Yes its a concern to me because like everyone I do not want Albertan's to lose their sheep hunting. Especially because of poor predator managment. So if these cats are affecting things this negatively then maybe its grounds for improved cat quotas and ground to fight to get quotas where they should be.
You guys and your insults, what ever makes you feel good, you have a cat killing sheep in an area that has limited tags and access what do you expect to happen. So theres a drop in legal size every year and you feel one reason is predators, Im sure another is human another is habitat which is also human related among others. There is probably more human related reasons then predator. You only have to read a few of the sheep threads and see the people talk about over hunted areas. A lot of animal populations are effected in different ways, take goats for example shooting a nanny can be hard on a population but people still do it.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Never did have a question for you, your the one that came on all huffy throwing insults trying to start an argument. Your trying to learn tricks of the trade whats 14 dead rams got to do with anything on this thread. You want them dead from people instead of cats then push for more tags there, has nothing to do with the cats. If there is a population concern then yes shut down some seasons. What facts you want stoneguide is the one posting it or part of the 3rd hand storys.
What does the dead rams have to do with cat hunting? Increasing cat numbers due to low hunting quotas maybe is one big one! Decreasing ungulate populations in many zones with climbing cat numbers. Poorly managed predator populations in places with higher sheep populations such as Cadomin just takes longer to reflect this damage than do the zones outside of the sanctuaries. High harvest rates of sheep and all other prey by cats and other animals is a big part of this thread as quotas are far to low. When many zones are closed in the first two days it shows that there is an issue with cat quotas.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:43 PM
Banned

Quote:
You guys and your insults, what ever makes you feel good, you have a cat killing sheep in an area that has limited tags and access what do you expect to happen. So theres a drop in legal size every year and you feel one reason is predators, Im sure another is human another is habitat which is also human related among others. There is probably more human related reasons then predator. You only have to read a few of the sheep threads and see the people talk about over hunted areas. A lot of animal populations are effected in different ways, take goats for example shooting a nanny can be hard on a population but people still do it.
Your right Alberta doesnt have a predator issue. Ya lets go with that!!
Old 11-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
What does the dead rams have to do with cat hunting? Increasing cat numbers due to low hunting quotas maybe is one big one! Decreasing ungulate populations in many zones with climbing cat numbers. Poorly managed predator populations in places with higher sheep populations such as Cadomin just takes longer to reflect this damage than do the zones outside of the sanctuaries.
So if Cadomin has a higher than average number of sheep, doesn't it make sense that natural predators would show up and even thrive in that area? And if the numbers of prey decrease, what do you think happens to the number of predators?
I agree cougar numbers have increased in the province while ungulate numbers, in certain areas, have decreased and maybe the quotas should be slightly increased to reflect this, however, habitat loss is likely the biggest factor affecting the eastern slope regions imo

Also, nice cats on this thread, one day I'll get one for myself (last one needed for the super ten ;p)
Old 11-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Your right Alberta doesnt have a predator issue. Ya lets go with that!!

Never said that at all saying that humans are part of the issue as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Never said that at all saying that humans are part of the issue as well.
Oh for sure! 100% but just mentioned what cats can do and are doing.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBHunter View Post
So if Cadomin has a higher than average number of sheep, doesn't it make sense that natural predators would show up and even thrive in that area? And if the numbers of prey decrease, what do you think happens to the number of predators?
I agree cougar numbers have increased in the province while ungulate numbers, in certain areas, have decreased and maybe the quotas should be slightly increased to reflect this, however, habitat loss is likely the biggest factor affecting the eastern slope regions imo

Also, nice cats on this thread, one day I'll get one for myself (last one needed for the super ten ;p)
It will draw predators for sure. But like I said even if the other zones got a small percentage of what is happening at Cadomin it reflects on a large number of rams harvested. Especially when hunters are only taking on average 138 Resident harvested rams and 41 NR/NRA harvested rams. Higher cat numbers and all predators can really hurt a small population such as Alberta bighorns which in 2011 only had a total population of 11000.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rae View Post
Some absolutely "Incredible" cats on here!!

For someone who doesn't know much about cats but see's lots of tracks, can you tell an inexperienced person what you look for in a big cat track?? Whats considered big, when do experiences cat hunters get excited (track wise).

Curious because Ive seen a number of tracks but couldnt honeslty tell when one was a a monster.. inexperience.

Thanks in advance!
Everyone probably does it different, some measure the back pad some the front some use stride measurement , some go by the size of the front toes.
If you have seen enough you can see a difference in size just like a bear, you see many tracks then you see one and go wow that's a big track. Ive been with people and measured the same track I will say the front pad is 2 1/4 they will say its 2 5/8s. I don't measure tracks anymore can usally tell if its a larger cat or not. A big track does not allways mean it has a big head though if your concerned about that. A big track usally means a more mature cat body wise but you don't really know about the head till you are at the tree and then can still be hard to tell. Doesn't really matter about size anyway for always taking the shot with a Panasonic.
Hope that helps abit.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Wolf encounters happen often?
yes
Old 11-04-2013, 10:55 PM

Would you recommend bells regardless of how open your dogs are while on track? Seems open hounds may attract wolves but I would think the bells, being man made, would maybe make them think that people were near and keep the wolves away.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:28 PM

Here is a clip of the hounds trying to cold trail a sheephunter. they eventually made their way across that mountain side and down into the timber a mile away but there was too just too much drifted snow over the tracks to make up the distance. A sheep winter range is just a short distance from there. We were able to back track the cat and found remnants of a recent sheep kill. They don't necessarily stay in the trees waiting for the sheep to come to them.....

Old 11-04-2013, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Would you recommend bells regardless of how open your dogs are while on track? Seems open hounds may attract wolves but I would think the bells, being man made, would maybe make them think that people were near and keep the wolves away.
Bells, lights, flack jackets, cut vests, spiked collars....tie an old stinky sock to their collar.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:08 AM

Default cats

and... I again say. maybe we should promote the harvest of the female? apparently that is what is killing the sheep in cadimin? But we should maybe look after them little cute cuddley babies that are eating them too?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
Bells, lights, flack jackets, cut vests, spiked collars....tie an old stinky sock to their collar.
This is exactly why people are reluctant to ask questions on here you goof. Honest questions deserve honest answers. Not smart azz remarks!
Old 11-06-2013, 02:46 AM

I usually reference a track with the ammo I happen to be carrying at that time. I did meet a young guide one day as our paths crossed on a tom track, he whipped out a tape measure and proclaimed it to be 2 3/8's and worth chasin. I'd consider any cougar over 2" to be a trophy worth chasing.
Attached Images
File Type: png Snapshot 1.png (65.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Thumbs up

If anyone's hunting around the Edmonton area, I'd love to give a hand and get back into it, before getting my own hounds
Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 AM

Video link two a couple of the cats we took last year. Been out looking for tracks with this snow! Its looking good!. Few more weeks to go!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWv6ab9N86Y