Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-20-2018, 09:45 AM
Banned

Default Moving to USA- bring guns?

So I finally got my green card and plan to move to Texas. Has anyone brought their guns/ imported them when they moved? I guess I have two options : keep my guns here at my family house and just hunt in Alberta and buy a few guns in Texas, or try to import them to the USA and just bring them back for my hunts in AB.

What would y'all recommend from personal experience?
Old 07-20-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
So I finally got my green card and plan to move to Texas. Has anyone brought their guns/ imported them when they moved? I guess I have two options : keep my guns here at my family house and just hunt in Alberta and buy a few guns in Texas, or try to import them to the USA and just bring them back for my hunts in AB.

What would y'all recommend from personal experience?
When I moved down to the US to go to school (and ended up working there for a few years) I took them down - no issues whatsoever (but that was 20+ years ago).

Brought them back here when I moved back and had to send them in bond with my mover and they inspected and released them (I also added a few to the collection) and it was pretty painless and easy. (that was 10 or so years ago).
Old 07-20-2018, 07:34 PM

Have to check with my brother, but he said it was quite painless. USCBP was almost disinterested in the rifles. Check with ATF regarding importation.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:55 AM

I'd imagine if you moved to Texas and didn't bring guns you'd be considered a whack job 😳
Old 07-22-2018, 10:13 AM

If you have the money, two sets of guns is a great choice. One for there, one for here and then it doesn't matter if you drive, fly or whatever coming home. The airlines are starting to get really pricey to fly guns, you can almost pay for one out of the excess baggage fees they charge for one trip back and forth, not to mention the rough handling they get. Driving back and forth is far less of a problem.

Even flying to hunt in countries other than the U.S., between the baggage fees, paper work, and import fees it is far easier and cheaper just to borrow a gun from the host in the country you are hunting. I used to take my own guns to Germany, Poland etc, now I don't bother.
Old 07-22-2018, 06:24 PM

Believe there are some guns we have access to up here, that are not allowed to be imported into the US these days, with embargoes and etc. May pay to call if you have some off breed stuff.