Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2012, 01:46 PM

Default Garbage

I'm getting really tired of my favorite fishing spots being littered with empty minnow containers, lure packaging, beer/pop cans and line. Does anyone else notice this seems to be a growing problem?
Old 05-20-2012, 02:09 PM

Always has been a big problem, and not just on the river where I notice it the most. To many people have a dont give a crap attitude, and feel that its not there responcability. Then they sit and wonder why land owners dont want fisherman going through there land to access fishing areas. A prime example of this is the mouth of the Sturgeon river.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:25 PM

It drives me nuts. I've approached land owners seeking access and have been denied. Frustrating to think that the actions of others have an influence on that.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:21 PM

thats life. deal with it
Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Banned

just got back from nsr herm. my wife and i had a nice 3 hours of productive fishing. i always bring a plastic bag for garbage and though it wasn't too bad along shoreline i walked along picking up other peoples garbage and every time i picked some up i would say loudly "people can be such ****ing slobs". some of the anglers gave me a look but i don't care and i honestly believe it's getting better. i also think that anglers are not the only people littering the shore and treeline.
p.s. a very big percentage of the litter i collected had tim hortons stamped on it.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Banned

Cool

become part of the solution. bring a bag to clean up or search for a while a bag will show up. the bow and popular spots on the red deer are dumps. this year alone a friend and I have a few hours each just picking garbage. if the state of alberta's rivers were a judgment of character of its general public we are in a sad sad way. good post. they are all our rivers I wish others felt the same.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:50 PM

What makes it bad at the herm nsr is that there's actually a garbage can there!
Old 05-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
become part of the solution. bring a bag to clean up or search for a while a bag will show up. the bow and popular spots on the red deer are dumps. this year alone a friend and I have a few hours each just picking garbage. if the state of alberta's rivers were a judgment of character of its general public we are in a sad sad way. good post. they are all our rivers I wish others felt the same.
I always have a bag and take home more garbage than I bring. It's good to see it bothers as many people as it does.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonydamore View Post
I always have a bag and take home more garbage than I bring. It's good to see it bothers as many people as it does.
outstanding, the best way to lead is by example. we spent an hour cleaning up at mackinnon flats not that you could tell. at least an hour below the weir in cow town. just recently an hour on the red deer below the dam. well done on having the same train of thought.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:26 PM

i was down there with waterninja ill give him that he is being honist i saw him worry more about the garbage that his bell on his rig going off
Perch 50 +
Goldeye 10
Sauger 1
Sucker 5
Old 05-20-2012, 09:48 PM

This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I was at sardine lake a while ago and picked up 6 beer bottles and a bunch of line from some a.....le probably sitting and sucking suds then pitching them into the bush.
One of the reasons i don't bother staying at ashland dam any more. always a pig sty.
good post. maybe people with think and be aware.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 AM

Default Red Deer River

When the weather gets hot the idiots floating down the river pretty much ruin the river. Its unreal, I've seen people dump a days worth of beer cans from groups of 10 peole, could not believe my eyes. Just shook my head cause if I said anything im sure the "tough" guys would all be on me, cause thats how they roll these days.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanfewchuk View Post
thats life. deal with it
"Deal with it by packing a garbage bag every time you go out" - responsible fisherman quote.

Don't be a goof and a slob.

Jim
Old 05-21-2012, 01:08 PM

Just remember that the amount of garbage at the good fishing locations is directly purportionat to the number of people who reveil there spots online. I find it quite sad that I can fish a location for months and not see any garbage but as soon as someone posts a picture and tells people the location, there will be at least a bags worth of garbage in a few days.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 05-22-2012, 06:57 AM

Truck always comes home heavier than it left ( not counting fuel ). Yes, garbage from the rivers or lakes!
Old 05-22-2012, 07:01 AM

Says a lot about the person doesn't it? I've seen it so much out here. Where I
used to fish in BC I never seen it along my favorite steelhead river. If one of those old fishermen seen someone do that there they would give the offender a boot in the root.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthonydamore View Post
I'm getting really tired of my favorite fishing spots being littered with empty minnow containers, lure packaging, beer/pop cans and line. Does anyone else notice this seems to be a growing problem?
huge problem. I explored a spot that it doesn't look like anyone has ever fished the other day... it was amazing... nothing there, which BG can attest to. We'll keep it secret, and keep it that way, not that we don't mind sharing, its that we don't like picking other peoples crap up!
Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM

Why don't you organize a clean-up? We did, at Muir Lake and had a BBQ after. Even got some stuff donated to draw as prizes for the volunteers. Had 14 volunteers and the lake looked great. Parking lot, shore line, boat launch and picnic areas were stripped clean of garbage. We're planning on now making this an annual thing. Give it a try, the worst that can happen is nobody shows up and you end up picking garbage by yourself, then have a BBQ and do some fishing.

Cheers,
Doc
Old 05-23-2012, 07:08 PM

Exclamation

Donno whatever happened to "leave nothing but foot prints and take nothing but pictures" The way I was raised, always pack in and plan to pack it all out.

But with everyone today and the amount of packaging everything gets its no joke that everyone leaves their sh*t lying around for everyone else to pick up.