Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2012, 05:07 PM

Default Battle river beast.

Went out to the Battle River this afternoon for a while. Wasn't getting any bites when all of a sudden I had a hit. OMG! I had a walleye on that was at least 8 pounds, but as I was just getting her in, when the hook popped out. I would have certainly let her go anyway, but it would have been nice to get a quick pic first. Anyone else been out on the river yet? I was fishing north of Hardisty. The river is medium high, and the water quite dirty, but you never know.....
Old 05-21-2012, 09:41 PM

Fish it near ponoka lots, getting lots of pike , no walleys yett, caught a 7-8 pound wally a few years ago outa the battle, super thick healthy fish!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 PM

Ive been seeing people park beside the river along highway 2 lately. Ive been wondering how the fishing has been. I have found a few holes around camrose. Next time out visiting the girlfriends family I am going to give them a try.

How deep is the Battle River between Camrose and Ponoka?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Ive been seeing people park beside the river along highway 2 lately. Ive been wondering how the fishing has been. I have found a few holes around camrose. Next time out visiting the girlfriends family I am going to give them a try.

Let us know how it goes! I see alot of people parked there as well. Always wondered about trying it.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

Couldn't tell you on the depth as I have only fished a few places along that stretch. Have always had excellent success a few miles south of the Camrose Landfill. Used to know the landowner there very well. Caught and released pike all day/everyday I fished it.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:22 PM

Didn't a semi full of beef roll into battle river on hwy 2 recently? I think once all of those growth hormones get eaten up there will be some freaky big fish in there. Think of a pike version of Alberta Bigbore.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:19 PM

i have been doing pretty good around ponoka, had a couple 20-30 fish mornings,2-3lb average, biggest around 5lbs, had one around 10...peeled abunch of line off and spit it..., my buddy got him a few days later. there is a few holes around the highway but not worth it IMO...have floated it before. caught some on my flyrod in the rain this morning. looking for Walleyes..pretty scarce in my area, but have caught some nice ones(7-8lber few years ago-my biggest) in the past. there is some BIG holes in the Battle, but the water gets very low and stagnant by fall. It gets alot of Pressure, and the fish population is pretty fragile. one spring i found 50+ winterkilled fish...alot of Walleye...el nino year couple years back...it is a far cry from how it was when i was a kid...caught & RELEASED alot of monsters(10-15lbers anyway), it bugs me that you are aloud to keep fish out of it, i would never eat them out of there( and i love to eat fish), but some do...