Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Stupid fast... Fast... Fast salmon filleting!!!

...BUT DOWNRIGHT DISGUSTING!!! The waste I'm referring to, for the disgusting part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsL5acnXTNM

Caption below the video states that these are nasty great lakes fish and the bellies have no fat, also that these is a "fishy layer" along the skin that is icky? I sure don't want to take my stuff to this guy!

But then theres this here nice old feller...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsIYLTlWig8

No waste. No doubt the fillets will be prone to age in the freezer if not eaten in a year, but us ignorant prairie gophers mostly can't tell, although I know a big fat guy that has extremely refined taste than can tase/smell anything!!! But even so, he sez the aging on freezer fillet is definitely not worth the heinous waste.

I took my fish into a processor last year on my ocean trip and the bellies were missing just like on the first video, and that was at Rupert. This year I might have to fillet my own. Gotta love salmon belly!
Old 06-19-2017, 09:06 AM

In the video of the old guy ....if a fellow uses a soup spoon to scrape the flesh off the bones you'll get every last morsel. You could pack it into jars and process it or just put into bags and freeze for samwiches, soup etc.

In a certain place We used to buy fish "bones" for stock but there was so much meat left on the bones that we could pick the meat off and use it in soup or...put it into puff pastry and sell it for big bucks.

The first video is a horrible waste
Old 06-19-2017, 05:27 PM

Looks like a packing plant in the first video, the stuff your thinking is being wasted is not thrown away or wasted it is used for petfood, hatchery fish food, fish farm food, aquarium food,fish oils, vitamins, Omega # fatty acids, calcium supplements and various other vitamins, fishmeal, eggs for caviar and sushi, fertilizer, fish sauces, collagen, protein additives, food binders, gelatins, medicines and tons of other value added products. Worked next to a fish packing plant years ago, asked what they did with the waste, the answer was what waste, those big square bins full of guts, bones, heads, skins, scales, fins, eyeballs, blood, etc were shipped to buyers who use every bit of it. Some of it more valuable per pound than the fillets.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:55 PM

a lot of meat wasted in first video
Old 06-19-2017, 06:56 PM

Wow, throwing away the belly meat? That's the tastiest part!
Old 06-20-2017, 06:46 AM

I want their knifes !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e26rsOMbJjY
This young lady does a nice job!
I like filleting fish and take pride in it. My family relies on the fish and quality of it. It looks to me like 4 meals per fish are being wasted.
I bet the filleter in the video goes through the bin and takes all the tail and belly meat for his home smoker.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Wow, throwing away the belly meat? That's the tastiest part!
Exactly my thoughts. Seems like very wasteful way of filleting.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:02 PM

It gets used for salmon candy.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:52 PM

I thought the guy in the 1st video was almost perfect. He left the rib bones and belly fat on the carcass and took out a fishy tasting lateral line when skinning. Looked like a nice boneless piece of salmon ! But then again, boiling fish bones is not for me.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:47 AM
AO Sponsor

i leave the lower portion of the meat and the belly on my fillets, like I say, the best part to eat, also the most healthy, that's where a lot of the omega 3, and its th most succulent part. His fillets might be nearly boneless but so are mine, but mine include that yummy 20% extra meat.

In the first video, the guy is cleaning sport caught fish on the Great Lakes, he's a commercial processor.

I'm betting he doesn't take the "waste" home but instead sells it at a profit?

Last summer I had my fish put up at Rupert, they did a lovely job of vacuum packing and paper wrapping all my fillets, but when I got home I discovered my fillets were super thin and the bellies were all gone. I was missing mass amounts of meat. I knew they trimmed them up, I thought for presentation, but it looks to me that they like to collect as much "waste" as possible?

Bushrat pointed out the value of some of the "waste". Watch your processor! If you like eating your fish and don't like them throwing all the good stuff away... Beware!