Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Default I Guess No Bass Pro at EIA

I guess there will not be a Bass Pro at the Edmonton Airport Mall. Very disappointing. With WSS gone there is not much competition. I had heard that BPS had planned on going in and had already paid quite a large sum for safety and fire suppression designs for the store. I guess when BPS bought Cabelas the writing was on the wall.

This is unfortunate because the two stores have very different stock and when they carry the same items the pricing can be quite different.

Has anyone heard any other news on this topic?
Old 05-02-2018, 09:06 AM

Couldn't care less. Went into Crossiron one on way to Canmore last weekend. Everything is overpriced--I actually walked out empty handed---and that is pretty damn rare---plus their website is brutal.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:12 AM

Yes I live close I was hoping for it to be there too

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Couldn't care less. Went into Crossiron one on way to Canmore last weekend. Everything is overpriced--I actually walked out empty handed---and that is pretty damn rare---plus their website is brutal.
Harsh.

I have had some terrific deals at BPS. I have bought $200 reels for $70 (Diawa lexa). When they decide to get rid of stock the price really comes down. Also their selections of hooks, sinkers, jigs and other terminal tackle is hard to beat. To each......
Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfoo View Post
Harsh.

I have had some terrific deals at BPS. I have bought $200 reels for $70 (Diawa lexa). When they decide to get rid of stock the price really comes down. Also their selections of hooks, sinkers, jigs and other terminal tackle is hard to beat. To each......
Just a little sour, went in there to look at a new 30-06---guy was a jerk at gun counter and treated me like I was 16---I'm 45. Plenty of other places to buy the same gun.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:58 AM

BPS was planning to come in before they purchased Cabelas. Especially now after seeing financials etc for these stores they know there isn't enough market(since they sell a lot of the same stuff especially after merger) for a 3rd location here in Edmonton.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:03 AM

If BPS was smart they would still put in a BPS here. I'm pretty sure it would to very well. Must be the fish tank...
Old 05-02-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
If BPS was smart they would still put in a BPS here. I'm pretty sure it would to very well. Must be the fish tank...
Better to convert one of the existing Cabela's to a BPS.

BW
Old 05-02-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
It would probably do ok but mainly it would just take customers away from their other stores which would then do poorly. If BPS did come in I wouldn't be surprised if it meant closing down one of the Cabelas locations and closing down a perfectly fine store to build a new one doesn't make much financial sense.

BPS wanted a piece of the market up here, they already have most of the market now and unless things start booming here again there isn't enough of a market for a 3rd big store. That is why WSS closed its doors and they had a lot of good stuff that set them apart from Cabelas not to mention usually lower prices.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:24 PM

All good points Bigwoods and Rav.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:59 PM

I was told BPS was in the process of making a Canadian web site. Bout time.

Rumour has it the Calgary Cabellas has a good chance of being a stand alone Tracker Centre. Have heard this several times from Bass people but who knows, have to wait and see. Also it is my understanding that the Cabella dist. centre will stay in Balzac and also be used for both stores.

Only time will tell.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

Rumour has it the Calgary Cabellas has a good chance of being a stand alone Tracker Centre. Have heard this several times from Bass people but who knows, have to wait and see. Also it is my understanding that the Cabella dist. centre will stay in Balzac and also be used for both stores.

Only time will tell.

BPS will likely just leverage the Cabelas Canada site. It’s a pretty good base and already has Canadian prices and shipping options.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 05-02-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post

Only time will tell.
What is a tracker centre?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I have stopped bothering to even check as the prices are high and you cannot check online, the service pretty standard, and they do not carry many of the brands I am interested in.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
What is a tracker centre?
Tracker Boats dealer.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
It would probably do ok but mainly it would just take customers away from their other stores which would then do poorly. If BPS did come in I wouldn't be surprised if it meant closing down one of the Cabelas locations and closing down a perfectly fine store to build a new one doesn't make much financial sense.

BPS wanted a piece of the market up here, they already have most of the market now and unless things start booming here again there isn't enough of a market for a 3rd big store. That is why WSS closed its doors and they had a lot of good stuff that set them apart from Cabelas not to mention usually lower prices.
A BPS would give them an opportunity to sell boats and quads that they don,t sell at Cabelas. Also a BPS would be a draw for the mall. Why drive out to the air port for the same stores you find in town?
Old 05-02-2018, 06:02 PM

They do have the odd good item but overall if you are shopping for best price not the best. Saying that pay attention to some of their clearance stuff as they are not afraid to almost give it away.
Old 05-02-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
Tracker Boats dealer.
Thanks! :-)
Old 05-03-2018, 01:17 PM

Personally speaking, as far as fishing/boating stuff goes Cabellas pretty much sucks in my opinion and always has. Much better for hunting stuff I think. Bass Pro has a way better and larger selection of product. I don’t even bother with Cabellas anymore, Fishing Hole is just as good and even better from a service standpoint. Very disappointing Bass Pro has decided not to come to this area. They’d be better off shutting down both Cabellas locations and putting a proper fully stocked store down at EIA. When it comes to my fishing gear I am not overly price conscious about it, I buy quality stuff that I know works and I don’t really mind paying for that. I guess I will continue to shop online mostly, Bass Pros and Cabellas loss I guess and good for the Fishing Hole. Bass Pro didn’t really make a very wise decision here I don’t think. As another poster stated, they will not get as many sales for boats, motors, quads, boat supplies etc up in this part of the province and it’s too bad because there selection of products is really good.
Old 05-03-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
Personally speaking, as far as fishing/boating stuff goes Cabellas pretty much sucks in my opinion and always has. Much better for hunting stuff I think. Bass Pro has a way better and larger selection of product. I don’t even bother with Cabellas anymore, Fishing Hole is just as good and even better from a service standpoint. Very disappointing Bass Pro has decided not to come to this area. They’d be better off shutting down both Cabellas locations and putting a proper fully stocked store down at EIA. When it comes to my fishing gear I am not overly price conscious about it, I buy quality stuff that I know works and I don’t really mind paying for that. I guess I will continue to shop online mostly, Bass Pros and Cabellas loss I guess and good for the Fishing Hole. Bass Pro didn’t really make a very wise decision here I don’t think. As another poster stated, they will not get as many sales for boats, motors, quads, boat supplies etc up in this part of the province and it’s too bad because there selection of products is really good.

x2

Cabelas just does not have the selection that BPS has.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:11 PM

I would shop Cabelas before Bass pro. Bass Pro has too many low grade items and more expensive unless it’s on a sale. My hope is someone starts up a WSS type of store in Calgary. Tired of American stores trying to sell me bass gear. lol