Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-08-2018, 12:13 AM

Default Sticky Fishing Reel...Service in Calgary?

I have a Shimano Symetre reel that has regrettably been neglected by me and come to loose all its smoothness. It also has a sort of sticky spot in the retrieve where I feel more resistance when turning the crank. I've never really taken apart a reel and am afraid that I'll just screw it up even more if I tinker with it. Is there anywhere in Calgary that could service a fishing reel? If so, would the cost be affordable on a budget? Would fixing this likely be so easy that a ninny like myself could likely figure it out?

Appreciate any answers, and wishing good times on the water to all.

Andrew
Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 AM

Default YouTube

I simply did it myself after watching videos online, Went to Cabelas and got the Quantum Hot Sauce in both the oil and grease and my reels are now SMOOTH!

All except my bottom old bottom drag Shimano that I cannot get the pin out of to start the rebuild process.

Best of luck
Old 05-08-2018, 08:09 AM

I would box it up and send it to Shimano. It'll be the best $40 or so you could spend on a reel. They'll completely service it, replace any necessary parts, tune it up, and send it back to you as good as new. They do amazing work and the turnaround is quick, although it might be a bit longer this time of year.

http://fish.shimano.com/content/dam/...0Canada_v4.pdf
Old 05-08-2018, 04:33 PM

look it up on you tube. You will find it is a lot easier than you think. It may just be in need of a basic clean with some oil and grease. the hot sauce is the best IMO