Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2022, 11:49 PM

Default Utilities provider - Sending a message

As I understand it, most utility(power, water, gas) providers have to allow homeowners to switch providers if they wish.

How many subscribers questioning this would it take to garner a response? Thanks!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-13-2022, 06:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
As I understand it, most utility(power, water, gas) providers have to allow homeowners to switch providers if they wish.

How many subscribers questioning this would it take to garner a response? Thanks!
What’s the issue
Old 09-13-2022, 07:35 AM

Quote:

I give up.
How many?
Old 09-13-2022, 07:49 AM

Sounds like he's in a "contract" with direct energy

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk
Old 09-13-2022, 11:27 AM

A group of citizens have a theoretical/philosophical disagreement with a utility provider. They claim to be very 'ethical' & community sensitive.

We aren't seeing it, so wonder how many of people switching away from them would pique their interest ?

Old 09-13-2022, 11:46 AM

Likely depends on the size of the company and service area.

If it's Fortis for example, and 200 people in Edmonton broke away, may not even be a blip on the radar. If it's Equs in Ponoka County, 25 people walking out may trigger a board meeting.
Old 09-13-2022, 12:02 PM
Banned

You need to be more specific
Gas power tele water etc are all different
If your mad at Rogers as a cell service provider. They are not that likely to care, because the cost of increasing their coverage in your area. Is in the millions or more dollars range. And losing 20 people isn’t not worth the capital investment
Old 09-13-2022, 12:05 PM
Banned

If it’s a gas or power company
They probably own the infrastructure
Do you are going to be paying them irregardless of who’s name is on the bill
All your service fees will go to them
Old 09-13-2022, 10:47 PM

I get the infrastructure. These big utility companies seem to place a lot of value on being non-confrontational. We'd like to send them a message. They want to do some installations in our area, and there's better areas available.

Any employees of one of these bad boys? Anyone with experience changing their mind on a project? TIA

Old 09-13-2022, 10:51 PM

Quote:
I get the infrastructure. These big utility companies seem to place a lot of value on being non-confrontational. We'd like to send them a message. They want to do some installations in our area, and there's better areas available.

Any employees of one of these bad boys? Anyone with experience changing their mind on a project? TIA
If you’d cut to the chase and dispense with the cryptic nonsense, you’d be getting some advice I’m sure.

I’ve worked in both distribution and generation side of the electrical industry, but I’m left scratching my head at your cryptic approach.

There are no absolutes
Old 09-14-2022, 06:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
If you’d cut to the chase and dispense with the cryptic nonsense, you’d be getting some advice I’m sure.

I’ve worked in both distribution and generation side of the electrical industry, but I’m left scratching my head at your cryptic approach.
Exactly
All these industries are similar yet different

Your complaining about them upgrading your services?

My guess is that your complaining about telus putting in fiber optics
But I’m just guessing because for some reason your beating around the bush
Old 09-14-2022, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Sounds like he's in a "contract" with direct energy

do you see that as a problem? i have one and would certainly like some details for consideration at renewal time.
Old 09-14-2022, 09:54 PM

HeyZuess man - just spit it out

If you are referring to NG services in the rural area - you have no choice, the franchise areas are split between rural cooperatives and the big boy ATCO
You will get your gas service from whoever holds that franchise area
Old 09-14-2022, 10:17 PM

It's a large gas/electricity provider discussing putting a large facility in our area. They claim to be community conscious, I'm asking for thoughts on what their stance really is??? We're making a lot of racket, and their local partner has some issues, so was wondering about AO's thoughts & experiences with such matters. Thanks again!

Old 09-15-2022, 06:10 AM

Quote:
It's a large gas/electricity provider discussing putting a large facility in our area. They claim to be community conscious, I'm asking for thoughts on what their stance really is??? We're making a lot of racket, and their local partner has some issues, so was wondering about AO's thoughts & experiences with such matters. Thanks again!
Are you looking for someone who actually works for said company to find out "what their stance really is"? I'm a little confused why you're asking the forum. I work for a utility provider, and I know that if a customer has a concern, that customer would normally consult with us directly. Do you feel like they're not being truthful about the project/objectives? Has their been situations so far to make you feel like you don't trust them?
Old 09-15-2022, 06:40 AM

Quote:
How are we supposed to know if you continue to be so cryptic? ATCO, DirectEnergy, ENMAX, JustEnergy, etc all are different companies with (largely) different values but in the end they want to make money and anything beyond that is lip service to allow them to continue to make money.

Not sure what sort of “facility” they could be building that has you in such a state of fear, and if the company says they need it, as long as they’re following all gov’t regulations, why are you standing in the way of progress? Last I checked most power/gas facilities are largely non-noxious sites and typically are very neatly done to be as unnoticeable as possible.

Realistically, how large the project is and how sensitive the matter is to their operations will depend on the number of upset customers it’ll take to have them change their plans. Perhaps they already have the land acquired for this project—that alone will make it hard to alter the course. Maybe it’s a $50m project—20 residents cancelling their plans won’t make a dent. Maybe it’s the only viable location they can figure out while being a critical piece of operational infrastructure—200 people could cancel and they wouldn’t care. Maybe it’s just a small pump station or transformer—20 people cancelling might change their mind.

A really bizarre thread but at least the mystery has some intrigue.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:59 AM
Gone Hunting

I don't know which company you are talking about, it makes a big differance.

Here Bruce Power proposed to build a Nuclear power plant on the shores of Lac Cardinal, a local favorite recreation area and major migration stop for migrating birds.

Locals protested loudly, Bruce Power claimed to be community and enviormentally sensitive. They also claimed to have never had an incident at any of their plants. It came out later that this was a lie. They'd had several incindents, some were quiet serious in fact.

Locals lobbied against the proposal so Bruce Power chose a different site, next to the Peace River. Which again caused locals major concern over enviornmental issues.

Support for the protest rose to over 60% among locals at which point Bruce Power backed off. It's been over ten years now and no development has been done.

Except for a huge power line the province put in with our money. A line with about 25 times the capacity of present lines in the area.
The province claims the line is for local use but we were not even close to using the existing capacity, so the new line sits idle.
And we paid for it.

But at least we don't have a mega bomb in our back yards.

In our case it took media attention and massive local protest to get the project stopped.

I'm 99.9 percent sure that a hand full of locals protesting without the media getting involved would have accomplished nothing.

It may be that if you are dealing with a smaller corperation that is actually honest, a rare thing in the corporate world, you may get what you want.
But I doubt it.

Get the media and a good share of the local population on your side and you'll most likely win.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-15-2022, 08:15 AM

Default nimbyism

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...glish/nimbyism

Is this something that must be done in order to maintain company/client provision/service?

I for one would love to see nuclear power developed in AB. Of course I wouldn't want to have a reactor in my backyard...............there's a little bit of nimbyism in all of us.

When I lived in ON, the closest reactor was 100km away and there are 16 units in operation, supplying 60% of the power.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic...glish/nimbyism

Is this something that must be done in order to maintain company/client provision/service?

I for one would love to see nuclear power developed in AB. Of course I wouldn't want to have a reactor in my backyard...............there's a little bit of nimbyism in all of us.

When I lived in ON, the closest reactor was 100km away and there are 16 units in operation, supplying 60% of the power.
Current and next generation nuclear plants are safe
None of the issues associated with Fukushima or Chernobyl are possible
Old 09-15-2022, 03:53 PM

^ indeed... as well as we're neither a small island on the side of the Pacific, neither are we in a Soviet era "no bad news" policy.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Current and next generation nuclear plants are safe
None of the issues associated with Fukushima or Chernobyl are possible
I lived in between 2 nuclear plants in Southern Ontario and never worried about it one bit.
Old 09-17-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
do you see that as a problem? i have one and would certainly like some details for consideration at renewal time.
Not at all, I'm in one ATCO currently, locked in my rates last summer when they started climbing. Just seems a lot of people have issues when the lock in to a contract with Direct Energy

Old 09-17-2022, 08:42 PM

Couple of guys have reached out to me. Much appreciated!