Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 05:38 PM

I think you should call the fly *Headcheese* or *Global Thermal Nuclear War*.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBC View Post
I think you should call the fly *Headcheese* or *Global Thermal Nuclear War*.
hahaha global thermal nuclear war is hilarious

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortsideK View Post
Yes, the mid-winter blues leaves me (and others) with not much better to do than to cause trouble. Somewhat mentally stimulating.
Regarding sending out some of your ties, please send me 200 of assorted sizes. Hah! Kidding. No, I may tie a few of your pattern, but undoubtedly use different materials. Does that mean I should change the name (once you have finally decided on one)? Again, kidding.
Your enthusiasm lifts my spirits and I only wish you well.
i suppose that sparks the debate to whether or not there are really any original patterns any more doesnt it lol any stonefly pattern would undoubtedly be a variation to a certain degree of the "original" stonefly pattern. or any mayfly nymph for that matter. i guess it all depends how you want to look at it.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:56 PM

Flys are not like Coke or Pepsi,,, I think there might be one or two patterns with trademarks / patents, but for the life of me, I can't remember which ones!!!

At any rate when a fly comes off your vise or out of your fly box, you can call it any damn thing you want,,,, if you want to call an "Adams" by the name "Jones",,, go for it,,, it's just that nobody else will have a clue what you are talking about!!!

Fly fishing is so supposed to be fun,,, It is kinda fun coming up with a unique name for a fly you believe to be unique.

If it's a good name and a good fly, the name will stick as the fly gets spread throughout the flyfishing world. If the name and fly suck, it will be tossed aside and completely forgotten about by fly anglers and the originator will need to do something else to get his 15 minutes of fame!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikebreath View Post
Flys are not like Coke or Pepsi,,, I think there might be one or two patterns with trademarks / patents, but for the life of me, I can't remember which ones!!!

At any rate when a fly comes off your vise or out of your fly box, you can call it any damn thing you want,,,, if you want to call an "Adams" by the name "Jones",,, go for it,,, it's just that nobody else will have a clue what you are talking about!!!

Fly fishing is so supposed to be fun,,, It is kinda fun coming up with a unique name for a fly you believe to be unique.

If it's a good name and a good fly, the name will stick as the fly gets spread throughout the flyfishing world. If the name and fly suck, it will be tossed aside and completely forgotten about by fly anglers and the originator will need to do something else to get his 15 minutes of fame!!!
i agree with this. that is why i posted the recipe as well and not just a picture of the fly. i would love for others to tie it and let me know if it works for them! there is a certain degree of satisfaction in catching fish on a fly you tied.. and im sure having others catch fish on a pattern that you originated would be pretty neat as well. i guess we will just have to wait and see if anyone actually ties it and tries it out

Old 01-18-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyfisherman View Post
i agree with this. that is why i posted the recipe as well and not just a picture of the fly.
Just a couple questions about the recipe. What hook did you use? You say the abdomen is UTC thread, but it looks like dubbing?
Old 01-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
Just a couple questions about the recipe. What hook did you use? You say the abdomen is UTC thread, but it looks like dubbing?
the hook is a firehole outdoors 316 in size 16 and i might have mixed up thorax and abdomen when i wrote the recipe. its a thread body then dubbed abdomen. you can use any curved hook to substitute i just like the fireholes because they come barbless

Old 01-18-2018, 01:57 PM

Thanks