Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-27-2010, 12:05 PM

Post Robert Kennedy Still Defending Claim that Alberta Fish are Inedible

Kennedy defends claim that Alberta fish inedible
Updated: Wed Jan. 27 2010 08:36:28

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...ub=CalgaryHome

CTV.ca News Staff

Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is defending his recent claims that most of Alberta’s freshwater fish are inedible due to contamination.

Kennedy made the claim on Jan. 16 during a speech at a fundraising dinner for his Waterkeeper Alliance at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel.

Kennedy told more than 600 attendees, who paid $500 each to attend the fundraiser, that as much as 90 per cent of Alberta’s fish are too contaminated to eat.

During an interview Wednesday on CTV’s Canada AM, Kennedy did not say on what research his claim is based.

However, he did say most Canadian fish have some mercury in them, and went on to list the health problems the chemical poses to humans.

“Mercury is a deadly neurotoxin, it’s a brain killing poison, even a molecule of mercury could destroy brain cells and cause deformities in children,” Kennedy said.

“It causes a grim inventory of diseases: autism, blindness, mental ******ation, speech delay, language delay, ticks, learning disorders, as well as heart disease, liver disease and kidney disease. The tests that we do have, which are mainly done provincially in Canada, indicate that Canada has the same problem with mercury that we have in the United States.”

The Alberta government says most of the mercury in fish likely comes from natural sources in soils and sediments.

However, environmental advocacy groups, as well as both Health Canada and the Canadian Food Inspection Safety, point out that mercury is also released into the environment via human activities, such as pulp and paper processing, mining and burning garbage and fossil fuels.

Environmental groups such as Greenpeace also contend that when the wetlands that originally covered Alberta’s tar sands are drained, high amounts of mercury can be released into surrounding water bodies.

Health Canada sets fish consumption guidelines based on the concentration of mercury in fish tissue, as well as on the human body’s ability to eliminate the element.

The agency recommends that when mercury levels in fish exceed 0.5 ppm, women of child-bearing age and children under 11 should avoid eating that fish. Healthy adults may eat limited amounts of that fish.

According to tables published online by the province, women of child-bearing age and children under 11 should avoid between one and five types of fish from each of 16 of Alberta’s rivers and lakes.

The tables indicate that healthy adults are limited to 75 grams per week of all but walleye and northern pike from Lac La Nonne, of which 400 grams per week is allowed.

Kennedy argues that Health Canada’s regulations are misguided and there are no safe levels of mercury.

“Here’s what I would say to Health Canada: if you want mercury in your fish, any mercury, even a molecule of mercury, you should add it yourself at home,” Kennedy said. “But don’t put it in fish that the public has to eat, and don’t allow polluters to put it into the fish that the public has to eat.”
Old 01-27-2010, 12:18 PM

So Eating fish in alberta is slowly progressing to be harder on the body then illict drug use.
Tisk Tisk.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:29 PM

interesting , we tested a trout from the bow ourselves when my buddy was at Uof C and we found the levels were low then , too low to even consider . Maybe things have changed but I doubt it . Is there any hard facts to his claims or is he blowing steam? I suspect the latter and he should stay south of the border where he belongs
Old 01-27-2010, 12:41 PM

all water have . what do you eat ? we have same supply water form
Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 PM

this guy would probly prefer to live in a bubble.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM

He might be an extremist but his point is somewhat valid. Health Canada is a government agency which is swayed & controlled by politicians who in turn are under the influence of majority public opinion. In other words, don't rock the boat & most people will keep supporting & electing you.

Imagine the chaos & fallout that would ensue if a high profile politician or agency publically stated that the truth is that "safe levels of consumption" are in fact too high for anyone to be safe & that most fish are indeed not safe to consume! Just because the government says it's safe to eat X mg of poison per person per week doesn't mean it's acceptable.

Sorry for the rant but I get riled up whenever I hear anyone say that a certain amount of poisonous or carcinogenic chemical is "safe in certain amounts". Might as well throw a pinch of arsenic on your cereal once a week because I'm sure that's safe in tiny amounts too

As dark & apocalyptic as it may seem, we have been pumping chemicals & radiation into the water & air and tearing up & disturbing the soil for decades so it had to start showing up some time didn't it?

Last edited by pikester; 01-27-2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM

What's the big deal? I particpate on some American Boards, and I always tell them the fishing in Alberta is bad, that there are no birds here, and that they might as well just stay home. Hey, I'm not an outfitter, why do I need out-of-province people thinking the fishing or hunting is good here? .
Old 01-27-2010, 05:16 PM

Celebrities cant seem to mind their own business, unfornatly.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:17 PM

I get his point. Its kind of like the guns that US born players are bringing into US based teams and sports. I wonder whats more likely to harm. Mercury or Lead.

Maybe he should float his boat somewhere else other than the bow.

Iam all for catch and release so maybe I will live to be 50

CR
Old 01-27-2010, 05:56 PM

lucky for him all the fish in American waters are perfectly safe to eat. He would have to stay home and bit-ch not come bother us.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-27-2010, 06:17 PM

Default Contaminated Fish?

Dang I am going to die after eating that tasty,tasty,super tasty white fish Monday for supper that I pulled out of Gull Lake on Monday.

I don't believe it so I guess i better sample one more of them tsty little devils just to make sure it isn't bad.

Kennedy don't they seem prone to lead poisoning?
Probably would be bad to eat if one was a canabal!!!!!!!!!!

Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 01-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Smile Alberta Fish Inedible because of mercury according to Robert Kennedy Jr. ????

Since when has Robert Kennedy Jr. become an expert on the mercury level in fish in Alberta ? Some time ago me & a maintenance man, at a power plant I worked at, re-calibrated the flow transmitters in the plant and probably handled 20 lbs + of pure mercury and the flow transmitters worked just fine. Has R K Jr. looked at the inside of his thermostat lately and seen the mercury switch ?? He should have his B P checked -oops the instrument uses mercury !! $500 / plate for his fund raiser -getting just as bad as the Oilers !! Anyways 0.5 ppm is a very minute amount and if this is the level that some fish have tested at it is very little to worry about. Mercury occurs naturally in all soils and maybe RK jr. got into some and it has affected his brain !! Does anybody know what was on the menu for his fundraiser !! I don't think we are in any danger from eating fish caught in Alberta. If he's really worried we could serve him some sardines on toast with onions ,mustard , salt & pepper !(maybe he would pay $500/ can) Delicious !!!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:22 PM

Thats okay....I read a scientific article the other day that states 90% of Kennedy's are drunkards and the other 10% are thinking about it.... and have no reason to dispute it..prove me wrong!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:32 PM

thing is...

contamination is such a "broad" term in my opinion...

I'm sure he's right that the fish are contaminated, however I doubt there are many fish in the world that aren't contaminated with something...

I know I'm still eatin them
Old 01-27-2010, 07:48 PM

there are no fish left in Alberta, and if you do get lucky and find one it will be full of poison, fight like crap, stink like hell, and be ugly as sin, so all you yankees go fishing elsewhere.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-27-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynechristie View Post
there are no fish left in alberta, and if you do get lucky and find one it will be full of poison, fight like crap, stink like hell, and be ugly as sin, so all you yankees go fishing elsewhere. :d

x2:d
Old 01-28-2010, 08:12 AM

This idiot just likes to see his name in the news
Old 01-28-2010, 08:59 AM
Gone Fishing

I say we ask him for a biopsy of his liver to test and proclaim that all americans have liver damage which effects their brains.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:16 AM

Default It's HOWDY DOODY TIME

I wonder who has their hand up his a@s moving his lips?
Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Banned

why does this have to be about being an american. there are just as many left wing, self righteous, lazy hippies in canada!! just go to b.c.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big View Post
why does this have to be about being an american. there are just as many left wing, self righteous, lazy hippies in canada!! just go to b.c.
every province has its share. but this one makes the news unfortunately. So sad the only thing he can be famous for is dissing other peoples countries.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 AM

Well, I hope this hits the news all over the world. less people coming here to fish= more fishing for us!!
Should we spread the word that touching antlers from AB deer cause cancer?

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!