Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Banned

Default Peerless lake ice off!

The plan is to head up May long weekend. I would imagine the ice would be off by then?. Anyone do any laker fishing in the early season up that way?
Old 04-06-2011, 04:57 PM

i have fished it regularly. some years its off may long weekend(ussually), sometimes not. the best fishing is before its completely gone. and for some reason, the lakers head for the deep very fast after the ice is gone.( sometimes a week after the ice is gone, so are the fish. have to fish em deep again.) a cold spring will have ice still on the lake.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:02 PM

the good news is graham lake is just across the road. if fishin is slow at peerless, the walleye can be awsome at graham! we used to take a conoe with us to graham and portage up a short creek to vandersteen. some whopper eyes there! this was over 15 years ago btw.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
the good news is graham lake is just across the road. if fishin is slow at peerless, the walleye can be awsome at graham! we used to take a conoe with us to graham and portage up a short creek to vandersteen. some whopper eyes there! this was over 15 years ago btw.
Ya Graham is now closed till June 1st i believe, so going in May long would be a negative.

With this spring im thinking there will still be some ice on Peerless then. Hopefully theres enough to do some good boating!
Old 04-07-2011, 05:31 PM

Wink Camping At Peerless or Graham

If you stay over night there take a bottle of rye or 24 of Beer and leave it out were it is very easy to see. Very cheap insurance for you.
Cheers and Happy Fishin
Old 04-07-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
If you stay over night there take a bottle of rye or 24 of Beer and leave it out were it is very easy to see. Very cheap insurance for you.
Cheers and Happy Fishin
my dad used to do that in the 70s and 80s . they would bring more booze than that though. they would come back in a few hours lookin for more.... now your dealin with same peaple but now they are smashed!
Old 04-07-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
my dad used to do that in the 70s and 80s . they would bring more booze than that though. they would come back in a few hours lookin for more.... now your dealin with same peaple but now they are smashed!
Well since things have changed you might have to leave a keg of beer.
They still have lots of trouble up there.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:36 PM

I hear there is a campground near Peerless. Does anyone know the name or have any contact info?

Also, regarding the reports of theft in the area, I read that if you pack up your stuff and use the boat launch in the town you should be ok.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:17 AM

I don't recall it being much of a campground, and certainly not a maintained one. Its right of the main road between Peerless and Graham. The one at Graham is just a bit further up the road, right where the little creek is that connects the two lakes. Neither one is maintained, unless thats changed in the past few years. I've spent a fair bit of time up there and never had any problems with theft, but then I usually slipped into the smaller lakes up there, where access was poor, and we certainly didn't leave anything laying around in the open...
Old 05-25-2011, 10:49 PM

I've had trouble catching walleye in graham and round, does anyone have any advise jigging with bait doesn't seem to work
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 AM

Try trolling with a rapala in 6-9 feet of water should work wicked on Graham helps to cover water
Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 PM

I'll try that going to hebephrenic next week end have u ever been there or to gods lake
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM

Let us know if you manage to get into Hebephrenic, and how the fishing is. I want to hit it on an ice fishing trip next winter.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:49 AM

Going to Graham and peerless this week end whats the water like in the creek any one been up there yet??
Old 05-31-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul C View Post
Cheers and Happy Fishin

I just tape a garbage bag over my back window, put some "No Fear" sticky's on my truck and last but not least...i hang a dream catcher from my mirror and have never had a problem, fished that area for about 17-18 yrs now
Old 02-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Been to Peerless Graham last two years on the July 1st long week end. Fishing was great. But the lakers were long gone to deep water. The fellow at the store gave me his phone # as I plan to go back early and chase the lake trout. I lost his phone # of course, does anyone have it?
As far as the question about catching walleye in Graham goes troll a long thin floating rapala 4' off a bait walker till you find them then anchor and get after it with jigs. Don't even bother with bait if there bighting. Works for me everywhere I go until late summer.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armymike24 View Post
I hear there is a campground near Peerless. Does anyone know the name or have any contact info?

Also, regarding the reports of theft in the area, I read that if you pack up your stuff and use the boat launch in the town you should be ok.
It's not a great campground and it's usually pretty full. If you have a bigger boat you better have a good 4x4 for the boat launch. I have trouble with my lifted 1tonne sometimes. Be wary of the native they will steal anything you leave out. Lock it all up and even then sometimes that isn't enough. My uncle has fished there every year for 33 years and I for the last ten. It is either really hot or not there usually is no in between. Go first week of June so you can go in the afternoon to catch walley at graham. Laker bite is best between 1 and 3 pm. Good luck!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 08:57 AM

Default What only Natives steal?

Nice work guys way to be classy. I'm not sure if you guys know not all natives steal, not all natives are drunks there are people of all kinds white people too that steal and are drunks! So let's leave that out of the conversation. The guy asked about the ice not if there were Indians there, this is canada natives are everywhere. Good luck fishing up there.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt2oil View Post
Nice work guys way to be classy. I'm not sure if you guys know not all natives steal, not all natives are drunks there are people of all kinds white people too that steal and are drunks! So let's leave that out of the conversation. The guy asked about the ice not if there were Indians there, this is canada natives are everywhere. Good luck fishing up there.
Ya but... In a area of poverty where 90% are First Nations, and being witness to a few thefts. One can pretty much assure that it's
Not Mexicans doing the stealing...
Old 02-26-2014, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Ya but... In a area of poverty where 90% are First Nations, and being witness to a few thefts. One can pretty much assure that it's
Not Mexicans doing the stealing...
Maybe it's caucasians! Nah white people only steal land
Old 02-26-2014, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Maybe it's caucasians! Nah white people only steal land
Whoa, we traded our most precious tobaccy and firewater for that land....
Old 02-26-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Well being half native myself it would be silly of me to make fun of natives which I don't think I did. Saying that if you haven't been to peerless before like this guy obviously hasn't then it's good that he be informed if every aspect if the lake including the fact that if you leave anything out in the open it will be gone. As far as the native pride hat on the dash or the dream catcher on the mirror they are not wrong. There are many guys I know including myself that do that and so far it has worked. My uncle once had his entire camp stolen if they could have loaded up the camper they would have so anything to deter this Is useful not racist. It's just an unfortunate fact of fishing most places in the north. Real hardcore sportsmen fish in places like this so in this case the white man is not as bad as the Indian. Bull master out
Old 02-26-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
coming from a guy who steals from companys and lets teenage school girls take the fall for it.......do you want a link?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
coming from a guy who steals from companys and lets teenage school girls take the fall for it.......do you want a link?
Oh yah getting a deal now a thief eh. Post the link
Old 02-27-2014, 08:07 AM

Go to Cold Lake, less headaches more fish. Cold is alive !!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 06:19 PM

I would like to head up mid April for some ice fishing. I wonder if lake would still be safe to drive on with a pickup then? Is there any place you could stash your vehicle so nobody would find it, but still have access to the lake if you still need to sled/quad.

I just don't want to risk it even with the insurance of booze and jerry cans, etc. Even if someone stays with vehicle, they could still get mugged. Parking at this store sounds like a good idea, but then it limits you to only Peerless and no Vander of Graham.

I wonder if there are any open camps up there to sleep at. Or how far a drive it is to Red Earth Creek. Not really set up for winter camping as of yet.

Pretty pathetic that we have to worry about stuff like this living in a country called Canada.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmbreeze View Post
I would like to head up mid April for some ice fishing. I wonder if lake would still be safe to drive on with a pickup then? Is there any place you could stash your vehicle so nobody would find it, but still have access to the lake if you still need to sled/quad.

I just don't want to risk it even with the insurance of booze and jerry cans, etc. Even if someone stays with vehicle, they could still get mugged. Parking at this store sounds like a good idea, but then it limits you to only Peerless and no Vander of Graham.

I wonder if there are any open camps up there to sleep at. Or how far a drive it is to Red Earth Creek. Not really set up for winter camping as of yet.

Pretty pathetic that we have to worry about stuff like this living in a country called Canada.
If you are going up there any time of year you take the risk of stuff being stolen. There is no timeline on thievery up there. As for driving on in April I wouldn't but you will have to be the judge of that and getting from red earth to peerless will possibly be a 3 hour trip if its wet. Go to cold lake it's much easier access and more fish.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:29 PM

I want to go in April because it is still open for fishing and all the lakes around where I live will be closed. I need to fish!

In April you could still sled or quad(I would prefer) on it safely? Just asking about the norm I realize some years it can be different.

I know there is always a chance anywhere to get stolen from, I was more wondering if there are areas you could use that would have less people seeing your belongings.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warmbreeze View Post
I want to go in April because it is still open for fishing and all the lakes around where I live will be closed. I need to fish!

In April you could still sled or quad(I would prefer) on it safely? Just asking about the norm I realize some years it can be different.

I know there is always a chance anywhere to get stolen from, I was more wondering if there are areas you could use that would have less people seeing your belongings.
You should be able to still sled on. The weather seems to look like it will be cold for quite a while yet. As far as hiding your belongings or parking where someone won't see you there isn't really any where like that there. The only thing going for you would be that the natives can't get around so good in there cars when it's muddy. Myself I would just go and take your chances there's nothing like catching a giant peerless lake laker and if you get in the burbs hang on!!!!
Old 02-27-2014, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
Whoa, we traded our most precious tobaccy and firewater for that land....
glad you know what we sacraficed for those rights in the area.Thanks for fishing tips

This from the guy that reports anyone in there truck in wmu 445

keep up the fine work. hope our native land is up to your liking

Last edited by Snap Shot; 02-27-2014 at 08:55 PM.