Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-14-2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
All that is needed to throw that out of whack is a few rifle guys from each WMU go start buying bow permits....then the percentages of "bow hunters" goes up. From what I understand thats where the "numbers" come from...the sale numbers of bow hunting permits.

LC
And that's what my plan would seperate, the true bow hunters from the gun hunters that buy the bow permit because they can then chase animals with bows waiting for rifle season to start
Old 10-14-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Boone View Post
And that's what my plan would seperate, the true bow hunters from the gun hunters that buy the bow permit because they can then chase animals with bows waiting for rifle season to start
Sell your pitch to the ones in charge....not many are "buying it" here

When my Son gets old enough to bowhunt for his first year.....will he be a "true enough" bowhunter for you?.....or is he not gonna be worthy?

LC
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by true bow hunters? I belong to an archery club and practice a lot but I also like to hunt with other weapons. Are you trying to to tell me if I was a true bow hunter that I should just stick to the bow and leave the rifle season to the true rifle hunters?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckCuller View Post
My self I'm not hardcore anything I'm a bow hunter, a rifle hunter, a crossbow hunter, a muzzle loader hunter and a shot gunner. I personally could have a different weapon in my hands every day of the week depending on seasons, weather and what I feel like shooting that day. I think there is a differnt challenge for every weapon and I love them all. I don't think you should have to be a hard core bow hunter to bow hunt.
I don't think so either, just that if you decide to bowhunt a particular species. Then you can not hunt during the general season for that species.
Also if your species is general archery, you can not build priority for that species that year if you intend to bow hunt it.

Thus we would be decades before mule deer ever went to archery draw and would prob delay the moose from going to draw only as well.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think so either, just that if you decide to bowhunt a particular species. Then you can not hunt during the general season for that species.
Also if your species is general archery, you can not build priority for that species that year if you intend to bow hunt it.

Thus we would be decades before mule deer ever went to archery draw and would prob delay the moose from going to draw only as well.
Moose is draw only already in 95% of the Province....

LC
Old 10-14-2012, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Sell your pitch to the ones in charge....not many are "buying it" here

When my Son gets old enough to bowhunt for his first year.....will he be a "true enough" bowhunter for you?.....or is he not gonna be worthy?

LC
If he chooses to bowhunt then it would still be his right. But he would forfeit his rifle season that year to do so. Next season he could go rifle if he chose to.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Moose is draw only already in 95% of the Province....

LC
Southern province, def not northern province yet
Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Bowhunters or any hunters that can not see both sides of an argument are the true jokes.
Some of you guys with your whole hearted sense of entitlement is the true joke.

If you truly are as hardcore, bad to the bone bow hunters as you all pretend to be!

Then why would you not be fighting for a bow only season?
So that if you bow hunt for a particular species, then you cant hunt with any other weapon during any other season for that one species?

Maybe your only pretending to be hardcore bow hunters. And rights be known you only use the bow season waiting for boom stick to open.

I know if I was as hardcore into bowhunting as I was a fee years back, I would happily embrace a bow only season like this for 3 reasons.

1, It would eleminate 90 percent of the so called bow hunters in the woods
2, chances are most every animal would be draw free
3, it would be a lifetime before we ever saw bow draws for mule deer.

Just because you choose to hunt mule deer with a bow, would not mean you could not still apply or buy rifle tags for other species.
But you would forfeit your mule deer draw for that year if you stated you will be bowhunting mule deer that fall.

Jeez, the greed of some amazes me!
So I am a little confused. Can you please explain this to me?

You are saying that bowhunters should be happy to have a bow only season? Pretty sure there already is one.

Then you are saying if you decide to hunt mule deer with a bow then you can't hunt it with a rifle. Isn't this how it is already? Well at least for 4-5 years it is I think. So theoretically your plan is to have bowhunters declare to hunt with a bow until they have built up enough priority until they can draw a rifle tag. Isn't this exactly what we have now?

I guess I need a little more explanation as I can't see how your plan is any different than what we have now and I certainly can't see how this plan is going to help mule deer numbers.

I can see how this plan would work for species on a general tag like elk or whitetail. If you hunt elk in bow season you can't hunt them in rifle and vice versa but for the life of me I can't figure out how this helps mule deer hunting.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
If he chooses to bowhunt then it would still be his right. But he would forfeit his rifle season that year to do so. Next season he could go rifle if he chose to.
Doesn't answer my question....

Sorry but I just don't buy into your idea you feel is so stellar....

LC
Old 10-14-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by true bow hunters? I belong to an archery club and practice a lot but I also like to hunt with other weapons. Are you trying to to tell me if I was a true bow hunter that I should just stick to the bow and leave the rifle season to the true rifle hunters?
Not at all, if you choose to bowhunt then you can not rifle hunt that species that year!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 PM

This whole thing imho is a silly excuse to eliminate the a lot of the bow season for a lot of guys. With this 15% of the harvest being taken with a bow I would love to see some of those numbers. 1- what percentage of these were non-residents guided (they are generally only shooting bucks and larger ones at that) 2-what percentage of these 15% were already draws? just my perception but it seems to me many of the deer that are taken with a bow are does THAT ARE BEING TAGGED WITH THE DRAW TAG
I hunt with a number of guys in one of the zones mentioned and have been far more successful on numbers and size of deer taken with the bow I have taken primarily my doe draws over the years and a decent 4x4 whitetail and a forkhorn buck when I was 19 I believe, those are the biggest bow kills in the group for antlers... (we wait for larger ones but it either hasn't worked out or we haven't had the opportunity) don't feel sorry for us we do pretty good with the rifle I have also never seen anyone other than a guide take out a buck...
Just saying all that you're going to take away by doing this is taking away the license revenue of a number of guys just hoping for the opportunity at the big one (rarely happens) If you want to take away the number of bow kills on large bucks make it a draw for NR hunters or eliminate the licenses completely or do something kinda like sheep hunting, register a bowkill and take a year off for the guys that pound them every year (although doing that would just make people jealous when instead of chasing mules they turn their attention to some poor animal of another species that would be in a lot of trouble as these guys are successful for a reason).
Old 10-14-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Southern province, def not northern province yet
I misunderstood....I didn't realize you were talking archery only seasons.

LC
Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 PM

During the draw in June, u would have to state if you intend to hunt mule deer with a bow. And in doing so you would not enter the draw or gain priority points for that year. Unless of course u were applying for an archery mule deer draw but I think mule deer would be draw free if this was put into place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkmakemecrazy View Post
So I am a little confused. Can you please explain this to me?

You are saying that bowhunters should be happy to have a bow only season? Pretty sure there already is one.

Then you are saying if you decide to hunt mule deer with a bow then you can't hunt it with a rifle. Isn't this how it is already? Well at least for 4-5 years it is I think. So theoretically your plan is to have bowhunters declare to hunt with a bow until they have built up enough priority until they can draw a rifle tag. Isn't this exactly what we have now?

I guess I need a little more explanation as I can't see how your plan is any different than what we have now and I certainly can't see how this plan is going to help mule deer numbers.

I can see how this plan would work for species on a general tag like elk or whitetail. If you hunt elk in bow season you can't hunt them in rifle and vice versa but for the life of me I can't figure out how this helps mule deer hunting.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:12 PM

Quote:
During the draw in June, u would have to state if you intend to hunt mule deer with a bow. And in doing so you would not enter the draw or gain priority points for that year. Unless of course u were applying for an archery mule deer draw but I think mule deer would be draw free if this was put into place.
I thought with your plan there would be no archery draw....isn't that the issue??

LC
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM

Quote:
I thought with your plan there would be no archery draw....isn't that the issue??

LC
That is my plan for sure. And hopefully there wouldn't be.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dude shut up already.... You are sounding like a broken record player That has no clue on reality. Go pimp out your muzzleloader or pull out your rifle and go hunt. Rifle season has been open in lots of places for a while now.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
That is my plan for sure. And hopefully there wouldn't be.
poor you again. WOW !!!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:22 PM

I think in that case I would just leave my bow at home and put in for the rifle season just to make the true rifle hunters wait longer for a draw just like petta members.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledeerking View Post
Dude shut up already.... You are sounding like a broken record player That has no clue on reality. Go pimp out your muzzleloader or pull out your rifle and go hunt. Rifle season has been open in lots of places for a while now.
Your ignorance amazes me, and by ignorance I mean lack of knowledge.
First off you do not want mule deer on a draw, I propose a solution to keep it draw free and you tell me to shut up?

Simply amazing your arrogance, I bet you might tone it down a little if we were talking face to face!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I think in that case I would just leave my bow at home and put in for the rifle season just to make the true rifle hunters wait longer for a draw just like petta members.
That would be your choice!
One eliminated from the archery mule deer side, there would be hundreds more eleminating the need for the archery mule deer draw.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Ok that makes more sense now but I still don't see how this is going to help mule deer numbers.

I believe most people would still bowhunt mule deer every year. The opportunity is still there and the majority would think why wait for years for the opportunity to kill a mule deer when I can give it a go every year.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 PM

And it would not change the time frame to get a rifle draw which is how This whole thing started. I just hate seeing opprtunities being taken from any hunter for any species. But I guess these days self conservation is out the window along with common sense.(also referring to the needless slaughter of mule deer in the east by the incapable SRD!)
Old 10-14-2012, 11:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
That was a little uncalled for wasn't it?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Your ignorance amazes me, and by ignorance I mean lack of knowledge.
First off you do not want mule deer on a draw, I propose a solution to keep it draw free and you tell me to shut up?

Simply amazing your arrogance, I bet you might tone it down a little if we were talking face to face!
Nothing here is broken other than people keep abusing the system we have hear. You seem like you mite be from somewere else. Well if there system is so much better move there and be happy. No our herds in Alberta suck now. In early 90's herds were awesome and there were lots of deer and big deer. Now with srd and outfitters and landowner tags it leaves nothing but garbage for resident to try for a chance. So no I dont want change on bowhunters. I want land owner tags GONE first second NR tags way down or gone. Then if they prove factual evedence. No your or orthers here say. I will bite on a change. I hunt all over the provice and guided all over. So I have seen what is going on in our province. MISMANAGED is the problem...... NOT bowhunters. If that was not true I would not be a priority 6 for mule deer and still cant draw a tag in a few zones that are crawling withe deer and they give out almost nothing for tags....

Also I would be just the same if I was face to face.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Ok that makes more sense now but I still don't see how this is going to help mule deer numbers.

I believe most people would still bowhunt mule deer every year. The opportunity is still there and the majority would think why wait for years for the opportunity to kill a mule deer when I can give it a go every year.
Unfortunately you are 100% correct. This could end up being the case.
I can not dispute that!
Old 10-14-2012, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
That was a little uncalled for wasn't it?
Why is that? cause someone is all about me me me..... I hunt with both and a muzzle loader for more of a challange in a few different hunts. I aint whining about poor me. I still have seen no numbers that are 100% good enough to change a system that has been around for a long time. It also works in alot of other places just fine too.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 PM

Dboone - I'm still struggling with the whole "true bow hunter" designation. Are you sayings that because I'm new to it I'm not a true bow hunter?

Plus bow hunters as I see it aren't asking for more just not to lose what they have. The only one on here asking for MORE is YOU. You already have a season to use your muzzle, it's called the general season. Lets face it muzzle loaders are for all intents and purposes just rifles now. Their effective range being 200 yards. Why on earth do we need a muzzle loader season? Is it because you don't want to compete with the highly effective rifle hunters? If that is so why do you think reducing archery hunting would be more effective than placing more limitations on rifle hunters?

Ego - you are NOT penalized because you don't bow hunt, you are simply a guy that has an opportunity before him but instead of embracing what you "have" you are trying to takeaway from others.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6mmhunter View Post
For everyone who keeps saying you can always start bowhunting. Has it occurred to you that if everyone went out and got a bow the 15% cap would be immediately exceeded and mule deer would be on draw anyway.
Then that magic 15% would have to increase as well..20%-30%????.....can you imagine taking more rifle tags away?? Would A.O have enough bandwith to handle all the whinning.........heck mods would have to start getting paid to handle the that surge! LOL
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 PM

Bow hunters are not the only problem. Mismaagement is the largest issue in deed. Land owner tags are going no where, outfitter allocations will never decline.

I have witnessed the slaughters first hand, may have even contributed. I shot a 170 mule deer in 232 during the slaughter. I did not shoot any does or small bucks though. But looking back I wish I had no part in it at all.

Just so you know I am not a deer hunter, I hunt deer. But only shoot every 3-4 years if that.
I've been within bow range of some beautiful WT and mule deer but they needed more years before harvest. I will not shoot a mid size deer with bow just because I'm using a bow.

If I wouldn't shoot it with rifle, why shoot it with bow?
Quote:
Nothing here is broken other than people keep abusing the system we have hear. You seem like you mite be from somewere else. Well if there system is so much better move there and be happy. No our herds in Alberta suck now. In early 90's herds were awesome and there were lots of deer and big deer. Now with srd and outfitters and landowner tags it leaves nothing but garbage for resident to try for a chance. So no I dont want change on bowhunters. I want land owner tags GONE first second NR tags way down or gone. Then if they prove factual evedence. No your or orthers here say. I will bite on a change. I hunt all over the provice and guided all over. So I have seen what is going on in our province. MISMANAGED is the problem...... NOT bowhunters. If that was not true I would not be a priority 6 for mule deer and still cant draw a tag in a few zones that are crawling withe deer and they give out almost nothing for tags....
Old 10-14-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Reality is SRD is seriously discussing putting a draw in place for archery season in many WMU's. Surely that could be discussed and some members can hold opinions whether you agree with them or not.

This reminds of the crossbow in archery season threads. I'd say it is better to state opinions with some reasoning behind them instead of some of these comments.

Sooner or later bow hunters are going to have to accept being part of the game management (draw system) system. I am still on their side though until real proven numbers back up the need to bring them into the draw though. SRD, do your job and get the real numbers before acting. I like the idea of having extra opportunity with extra challenge.

Some of the arguments put forth such as pitting hunters against hunters based on weapon of choice is pretty lame though.