Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Hunting with an Atlatl

Two years ago I found out that the use of an Atlatl was legal to hunt big game with in Alberta. So, I went out that November with my "Throwing Stick" and harvested an antlerless buck at 8 yards. Yes, 8 yards. It was the best event of my hunting career. For those who don't know, an Atlatl is a narrow rod or board used to throw a narrow spear or arrow. They are extremely effective, in the hands of an experienced thrower. It's awesome!
Old 03-08-2014, 09:06 PM

Pictures?

LC
Old 03-08-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertaatlatl View Post
Two years ago I found out that the use of an Atlatl was legal to hunt big game with in Alberta. So, I went out that November with my "Throwing Stick" and harvested an antlerless buck at 8 yards. Yes, 8 yards. It was the best event of my hunting career. For those who don't know, an Atlatl is a narrow rod or board used to throw a narrow spear or arrow. They are extremely effective, in the hands of an experienced thrower. It's awesome!
yes pics as well...btw, do you have a grey toyota truck with a n atl atl sticker in the window

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 03-08-2014, 09:23 PM

Welcome to AO.

Sorry to hear that the ABA wants to ban your hunting weapon of choice to appease some possible future criticism.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Welcome to AO.

Sorry to hear that the ABA wants to ban your hunting weapon of choice to appease some possible future criticism.

I think it is a dandy of a first post!

I want to see the deer that the OP harvested and a pic of his atlatl I have never seen one....

LC
Old 03-08-2014, 10:42 PM

Yup pics would be grand!
That is just too cool for school!
Cat
Old 03-08-2014, 10:51 PM

Default Atlatl

What a great accomplishment to kill a deer with a tool that predates the bow and arrow by 5000 years.

Too bad Brent Watson, has decided to throw the spear chuckers under the bus because someone might see a video of a hunt and think its unsavory. I've seen many unsavory hunting videos with all hunting tools from bows, to muzzleloaders to rifles. No matter the tool that's used, if the hunter exceeds his practical range things can go bad fast.

In the province of Alberta there has never been a case of someone being charged with poaching with a spear. Imagine that? I'd suggest that hunting with a spear or Atlatl and dart takes the most skill of all hunting methods.

The spear chuckers will never have large enough numbers to harm our game populations so why not let them wander around trying to close the deal. I'd thing that a dedicated spear hunter could only get an animal every few years.

So why is Brent Watson trying to destroy how these guys hunt? And more to the point did the ABA vote on this or is it Brent's idea only. What I've surmised is that Brent has decided on his own that he can make these decisions and that doesn't sit well with me. What's next, will he decide that traditional bowhunters aren't effective enough because we can't hunt at 60 yards? Maybe we should be banned too, maybe the flintlocks should be banned because someone might make a video in the future that paints them in a bad light.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
What a great accomplishment to kill a deer with a tool that predates the bow and arrow by 5000 years.

Too bad Brent Watson, has decided to throw the spear chuckers under the bus because someone might see a video of a hunt and think its unsavory. I've seen many unsavory hunting videos with all hunting tools from bows, to muzzleloaders to rifles. No matter the tool that's used, if the hunter exceeds his practical range things can go bad fast.

In the province of Alberta there has never been a case of someone being charged with poaching with a spear. Imagine that? I'd suggest that hunting with a spear or Atlatl and dart takes the most skill of all hunting methods.

The spear chuckers will never have large enough numbers to harm our game populations so why not let them wander around trying to close the deal. I'd thing that a dedicated spear hunter could only get an animal every few years.

So why is Brent Watson trying to destroy how these guys hunt? And more to the point did the ABA vote on this or is it Brent's idea only. What I've surmised is that Brent has decided on his own that he can make these decisions and that doesn't sit well with me. What's next, will he decide that traditional bowhunters aren't effective enough because we can't hunt at 60 yards? Maybe we should be banned too, maybe the flintlocks should be banned because someone might make a video in the future that paints them in a bad light.
People who always want to Ban things they don't like or understand are the weakest members of society.
Old 03-09-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
People who always want to Ban things they don't like or understand are the weakest members of society.
Problem is, there are getting to be more and more of them. Pick something, anything and there are a bunch on the fringes of society who want to ban it. Always wonder, why do these people get so much credibility ?

Grizz
Old 03-09-2014, 10:52 AM

No, the problem is we don't have any pics yet!

I didn't realize there was open water already.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
WTG, pics and a detailed story?

"Welcome to AO.

Sorry to hear that the ABA wants to ban your hunting weapon of choice to appease some possible future criticism. "

Or is this just another attempt rehash old threads.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:49 AM

Be interesting to see if the OP returns with more of the story or not.

LC
Old 03-09-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
Welcome to AO.

Maybe the ABA has learned something from Putin. Create some artificial controversy with posts like this, get everyone going, then step in and say "see? This is a raging controversy that must be controlled!"
Old 03-09-2014, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Maybe the ABA has learned something from Putin. Create some artificial controversy with posts like this, get everyone going, then step in and say "see? This is a raging controversy that must be controlled!"
Lol.

Would be nice to hear a response and a story.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Hunting as in recreation, has a following. Hunting as in a career? Is trolling occupation or recreation?
Old 03-09-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Be interesting to see if the OP returns with more of the story or not.

LC
Not likely.............
Old 03-09-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehntr View Post
Hunting as in recreation, has a following. Hunting as in a career? Is trolling occupation or recreation?
Lots of people say "hunting career" or "fishing career"... don't read too much into it.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post

I'm curious about this stance of the ABA as well . If it was voted on by membership , I know as a member that I never got a vote . I'm sure WB can fill us in .
Old 03-09-2014, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I'm curious about this stance of the ABA as well . If it was voted on by membership , I know as a member that I never got a vote . I'm sure WB can fill us in .
I don't know who all got to vote on this in the ABA but I do know it was not a unanimous decision.

LC
Old 03-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Yep! Grey Toyota with the Atlatl sticker.You bet!!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:30 PM

Default Hunting in Alberta with an Atlatl

I've got some pics coming, just figuring how to post them. The use of the Atlatl is something that requires a dedication to practise, as should all forms of hunting! I watched a video of a seven, yes SEVEN, year old boy harvest a whitetail. Check it out! It's AWESOME! My hunt took place on a fridgid November morning. I waited till legal light, laying on a side hill in full winter camo! About 1/2 hour later a war zone of rifle explosions broke out. I was thinking this is CRAZY! I'm going to get shot. So, I rose up and headed back to the truck. About 30 yards from where I laid down, I came across my deer. He looked at me and didn't move. I thought, OKAY HERE GOES!! My dart sailed trough the air and double lunged him. He only went about 30 yards or so, and fell. I was beyond amazed! My six foot dart had passed five feet through him! Man, I am hooked!! I'd recommend any hunter looking for more excitement to give this a try! You too will be hooked!!
Old 03-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Banned

Awesome.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:18 PM

Hey AlbertaAtlatl, good to see you here.

Just taking a guess here, considering your interest in Primitive archery I suspect you might not be up to speed on using the internet.

Rather than slag ya for not being High tech, how can I help?

Looking forward to seeing some pictures of your hunting tools.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 03-09-2014, 10:58 PM

Wow! Here is one of the pics!
Old 03-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Well done! That's pretty cool. How did you get into that? Did you make it or pick it up somewhere.

LC
Old 03-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Banned

Hey, good for you man! This thread had troll written all over it so I didn't comment.....A picture doesn't lie though. Are you going to continue hunting with it and what type of animals will you hunt?

BTW, I hope that you know that since it's now public knowledge that you hunt with an atlatl. you can expect a visit from a couple of ABA guys wearing trench coats and wearing dark sunglasses.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:16 AM

Cool! Good for you.
That would be something to try.

Some time ago I watched a survival show, I think it was on Discovery Channel, in which a group of people were supposed to live like early 'man' and the people in it were given atlatls. It was interesting to watch as they practiced; women actually picked the skill up quicker than the men did. When they were confident enough they went out and tried to 'bag' an elk. After a few tries they did manage to get one. That elk didn't go far before expiring, and the 'tribe' was ecstatic about getting some real meat to eat.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:08 AM

The dicovery channel was "I Caveman". The fello cast a dart at 40 yards and took a huge bull Elk. That's when I was convinced theses were lethal. My search for the egality of hunting here started with that episode. I know the man who was there, Billy Berger is his name. Check him out.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:11 AM

Congratulations!
This needs to be presented to all those AB people who want to ban spears because THEY don't think it's "right or ethical"!
Cat
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 AM

I was at a primitive archery shoot in Big Valley, when I saw someone throwing a seven foot arrow. Naturally I had to see this, and my fascination with the Atlatl was born. I make several different styles of Atlatls. That one shown is my favorite. It's 28 inches long and REAL EASY to use. I'll post some pics later on of a couple other Atlatls.