Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-10-2008, 03:59 PM

Fair enough. Regards, Mike
Old 01-10-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Picking sides

Firstly Sheep, I appreciate all that you brought to this discussion, as I am much more informed than before, (thx for the pms).
This brings up the interesting topic and questions.

If I support RAMP for the right reasons as a landowner, am I percieved as anti hunting and a moneygrabber?

If as a hunter I support HFH for the anticipated benefits am I a holier than thou trophy hunter and against free access?

As a member of a AFGA does not supporting these pilkots brand me as antagonistic to the conservation/stewardship ethic of landowners?

I can see how anyone connected with wildlife is put into very interested camps on the issue and in some cases in a lose/lose situation.

For example what about the 2-3 landowners in 300 that are on the boundary of Waterton and allow access, they theoretically are infringing on the opportunities of the HFHtag purchasers, as the elk move very freely. What will the HFH neighbors think?

It is not a black and white, this issue, and anyone who thinks that we live in some utopian equalitarian world is missing the point.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:49 AM

Default The Economics of Antlers

Regardless of the spin, the HFH and RAMP (to a lesser degree) proposals are all about paid hunting. When the Province allows a market value to be attached to a big game animal and subsequently gives landowners the right to be compensated for “quality” hunting opportunities it’s only logical that the same will treat our wildlife resources as an investment.

How does the shrewd “businessperson” maximize their return on investment? Well, under these proposals, and the HFH in particular, you ensure your portfolio contains or attracts large amounts of high quality (big antlered) draw animals. Logically, failure to attract or sustain large numbers of quality draw animals will decrease hunter interest in a particular property negatively affecting revenue whether it be through tags or access.

With these sorts of portfolio management challenges, it would not be too large a stretch to compare participating HFH units with game farms, albeit, low-fenced (for the time being anyway) game farms. If landowners are given the responsibility of “managing” game then they must also accept the responsibility and accountability that follows.

Concentrating deer and elk in game farms, or by “artificial” feeding, likely increases the probability of both direct and indirect transmission between individual animals. The Chronic Wasting Disease Alliance notes that contaminated pastures appear to have served as sources of infection in some CWD epidemics.

If we allow or recognize proposals such as HFH and RAMP, shouldn’t we also be very concerned with the management practices of participating landowners? Who decides what or what not a property owner can do on their private land when we have charged them with the management and responsibility of an occupying public resource? What are the consequences of such actions and who should be held accountable when these actions are contrary to the public interest? Is it possible that the HFH units of today could become the game farms of tomorrow? Regards, Mike
Old 01-17-2008, 11:30 AM

I can't help but wonder if this thought process is shared by this whole group of guys based out of the U of C.

Quote:
This is not simply a question
of morality, which Flanagan freely ignores
to substantiate his conclusion
that agricultural societies have a fundamental
right to deprive hunter-collector
populations of their land base.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:44 PM

http://www.globaltv.com/globaltv/edm...tml?id=1447197

finally made the news...

i emailed my MLA... Find yours: http://streetkey.elections.ab.ca/skSearchPostal.cfm

Last edited by thundergrey; 03-31-2009 at 04:27 PM.