Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-19-2024, 03:13 PM

Default Cleaning Grout on Tile Floors

I thought I would share on this topic, since sooner or later everyone will need to deal with cleaning grout, whether it be in bathroom shower/tub, or on floors.

I built my house bottom to top in 2008, and I have a lot of tile, maybe 2000 square feet all in. The grout was all sealed, but after raising 5 kids, several dogs, and generally living in my house, the grout was looking pretty bad in high traffic areas. It was initially a very light sand color, and was stained quite dark. Grout is porous, it *will* stain after 15 years. I installed tile over Ditra Mat, so I have no broken tiles, and grout is 99% intact, just a few minor chips.

I did some research online, and steam cleaning seemed to be the most recommended way to get grout cleaned and sanitized. So, I bought a fairly inexpensive steam cleaning unit off Amazon, like $120 all in (on sale). It came with multiple different attachments and brushes. And man, does it ever work!

I'm taking my time on it, doing maybe 50 square feet a day is all. That's what one tank will do, and after that my knees and back have had enough. It's a winter project, but I am *really* pleased at how effective the steam is at deep cleaning that grout. No, it doesn't look like brand new. Yes, it removes 90-100% of staining, depending on how high traffic the area.

When I'm done, I will do a few grout repairs, and seal it all again, and it should be good for another 10 or 15 years. It is by far the easiest and most effective way to clean grout I have tried. As a bonus, the steamer has attachments for cleaning fabric like upholstery as well, and It will work excellent for deep cleaning and detailing a vehicle, vinyl, carpet and all.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-19-2024 at 03:21 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:19 PM

On Amazon you can get mapei grout refresh. It’ works great to make your grout look better than new. Goes on quick and then a coat of sealer and you’ll be good for another 15 years.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfalls View Post
On Amazon you can get mapei grout refresh. It’ works great to make your grout look better than new. Goes on quick and then a coat of sealer and you’ll be good for another 15 years.
Yes, I thought about that route to refinish as well, but you really don't want to put that over grout without giving it a really good deep clean first. At least I wouldn't. After reading mixed reviews on it, I'm going to stick with steam cleaning.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-19-2024 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:44 PM

Thanks a ton, TC. I have been looking at doing mine too yet a wire toothbrush seemed like a bunch of work. Ha. I'm going to give this a whirl.

Good luck tomorrow night *wink*
Old 01-19-2024, 05:03 PM

The wife bought Zep grout cleaner and uses a toothbrush to clean the grout.

Worked pretty damn good.

Like you said it’s very tedious and can only do so much at a time before going crazy
Old 01-19-2024, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
The wife bought Zep grout cleaner and uses a toothbrush to clean the grout.

Worked pretty damn good.

Like you said it’s very tedious and can only do so much at a time before going crazy
Just thinking out loud, would a soft wire or buffing pad mounted on a side grinder be an option ?

Isaiah 5:8
Old 01-19-2024, 06:16 PM

If you want to remove grout, and have to re-grout the floor, yeah, that grinder would work.

The zep product works, but not nearly as fast or as thorough as the steamer. Also, steamer doesn't require any hard brushing.

Old 01-20-2024, 03:05 PM

With the steamer is there a wait time before resealing? Do you still use a kind of bristle brush and a rag or just a clean rag? I should be doing mine also. The tile on my floors are not small, 19 1/2 X 19 1/2. I do have a small steamer, some sealer and the little bottle with the brush to apply the sealer already, so that's a start.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:07 PM

You need to wait 24 hours after steaming so grout is dry. The steamer has a nylon brush attachment for light scrubbing, then wipe up moisture with rag after. The sealer applicator bottle has a foam brush tip. My tile thankfully are also large, 20x20".

Last edited by Twisted Canuck; 01-20-2024 at 03:52 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
You need to wait 24 hours after steaming so grout is dry. The applicator bottle has a foam brush tip.
Thanks, Twisted Canuck
Old 01-20-2024, 03:42 PM

This thread reminds me that I need to seal the grout on the tile in my shower. I haven’t done it in 5 years and not sure if the previous owners did or not.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:31 AM

Little update here. Just about finished steaming it all, almost ready to seal it. There were really stubborn stains in kitchen and high traffic areas. I hit on the best method to clean. I would steam a joint, hit it with Zep Oxy clean stain remover (I happened to have bottle here, so I decided to experiment), use a nylon brush on it, and then steam it hard again. Amazing how it takes out deep stains. But man, what a lot of tedious work on your hands and knees!!

Old 02-17-2024, 10:29 AM

So when steaming, do you have to wear appropriate clothing because of the heat, moisture, and sweat? I'm picturing something like a sumo outfit? With knee pads?

In all seriousness, this thread reminds me that I should reseal the tiles in our upstairs bathroom. I'm thankful that we don't have the square footage that you had to deal with TC. You're on the home stretch. I bet you'll be glad when this project is completed.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2024, 10:58 AM

TC, getting psyched to clean tile...

Old 02-17-2024, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
TC, getting psyched to clean tile...

That was my vision

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2024, 08:22 AM

I've used a solution of scalding hot water, vinegar and baking soda with a tooth brush.
Took my grout from the black and dirt filled, back to the shining white that it was originally.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:10 AM

Yay!! Grout is cleaned, sealer going on today already! My tile guy recommended this, supposed to be good stuff, but Lordy! It costs as much as a decent bottle of Scotch! But, after the hours and hours I spent on my hands and knees steaming and scrubbing, I don't want to have to do it again for at least another 10 or 15 years. My goodness. Tedious.