Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-13-2008, 09:34 PM

Question what disease?? pike tumor?

Hey all, I was thinking of sending this pic to Alberta wildlife.....does anyone know what it is? I know fish can get cancer etc......or maybe its just an infected bite...weird gross!!

anyone know what it is? he was undersized and released.

Jen

out of Wizard Lake
Attached Images
File Type: jpg grosspike2.jpg (114.6 KB, 259 views)
File Type: jpg grosspike1.jpg (113.1 KB, 274 views)
Old 01-13-2008, 11:26 PM

Default Pike mess

I dont know what that is.... I caught one alot similar a few days ago but worse.... it was about 8 pounds and was one of the most discusting things I have ever seen

It almost looks like it was attacked by another fish and new skin is trying to form over guts that were hanging out I let that one go

Barbwire
Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 AM
Banned

I Think l,d leave them on the ice for the coyotes and mags , if it is a fish disease no sense letting them spread it around .
Old 01-14-2008, 03:52 AM

your absolutly right barbwire its the result of a bad bite i had the exact same thing on a pike in devils lake last year i took it to fish and wildlife the took and let me know a week later

and bud that kind of advice can get someone that didnt know better you can was game fish so any concerns about the quality cantact the closest f&w
Old 01-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandslamer View Post
your absolutly right barbwire its the result of a bad bite i had the exact same thing on a pike in devils lake last year i took it to fish and wildlife the took and let me know a week later

and bud that kind of advice can get someone that didnt know better you can was game fish so any concerns about the quality cantact the closest f&w
BAHHH , Wheres them Penguins , this time l,m on the right , haaaaa.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Banned

Default ugh

u sould of tossed that pike into the bushes.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
Banned

Default Unreal.

Huge 20 lb plus pike dont do the spawning anyway , its the 5 pounders that do most of it , them Grannys just cruise and eat everything in sight , and lots of it............BUD
Just curious as to where you get your information, BUD.........maybe I will fill you in on some "facts" so you won't post any more false information.
First of all..........huge, 20 lb plus pike are your major spawners. Males rarely, if ever, get that large. Those are all the mature females, some of which can be 25+ years old.......especially the farther north you go.
Second.....them "grannys" don't just cruise and eat everything in sight. They are hugely territorial, the biggest fish claiming the best territory (that is cover, optimal water temp, availiability/access to food). Rarely do those big ones ever have to venture out of their territory, let alone "cruise around".
Third.....it has also been proven that a smaller predatory fish (pike, in this case, BUD) will do more damage to another species population than a larger one. The big ones tend to eat a bigger meal, less often. A 20+ pounder might eat a 5 lb walleye, but a 10 pounder will eat samller walleye, more often, thus never allowing the walleye to reach any size. It is also proven that walleye are not a pikes favorite meal........if given a choice (like in most of the lakes in Alberta), pike prefer the "soft-finned" species (carp, burbot, whitefish) and will actually pass up walleye for one of these.
Oh, by the way, this isn't up for debate or "just my opinion"........these are facts taught by a professor at Lakeland College. Maybe he's wrong though..............lol.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM

thanks for setting things straight there Bobby, reading down through this thread I was hoping someone would call that BS that Bud was throwing out there. Unbelieveable that someone would write information down that has absolutley no truth. People should put back big pike unless you're keeping one for a mount, to sustain our fisheries.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbypetrolia View Post
Huge 20 lb plus pike dont do the spawning anyway , its the 5 pounders that do most of it , them Grannys just cruise and eat everything in sight , and lots of it............BUD
Just curious as to where you get your information, BUD.........maybe I will fill you in on some "facts" so you won't post any more false information.
First of all..........huge, 20 lb plus pike are your major spawners. Males rarely, if ever, get that large. Those are all the mature females, some of which can be 25+ years old.......especially the farther north you go.
Second.....them "grannys" don't just cruise and eat everything in sight. They are hugely territorial, the biggest fish claiming the best territory (that is cover, optimal water temp, availiability/access to food). Rarely do those big ones ever have to venture out of their territory, let alone "cruise around".
Third.....it has also been proven that a smaller predatory fish (pike, in this case, BUD) will do more damage to another species population than a larger one. The big ones tend to eat a bigger meal, less often. A 20+ pounder might eat a 5 lb walleye, but a 10 pounder will eat samller walleye, more often, thus never allowing the walleye to reach any size. It is also proven that walleye are not a pikes favorite meal........if given a choice (like in most of the lakes in Alberta), pike prefer the "soft-finned" species (carp, burbot, whitefish) and will actually pass up walleye for one of these.
Oh, by the way, this isn't up for debate or "just my opinion"........these are facts taught by a professor at Lakeland College. Maybe he's wrong though..............lol.
YUP , hes wrong , the MONSTER 20 lb plus grannys dont spawn ,FACT.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 AM

I have caught many 20+ plus pike in spawning condition not sure where your facts are coming from but in many southern waterbodies 20+ pike are not often past prime spawning age........
Old 01-15-2008, 12:18 PM

I my self would release the fish, If it does not survive the disease then there are bald eagles and other animals around that will clean them up.

As for the debate on spawning age for the pike hope this site helps:

http://wonderclub.com/Wildlife/fish/...37;20pike.html

Last edited by chuck0039; 01-15-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:45 PM

Thanks for trying to explain to a not smart about large fish spawning Bobby.
Reading many post here and you get an arm chair Biologist flipping crop from their lips gets pretty annoying at times and it is great for people that know something to share his or her knowledge with the board members. Why eat a 20 pound old fish when you can enjoy a nice tasty firm young fish, and to get a mount done what is wrong with a replica ? I wish more people that fish and hunt would join conservation groups to learn more about fish and all other game. ACA has lots of fun fish related projects one can help out with, SRD has volunteer opportunities, AFGA, S***A, AHEIA all these organizations teach and encourage volunteer activities and their is so much to learn.

I would love to met Bud on the river or lake and he can visit the bush's and the magpies and coyotes can have a manure sandwich.

The law says you cannot leave game meat spoil if you want to toss fish you should not be out fishing.

Like dick weeds that toss good eating sucker fish.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:27 AM

Default 20 lb + pike don't spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
YUP , hes wrong , the MONSTER 20 lb plus grannys dont spawn ,FACT.
BULLS**T.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
BULLS**T.
Go to Google . type in spawning age for pike , then say its bull crap.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM

Bud the spawning age in Northern climates (re: ALberta) is posted above. Northern Pike generally spawn throughout their life cycle up to and including fish 20+ years of age in Alberta (Freshwater fishes of Canada). Fish up to 24 years of age were reported in from Alberta (Freshwater Fishes of Canada). The biology of fish changes markedly from southern to northern latitudes. Egg numbers increase with the size of the female with estimates of 9000/lb of fish. (Freshwater Fishes of Canada). While they may begin spawning at seven (Alberta) the larger older fish produce the most eggs and these fish are more generally in the 10-12 year age class (personal observations from sampled females).

Bud - could you please provide one reference to Pike halting spawning activities after a certain age, I have been unable to find even a single reference.

While fish occasionally skip a spawning cycle (rest) it can happen throughout their life and is most often intermittent.