Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Nationwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
I agree jrs, Just cause a pike has a growth on it doesnt mean it has the plague an is gonna destroy the lake. No fish deserves to be tossed into the bushes.

Barbwire
I have to agree just cut off the bad parts add some salt pepper some lemon and have at her why waste.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:49 PM

barbwire pictures sure remind me of seeing lake trout with lamprey wounds from lake superior growing up.
I know its pretty impossible for lamprey to be here, but the circular wound with teeth marks all going the same way with a middle gash are all the signs of it.
Really weird, would like to know what FW say.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/cen...field/06_e.htm
Old 01-15-2008, 09:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
This does not make any sense at all, if the walleye limit is zero, that means no retention of walleye is allowed. This also in turn means that the walleye will stunt themselves, if no retention is allowed..therefore the big pike are needed to keep the walleye populations in healthy (non stunted) numbers.

I cant believe I just read such a stupid statement, idiots these days...

Bud, please use your brain for half a second next time before you make such an uneducated post.

Well you boys can call me all the names you like but what l posted was an absolute fact,AND STILL IS.

THE MAIN SPAWNERS OF PIKE ARE THE 2 AND 3 YEAR OLDS 90% ,20 T0 24 IN , WHY DO YOU THINK THE F.W WON,T LET YOU KEEP ANYTHING UNDER 24 IN.
THE AGE OF A PIKE IS A MAXIMUM 12 YEAR OLD , 25 YEARS OLD IS UNHEARD OF AS ONE OF YOU HAD SAID , HAAAA , HOGWASH.
DID YOUR MOMMYS STILL HAVE SEX WHEN THEY WERE 70 YEARS OLD ?
NEITHER DO THE OLD GRANNY PIKE ,NOW YOU ARE EDUCATED.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:23 PM
TundraBuck

Nasty, but like Nationwide said why waste it.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraBuck View Post
Nasty, but like Nationwide said why waste it.
Not wasted , coyotes love fish , so do weasels , magpies , crows ,foxes ,mice etc and on , l,m feeding the food chain and maybe stopping the spread of a fish disease by giving it to the bushes.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:33 PM

What are you smoking BUD, give your head a shake..... The large fish ARE the spawning females

Show me one link off the net where you can back up your rediculous theory
Old 01-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Bud I think you need to spend some serious time with a biologist, have you read anything that has been posted? Take a quick read of any scientific article on Northern pike or Fishes of Canada.

As for throwing them in the bush please try reading the article I linked earlier they pose no threat to other fish and most often recover fully

Quote:
Northern pike in Northern Alberta also
take a few years longer to mature than those in warmer
climates; it takes about five years for males and seven for
females in the north, versus three years for males and four for
females in southern latitudes.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:58 PM

Just for Bud:
In common with most coarse fish, pike have a normal 'growing span' of 12-15 years only. Ageing from scale reading will 'under-age' old pike which have ceased growth because no growth checks will be recorded on the scales.

Anglers observations have shown that pike do not all die once growth ceases; we know that some fish can live on well into their 20s and possibly older. For example one fish which was tagged at a weight of 16.75lbs and with a length of 36.5in was aged at 14 years. Six years later it was re-caught weighing and measuring exactly the same! Pike are known to live to a maximum of fifty years.

Bud does have a point in that the greatest number of fish in the population that are sexually mature will be medium sized. Giant, old females are just not that common.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:06 PM

Those giant old fish though are still often capable of spawning and produce large numbers of eggs in relation to body size. I have marked/recaptured 100s of large (20# plus) pike in Manitoba and can't recall more than one or two that were not producing eggs in the spring. Some of these larger old fish were aged (cliethrum) when mortality occured at over 20 years of age as well.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

I added my 2 cents......and was going to leave it at that, but I can't help myself. Are there actually people out there that believe what BUD is spewing?

Just another comment, BUD.......I haven't spoken to my grandmother since christmas, so I am not sure if she is "still breeding" or not. Topic didn't really come up around the dining room table either.

There are several good books on pike out there BUD; InFisherman has a good one....its called 'PIKE'. Can you remember that? If not, jot it down and go to Wholesale and pick one up. May I suggest you read it (don't just cheat and look at the pictures) and then continue your posts.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:27 AM

Default 20 lb + pike don't spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
YUP , hes wrong , the MONSTER 20 lb plus grannys dont spawn ,FACT.
BULLS**T.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippy View Post
BULLS**T.
Go to Google . type in spawning age for pike , then say its bull crap.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:02 AM

Bud the spawning age in Northern climates (re: ALberta) is posted above. Northern Pike generally spawn throughout their life cycle up to and including fish 20+ years of age in Alberta (Freshwater fishes of Canada). Fish up to 24 years of age were reported in from Alberta (Freshwater Fishes of Canada). The biology of fish changes markedly from southern to northern latitudes. Egg numbers increase with the size of the female with estimates of 9000/lb of fish. (Freshwater Fishes of Canada). While they may begin spawning at seven (Alberta) the larger older fish produce the most eggs and these fish are more generally in the 10-12 year age class (personal observations from sampled females).

Bud - could you please provide one reference to Pike halting spawning activities after a certain age, I have been unable to find even a single reference.

While fish occasionally skip a spawning cycle (rest) it can happen throughout their life and is most often intermittent.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:18 AM

Bud this is the internet you cant belive anything you see. Post up a study done or a credited biologist in this field that backs up what your saying with facts and studies then you might have a leg to stand on. So far there are a few guys who have posted who are in this field. Alot more belivable than some guy trying to start a fight.

Put the crack pipe down and give your head a shake. The 24"'s are males so obviously they dont lay eggs DER.

To everyone else Please Dont Feed the Troll
Old 01-16-2008, 09:29 AM

Old 01-16-2008, 09:30 AM

Back to the tumor issue I copied the text below from the link I provided earlier on "Skin Tumors of Fishes in Alberta" provided by SRD

Public Significance
Although the viruses themselves are not
harmfull to people and there is no evidence of a
link between fish tumours and cancer in
humans, it is probobly not appropriate to eat
affected fish or feed them to pets. Affected
fish should be released unharmed. They do not
pose a threat to other fish and do not affect
the number of future tumours in a lake.

Affected fish usually survive infection and
show no signs of the previous tumours

Prevention/Control
Tumour viruses are a natural component of
watersheds around the world. Currently there
are no control methods in place nor are any
warranted for these viruses in wild
populations

Killing these fish, is just that killing them for no reason...........
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM
gopherslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUD View Post
Well you boys can call me all the names you like but what l posted was an absolute fact,AND STILL IS.

THE MAIN SPAWNERS OF PIKE ARE THE 2 AND 3 YEAR OLDS 90% ,20 T0 24 IN , WHY DO YOU THINK THE F.W WON,T LET YOU KEEP ANYTHING UNDER 24 IN.
THE AGE OF A PIKE IS A MAXIMUM 12 YEAR OLD , 25 YEARS OLD IS UNHEARD OF AS ONE OF YOU HAD SAID , HAAAA , HOGWASH.
NEITHER DO THE OLD GRANNY PIKE ,NOW YOU ARE EDUCATED.
resorting to "yelling" does not make your point any better, or anymore right.

BTW...seniors seem to have just as much sex as young people

Only about 5 percent of those 60 and older believe that sex should be left to the young, according to researchers for AARP, the nation's largest lobbying group for older people. About 85 percent of this age group has some sort of intimate experience once a week, including kissing or intercourse. The AARP poll of 1,682 people older than 45 had a margin of error of plus or minus 2.4 percentage points.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:27 AM

"THE MAIN SPAWNERS OF PIKE ARE THE 2 AND 3 YEAR OLDS 90% ,20 T0 24 IN , WHY DO YOU THINK THE F.W WON,T LET YOU KEEP ANYTHING UNDER 24 IN.
NEITHER DO THE OLD GRANNY PIKE ,NOW YOU ARE EDUCATED."

So fish are the same as humans now?

"Go to Google . type in spawning age for pike , then say its bull crap."

Everything you read on the internet must be true. I just keep in mind that people like YOU post all over the internet. Where you are quoting google, your peers are quoting Universities... You need at least one reputable reference or can it.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izumi View Post
"THE MAIN SPAWNERS OF PIKE ARE THE 2 AND 3 YEAR OLDS 90% ,20 T0 24 IN , WHY DO YOU THINK THE F.W WON,T LET YOU KEEP ANYTHING UNDER 24 IN.
NEITHER DO THE OLD GRANNY PIKE ,NOW YOU ARE EDUCATED."

So fish are the same as humans now?

"Go to Google . type in spawning age for pike , then say its bull crap."

Everything you read on the internet must be true. I just keep in mind that people like YOU post all over the internet. Where you are quoting google, your peers are quoting Universities... You need at least one reputable reference or can it.
IS THAT YOU BOB ? HAaaaa
Old 01-17-2008, 08:02 AM

Bud you should learn how to read the information on the link you suggest.

Like most post here Bud is only yanking your chain and getting everyone riled up.

Like some of you posted that Biologist do read these post and do not speak out since they do not want to fight with not smarts so the sit back and laugh.

Plus Conservation Officers frequent these forums and message boards.

More people read these forums then you think so if you think it is only people looking for hits and help their are law makes and Bios and Techs that read the forums to and have a laugh.

If you have real concerns you can go it the SRD site Sustainable Resource Development web site and email them and ask them the question instead of asking us, we give scientific answers and you tell us we do not know what we are talking about.

That is why SRD has a web site to help you if you have a question...and no there are no stupid questions, someone my say that is a stupid question since they may know the answer...in my class's I stress to my students that their is no such thing as a stupid question since you are here to learn and I am here to help you learn so any question is a good question.

But with Bud he just wants to fight we do have many people like Bud so do not get to worked up since he is one person that that loves to argue.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:36 AM

Im gonna get it for this but if we catch a diseased fish that doesnt look very edible it wont get thrown back will feed the farm cats or dispose of it somewhere else. Now if its a old net mark or a bite from another fish then maybe.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

Default hmm

Just like to point this out on alot of lakes 20-24 inch fish are the main spawner because everything else is kept.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:43 AM

Happy Perch Fisher you hit the nail on the head.

Most anglers want to take home the big girl and leave the young fish to replace them.

You guys can do as you please it is your fishery you are playing with, you think you know best then keep all the fish you want to eat or hang from the wall I know I have 3 paintings of the fish I caught 2 brook trout paintings and 1 cutty. I do want to get a replica of my 32 in Bow River Brown. Then if I have any money left I would love to get a replica of my 30 pound plus Alberta pike.
Old 01-17-2008, 10:47 AM

Nothing better then a fresh pike fish fry with 0 bones we have it once a week in the winter. Picture wouldnt taste very good. Will be out to mcgregor and badger this weekend
Old 01-17-2008, 10:48 AM

LOL this thread is getting amusing ,
I am sorry to say that but I would toss that fish in the bush as well or simply incinerate it,
I mean yes if the fish just has an ulcer or some damage to the surface skin layer yes it could be released and become a food source for other fish if it expires... , but what if the sore its some kind of infective desease and the fish that eats it will transfers the desease to other fish and so on and on,
I mean there is some margin of risk there, would you keep raising cows with BSI ??? or turn it into a feed ??? no , BSI problem can occur to different species as equal as to cows... and now some guys say yep just bring it to F&W and they will look at the problem involving their biologists... , what a joke
do you seriously think they're gonna run numerous tests to determine what the sore is ?? if you think so you're simply very naive... I had once reported perch with what looked like tape worm, those guys didn't even know what I was talking about, I asked could I clean the fish out and still consume it ?? well sir I don't know hmm let me think , hmm let me pick a flower and pull all the petals off "yes/no yes/no" to determine my answer, it was a joke that guy I spoke to, he didn't even bother, then I asked well if I am not supposed to eat that fish would that be possible to post some signs like - DO NOT CONSUME THE FISH FROM THIS LAKE
well nothing ever happend to that report, usually tape worm will sit inside the intestine and sometimes out in the flesh, this tape worm was inside the gut outside the intestines and 7 out of 11 fish had it...
The next weekend I went to that lake and seen numerous people keeping the perch...
This is my story, based on my own experience with F&W....
Regarding the topic I would insist on removing that fish from the food chain simply as a precaution....

Once the fish is being droped off at F&W I simply think their examination is based on observation rather than any actual test....

Now regarding the spawning age I can not add anything to it other than what had already been said.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:51 AM
jrs

Morph1,
The large tapeworms in the body cavities of perch can not infect humans, there is only one larvae present in Alberta which may be rarely present in large perch that would be of concern. They wouldn't investigate it as it poses no harm to people, in the pike case this post started about, it poses no health risk and will not spread like BSE. Read the entire post. If Fish and
Wildlife sees evidence of a fish disease that will impact the population or harm people they would react, no reason to in the situations you described. Most of the perch i caught last time out were full of those things. Do some research, refer to Nelson and Paetz 1970 (Fishes of Alberta 1st addition) for the parasite info.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:44 PM

JRS If you release the fish how would F&W know what it had and if its the start of some disease?
Old 01-17-2008, 02:05 PM

JRS , I also did some research on the tape worm parasite, imagine that one of those lays 1000's of eggs each day now if you cut fish open and have any kind of open wound on your hands, you get the parasite as well, now if you have forgotten to wash your hands properly use a cloth to wipe them, now your kid or anyone in your familly picks up the cloth and use it in any manner you spread the eggs and your fam ends up with the parasites as well.

Tape worm in fish can be quite harmfull to humans, some people live with the parasite for years not knowing they have it and their health just deteriorates with time... If you have it for far too long you can even die from organ failure.

So I don't see how safe it is to even handle fish with parasite not even concidering consumption...
I mean from just observing a BSE you would not even think how fatal can that be when consumed in any way... regardless cooking, preping and all that.

The fish shown in the photos in the begining of the thread looks aweful,
from the initial look yes it looks like some sort of ulcer but this is just a speculation.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:37 PM

Default Arnie says

It's Not A Tumor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 03:52 PM
jrs

Morph,
Like fish or animals there are many different species of tapeworms, not a large number of them are harmful to people. That book i mentioned has lots of details if you're interested. Many are specialists and can only complete there life cycle in other specific species.
Check out this link, its about game but gives you an idea. I shot a jackrabbit with cysts once and had to look into it, turns out feeding it to my dog would have been a bad idea. It was tasty, i still cooked it a bit more thoroughly than i otherwise would have as it worried me slightly.

http://wildlife1.usask.ca/newsletters/newsletter2-3.htm

In regards to the perch you can't be infected by that tapeworm in particular. According to that book i mentioned, the broad tapeworm is the only fish parasite in Alberta known to infect humans, and it occurs in pike. Perch can harbor a harmful tapeworm larvae very rarely and only in large specimens (from that book as well). That's why you should always fully cook pike to be 100% safe.

And Willy, by sending pictures in it gives fish and wildlife an idea of what may be going on. If they are concerned they will go do sampling and get a reasonable idea of the frequency or nature of the disease. Like mentioned before, pike can recover from much worse injuries than that and continue to spawn. I wouldn't eat that just due to its looks, but i would release it so it could spawn the next spring.

Here is a FACT sheet from SRD:

http://www.srd.alberta.ca/fishwildli...umors_fish.pdf