Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-27-2014, 07:37 PM

Exclamation Edmonton Area Partridge?

Just looking for back dirt roads in and around edmonton to hunt partridge? It's a yearly thing for me and I just moved from ontario so it's a change for the hunting/fishing regs.
And just wondering if I'd need to ask to hunt birds or not?
Any information helps! Thank you in advance
Old 08-27-2014, 07:45 PM

Welcome! I live here in Edmonton as well and hunt partridge, although I have never seen or herd of any (at least in the last 10 years or so) around Edmonton. When I do hunt them, it is further south. You could make a day trip out of it and head south east or do an over night trip. As far as permission goes, generally roads that are huntable, aren't found to close to the city. But you don't need permission to access them if they are not on private land. Private land is a whole other story. Knocking on doors and talking to lots of people. Just remember, the closer to the city you are, the harder it usually is. Best of luck!

Mike
Old 08-27-2014, 07:46 PM

Where abouts would I go down south? I'm completely clueless on any areas to hunt.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:56 PM

If your talking Ruffies try west of Rimby / Alder Flats / Rocky Mountain House / Nordeg they can all produce for you. Pretty country as well
Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
If your talking Ruffies try west of Rimby / Alder Flats / Rocky Mountain House / Nordeg they can all produce for you. Pretty country as well
Yes ruffies are best. Thank you!
Old 08-27-2014, 08:02 PM

Anything wrong with your other post asking the same? No need to continue starting new threads. and thank you for turning your admin mail function back on

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=228325
Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Anything wrong with your other post asking the same? No need to continue starting new threads. and thank you for turning your admin mail function back on

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=228325
Newer post gets newer replies from new people? Lol i don't know.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:40 PM

just type bump in your original thread and it gets back to the top
or some other pertinate info.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:16 PM

Thumbs up

I love how only us Ontario people call them partridge. Everyone here calls them Grouse(and they are right). I see them everywhere I go. But in the interest of not asking permission just drive an hour west and duck into 308. While you are there pick up a deer. You can thank me later.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:57 PM

OP is in Edmonton area, 308 looks to be 2 hours south of calgary, or did i miss somthing?
I've heard the possibility of grouse down by camrose. Im new to hunting and having just as much trouble finding any information. Apperantly game birds are "all over alberta", except anywhere within an hour or two of edmonton.
Anybody know anything? General area would suite me, dont mind exploring from there.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBearSouth View Post
I love how only us Ontario people call them partridge. Everyone here calls them Grouse(and they are right). I see them everywhere I go. But in the interest of not asking permission just drive an hour west and duck into 308. While you are there pick up a deer. You can thank me later.
Yea I don't wanna go too far from edmonton, partridge become pretty expensive especially if I only end up seeing one lol. But thank you!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ----->shooter View Post
OP is in Edmonton area, 308 looks to be 2 hours south of calgary, or did i miss somthing?
I've heard the possibility of grouse down by camrose. Im new to hunting and having just as much trouble finding any information. Apperantly game birds are "all over alberta", except anywhere within an hour or two of edmonton.
Anybody know anything? General area would suite me, dont mind exploring from there.
I've been told there's some around Sherwood park area, also by the entwistle area - going west that way is where is starts turning into country and is beautiful. The only con about hunting in alberta, is having to find out what land is crown land otherwise you have to ask.
Also, if you're new to hunting, feel free to pm me I'll answer questions to the best of my ability.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:46 AM

Get in your vehicle, get out there, and look.

I'm a chick from out of province too and that's what I did.

I personally work too hard finding my hunting areas to just hand out information to anyone who asks No one is going to publicly post locations for you, because then the area would be overrun with other hunters, and most, like me, work hard and spend time finding these places on their own.

But seriously. Just get in your vehicle and go. Everyone else spends the time, the fuel - it's your turn!
Old 08-29-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ----->shooter View Post
Theres grouse all over the place. I have a family of sharptails living in my companies yard in Nisku. Yes there are plenty of grouse out by Camrose. Theres plenty everywhere. Out by Camrose you will find sharpies more than anything but the occasional coulee or patch of buckbrush will hold a ruffie or two.

With that being said, anyone limiting themselves to the immediate Edmonton area is severely limiting their exposure to upland and waterfowl. You'll find birds, just not in the numbers that you will elsewhere
Old 08-29-2014, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolarBearSouth View Post
Sorry. You are right. I meant 338.
Just go south a few km till you pass the farmers fields then you are in huntable territory. Came out of there with 8 last day of hunting season last year.

Or try Holmes Crossing

Tags
dirt roads, edmonton, hunting, partridge