Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Thanks Guys.

Note to self... don't listen to the American garage renovation/cabinet guy. Apparently he advised me to do it completely wrong!! I imagine he's probably in favour of building walls on various borders too!

Lucky we have a 3 day weekend to get it re-worked. Worse issue, having to move the 500+ lbs of weight plates/rowing machine/squat rack from one side to the other.... I'm doing this for a garage gym, who knew i'd get such a good work out in the interim!

Anyways, thanks for the advice. Now to look at purchasing a substantial heater for the space.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:35 AM

Glad to hear you will remedy the situation. Good on ya.

http://www.modinehvac.com/web/produc...-vented-hd.htm

love mine.

30,000 btu's will be more than enough and will be more efficient than the 45,000 or 60,000 that some will try to push you into.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=HyperMOA;3381691]This is why I am so scared to buy anything used....

Well thanks for your 2 cents mate.... If you actually read the whole thread you would have noticed that I acknowledged my mistake early on.

Also you would have read that I intend on developing the plot, which will require knocking down of the current garage in 2-3 years so a new property/garage can be built.

To say that i knowingly want to ignore the error and sell the property on in a substandard condition is insulting.

Clearly you have a lot of time on your hands to insult people, so maybe you want to come around and make that time productive and help out on the rework!
Old 11-08-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver8ack16 View Post

Well thanks for your 2 cents mate.... If you actually read the whole thread you would have noticed that I acknowledged my mistake early on.

Also you would have read that I intend on developing the plot, which will require knocking down of the current garage in 2-3 years so a new property/garage can be built.

To say that i knowingly want to ignore the error and sell the property on in a substandard condition is insulting.

Clearly you have a lot of time on your hands to insult people, so maybe you want to come around and make that time productive and help out on the rework!
If you noticed the mistake why did you finish?????

Right here is your quote from 2:09PM, "Might be overkill... but seems like a good way to go, and not tear down a weekend of work...And with highly likely possibility of knockdown/property sale in maximum 5 years."

It says highly likely to develop / sell in 5 years. It doesn't say for sure develop, it does however say you may sell it. That is why I am fearful of buying someone else's troubles. This wasn't a personal insult, this is a prime example of a fear for buying someone else's headache.

I also never said you are the type of individual that would or would not disclose this info to the new seller. Once again not a personal insult.

I was however the first guy to give you pat on the back when you said you would rectify your mistake.

If I had the time I would give you a hand. Perhaps we can trade some labour. Do you have a strong back and weak mind? I do.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:32 PM

Seeing as the OP is considering placing VB to make a "sandwich" he has to remove the OSB anyways. Pulling the insulation and cutting the original VB out isn't "that much" extra work.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:51 PM

don't listen to any of this GOOD advice posted before this....just VB over the OSB and then sandwich that layer of VB between another layer of OSB and you're golden.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:07 PM

The whole thing seems a little fishy to me. First he goes to an American source for advise on building in Canada, then he joins an outdoorsmen forum for more advise when he realizes that he made a mistake. I think he would have been better served by spending a minute or two on you-tube.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
don't listen to any of this GOOD advice posted before this....just VB over the OSB and then sandwich that layer of VB between another layer of OSB and you're golden.
Do you seriously believe that is the golden way to do it, and ignore all the actual good advice given? If you could show me one building inspector who would agree with you on that process as being golden, I guess my 35 years in construction was all for nothing......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-08-2016, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Do you seriously believe that is the golden way to do it, and ignore all the actual good advice given? If you could show me one building inspector who would agree with you on that process as being golden, I guess my 35 years in construction was all for nothing......
Ummm...I'm pretty sure Drake was being sarcastic.
Old 11-08-2016, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clgy_Dave2.0 View Post
Ummm...I'm pretty sure Drake was being sarcastic.
Phew, good to know....it's hard for me to tell sometimes, I was hoping that's what it was.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-28-2017, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver8ack16 View Post
Hey.

I need some advice/reassurance I haven't made a big insulation/vapour barrier mistake on my DIY project over the weekend.

Basically decided to insulate my detached 21X22ft garage as I use it as a home gym, and the Edmonton/Alberta winter is upon us.

I used basic batt insulation, and OSB boarding to make it a cheap and cheerful workable space in sub zero temperatures. My issue, I took advice for a garage cabinet guy in the US to determine the order to install materials.

His advice - External Wall/Vapour Barrier/Insulation/OSB.

Reading around (yes i probably should have done more prior) the general format for a house insulation is External Wall/Insulation/Vapour Barrier/Drywall.

Now. Should i be worried about moisture build up?

As it is a detached garage, I thought that the humidity/temperature variance inside to out probably won't vary too much and therefore minimal moisture build up.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I don't really want to rip it all down and start fresh!

Thanks

Any updates? how is it going?
Old 01-28-2017, 06:49 AM

For old and buildings with low strength supporting structures a styrofoam based roofing material is an idea as it possess low density and provides better insulation than other materials.
Now fire retardant polystyrene roofing materials are widely used like Iko products.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:20 PM

All done and dusted. I took the advice to rip out the first attempt and completely redo the job.

Added a convection heater and a oil heater that has a timer, allowing me to warm the garage prior to use. One gas I will stump up the case to put in a larger gas heater, but for now its all good.

Ended up with a very cosy work space. Roughly get a +10c temperature difference to exterior temperature, without heating.

Thanks for the help
Old 01-29-2017, 12:13 PM

Didn't want to start another thread. In the process of insulating an attached garage and getting all material needed.

In terms of ceiling, should I hang VB then drywall then lay insulation on top or lay insulation and vb then drywall?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post
Didn't want to start another thread. In the process of insulating an attached garage and getting all material needed.

In terms of ceiling, should I hang VB then drywall then lay insulation on top or lay insulation and vb then drywall?
I put up 4' of Vb and a row of drywall then lay the insulation on top one row at a time.
I have put up all the VB and drywall except for a row down the middle then sprayed insulation from the middle in both directions. Fill in the rest of the drywall and leave a hatch in the middle.
Old 01-29-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masalma View Post

I insulated the whole thing, then VB and then drywalled. Went nice and quick.
Old 01-29-2017, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Vapor barrier always to the warm side. Redo it now while it's warm.
I agree redo it properly and save headaches down the road.
Old 01-29-2017, 07:56 PM

If you are using batts, then they sit in-between the joists pretty easily. Vapour barrier and stick up the boarding/dry wall.

Hiring a drywall lift was a god send!

Tags
edmonton, garage, garage plans, insulation