Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2018, 08:24 AM

Default Bull Trout Help

Hey AO!

I have been fly fishing for a few years now and have had a great deal of success catching a number of species in both Stillwater and on rivers; however, when I target Bull Trout I tend to have really slow days. Anyone have any advice for catching bull trout on streamers? I usually think weight is my issue (getting the fly to the bottom) so I load up on weight and use a sink tip, no success. Possibly fly size, so I got some bigger streamers (5-8") and that was unsuccessful. I watched a few videos on drifting streamers and tried those techniques as well as trying different retrieval speeds. I have been trying all this for a few years and have caught a few under 20" bulls and a PB of 24", but I see folks consistently catch big bullies so hopefully there is a good tip out there for me!

I do "fish where the fish are", usually fish for cutties, bows, and grayling while walking away from truck/camp, and fish for bullies on the way back. I have watched bull trout chase around hooked fish and then try fishing for said bull trout afterwards with little to no success. I also have had the opportunity to fish (and will continue to fish) some well known bull trout streams (as well as streams not so popular).

Anyways, any advice? Like I said I have tried a few tactics, any to focus on? Get deep fast? Big streamers? Both? I have also heard a little propeller behind the head of the fly works ok?

Thanks AO! I have been trying to beat that PB bully for a couple years with no success, this will be the year I beat it!