Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 09:20 PM

Post We want to hear your opinion on hunting in Alberta!

Hi!

I am an undergraduate student at the University of British Columbia and am completing a thesis project. We are interested in perspectives of hunters in British Columbia and Alberta. Hunters' perspectives are often overlooked in research which is why we are interested in this topic. My background in hunting is limited to falconry, but have registered hunters in my family. My research will be based on the results of this survey with the intention of publishing these results in a wildlife management journal.

We would greatly appreciate your input in taking a 5-10 minute survey to share your thoughts on hunting in Alberta: http://lfs.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2bf4wACAZvGFG9n

Thank you for your time!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 PM

Good luck with your survey, I've been hunting in ab since I was 14
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 PM

Being a new poster you will experience some skepticism about the intent of your questions. As often as not, answering such inquiries might be detrimental to our cause as the intent of the surveyor might well be misconstrued. Such is the thought process of people involved in an activity that is under political fire from people who oppose our activities based on their own moralities.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Being a new poster you will experience some skepticism about the intent of your questions. As often as not, answering such inquiries might be detrimental to our cause as the intent of the surveyor might well be misconstrued. Such is the thought process of people involved in an activity that is under political fire from people who oppose our activities based on their own moralities.
My thoughts exactly, which is why I responded rather than taking the survey.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:42 PM

I have spoken with the student doing the research, and have taken the survey. There are no loaded questions by any means, and does not in any way seem to aligned with any cause which would be detrimental to our hunting pursuits. I am inclined to want to help out and be hospitable. Survey is also very short.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 PM
Banned

Seemed easy enough might provide good info that hunters aren't cold blooded killers like many non hunters think we are.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Seemed easy enough might provide good info that hunters aren't cold blooded killers like many non hunters think we are.
My thoughts as well.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:10 PM

Done
Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
OP would have to have at least 60 posts invested
into AO before I would participate in his activities.
I suppose that you could let non hunters fill out the survey instead.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:17 PM

Done
Easy
Nice to see
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 PM

Done. Took four more minutes. I have nothing to hide and I am always willing to answer any questions about my hunting. Pro hunting or anti, rather it be an informed decision that assumed.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:19 PM

Done, short and sweet.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:31 PM

Yup, tinfoil off. It seemed rather innocuous.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:37 PM

What are you hope on gaining from these Surveys?
Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I have spoken with the student doing the research, and have taken the survey. There are no loaded questions by any means, and does not in any way seem to aligned with any cause which would be detrimental to our hunting pursuits. I am inclined to want to help out and be hospitable. Survey is also very short.
I agree there are no questions that anyone
couldn't answer to anyone who is a normal hunter .
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Done, easy, not sure how these questions gather data to provide what info but either way painless to complete.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
I agree there are no questions that anyone
couldn't answer to anyone who is a normal hunter .
I looked at it yesterday and saw the thread was closed.
Mods cleaned it up and ready- opened it afterwards after some investigation I suppose . I then filled it out last night .
Cat
Old 02-22-2018, 06:19 AM

Done.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 02-22-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I looked at it yesterday and saw the thread was closed.
Mods cleaned it up and ready- opened it afterwards after some investigation I suppose . I then filled it out last night .
Cat
You are right, Cat. I conversed with the young person last night. Comes from a family of hunters, and is personally involved in falconry! Kinda makes him/her one of us I'd say. Wants to do a research on hunters' values in BC and AB, as there is not much out there.

Kid is just looking to get a degree. Student is in Dr Walker's class. This Dr Walker seems to do a lot of research into the branding of animals (cows and sea lions). Dr Walker could be the devil incarnate, but this is just a young person in her class.

I was in an English class once where the prof's area of specialty was gay men's literature. After the date where we could no longer drop the class w/o penalty, he made us read novels about middle eastern men sodomizing each other and animals. That class, though I got the worst mark in my university career, never made me middle eastern nor one who sodomizes people or cows. People get so bent out of shape over nothing. I hope the kid gets a heckuva good mark!
Old 02-22-2018, 07:04 AM

Done

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 07:17 AM

I initially hesitated to complete the questions, once I saw the three options for sex, as that type of nonsense makes me wonder about the people that came up with this, but I did finish the questions.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:54 AM

Done. Hopefully this ends up being able to counter some of the negative (and I think largely unfounded) stereotypes of hunters.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:05 AM

Done.

Thought it as a very open and well written survey to help identify possible research questions.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks for posting your experience. I was doubtful, so I skipped right over it, but I will probably have a second look now.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugEye View Post
What are you hope on gaining from these Surveys?
Actually surveys/papers are used all the time by those making policy change to back up their work (think about violence against woman, housing density, etc).

Last edited by Scott h; 02-22-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:34 AM

Done
Old 02-22-2018, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are right, Cat. I conversed with the young person last night. Comes from a family of hunters, and is personally involved in falconry! Kinda makes him/her one of us I'd say. Wants to do a research on hunters' values in BC and AB, as there is not much out there.

Kid is just looking to get a degree. Student is in Dr Walker's class. This Dr Walker seems to do a lot of research into the branding of animals (cows and sea lions). Dr Walker could be the devil incarnate, but this is just a young person in her class.

I was in an English class once where the prof's area of specialty was gay men's literature. After the date where we could no longer drop the class w/o penalty, he made us read novels about middle eastern men sodomizing each other and animals. That class, though I got the worst mark in my university career, never made me middle eastern nor one who sodomizes people or cows. People get so bent out of shape over nothing. I hope the kid gets a heckuva good mark!
Hope that class was worth the price...wtf are they teaching people in University that is worth life long debt?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Hope that class was worth the price...wtf are they teaching people in University that is worth life long debt?
Nothing but debauchery in that class.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nothing but debauchery in that class.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
I never meant to come across like dick, but wow i have been to some strange place's on the net and i am fairly open minded but that is one of the most disturbing comments that i have ever read anywhere...hahahaha

I'll stick to being an uneducated moron if that's what they are teaching!
Old 02-22-2018, 09:58 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntvalues View Post
Hi!

I am an undergraduate student at the University of British Columbia and am completing a thesis project. We are interested in perspectives of hunters in British Columbia and Alberta. Hunters' perspectives are often overlooked in research which is why we are interested in this topic. My background in hunting is limited to falconry, but have registered hunters in my family. My research will be based on the results of this survey with the intention of publishing these results in a wildlife management journal.

We would greatly appreciate your input in taking a 5-10 minute survey to share your thoughts on hunting in Alberta: http://lfs.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_2bf4wACAZvGFG9n

Thank you for your time!
Thank you all so much for your responses. I have received a lot of replies and have now paused collection (can only work through so much data in a limited time period). I greatly appreciate it!

Tags
commentary, hunting, research, values