Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2018, 09:38 AM

Default Ethanol-free gas in Calgary area?

I'd like to try a little mpg comparison in our new car, comparing 87 Octane and ethanol-free 91+ octane. I've heard Shell V-Power, Co-Op and Canadian Tire 91 is all ethanol free. Can anyone confirm or add to the list?

Are there any 87 or 89 octanes out there that are ethanol-free?
Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 AM

A few years ago, I did some research on premium fuel for my boat. I talked to a number of gas stations and most, if not all, said their premium was free of ethanol. I think the mid-grade fuel was a mixture of regular and premium.

I think you had better talk to each gas station to find what their product is all about.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:59 AM

On a slight tangent I noted years back that a Mobil station in Golden had 93 octane super premium available. I saw last night that a Superstore gas station has been rebranded under Mobil signage, I wonder if they will have that super premium? Not really a factor for me right now but in the future....
Old 08-18-2018, 10:07 AM

Av gas is ethanol free
Old 08-18-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
On a slight tangent I noted years back that a Mobil station in Golden had 93 octane super premium available. I saw last night that a Superstore gas station has been rebranded under Mobil signage, I wonder if they will have that super premium? Not really a factor for me right now but in the future....
Looks like Esso and Mobil are one in the same in Canada.
https://www.esso.ca/en/mobil-stations

There's a Mobil station in Cochrane now, so will have to check to see if they have a 93!
Old 08-18-2018, 10:52 AM

Co op , Shell do not have ethanol . I have good luck with both in my vehicles that require it. Decent mileage .

If your vehicle doesn't require the high octane then it not really worth it . Could try switching brands of gas and see if that makes a difference. Try about 2 tankfulls to judge. Lots of variables can affect mileage more than the fuel itself.

Pay attention to price of premium, Co op is pretty good charging about 12 cents more per liter. Petro Canada stations can be all over the place , especially with there 94 octane. The station in Millet charges more for it than Camrose does by about 5 cents. There fuel is good but I don't see much difference in performance or mileage . It does contain ethanol.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Co op , Shell do not have ethanol . I have good luck with both in my vehicles that require it. Decent mileage .

If your vehicle doesn't require the high octane then it not really worth it . Could try switching brands of gas and see if that makes a difference. Try about 2 tankfulls to judge. Lots of variables can affect mileage more than the fuel itself.

Pay attention to price of premium, Co op is pretty good charging about 12 cents more per liter. Petro Canada stations can be all over the place , especially with there 94 octane. The station in Millet charges more for it than Camrose does by about 5 cents. There fuel is good but I don't see much difference in performance or mileage . It does contain ethanol.
Pretty sure Petro Cans 94 is ethanol free
Old 08-18-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyDistracting View Post
Pretty sure Petro Cans 94 is ethanol free
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...TKT_z86YObaXVQ

Contain ethanol straight from the website.

In the FAQ section.
Old 08-18-2018, 11:57 AM

The Shell V Power is ethanol free. It is the only fuel that I will use in my outboards, chainsaw, generator, and quad. Apparently, the ethanol does a number on rubber carb parts, especially if they sit unused for any length of time. Other companies offer ethanol free fuel as well, but the V Power is the only option that I have in my area.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:26 PM

X2 on Shell V Power. I use it in all my small engines.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:45 PM

For engines that don't require high octane, it's just added expense. High octane helps keep high compression engines from pinging as it burns slower. Same heat energy from regular.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogie View Post
Co op , Shell do not have ethanol .
Don't know about Shell, but Co-op says regular is 0-10% ethanol, if you want no ethanol you have to buy premium. http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/P...s-GASOLINE.pdf

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
For engines that don't require high octane, it's just added expense. High octane helps keep high compression engines from pinging as it burns slower. Same heat energy from regular.
I'm in total agreement with your that octane rating has only to do with the fuels ability to be compressed without pinging or what is also known as preignition. I do get tired of knowing that I may often be wasting my time trying to tell some people this.

Av fuel also called 100LL (low lead) does not have ethanol but does have lead.

A test for ethanol in a fuel is to fill a glass or plastic container about half full of water and accurately mark the water level and then fully fill with the fuel and shake. If the water level mark remains the same then no ethanol. If the water level shows an increase then this is caused by the water and ethanol mixing.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
Av gas is ethanol free
It is, but has a lot of lead in it. I found out the hard way. Pumped some Avgas into my old Chevy Blazer so I could get home from the airport after I landed. Haha. Plugged up the catalytic converter solid. So we hacked it off and welded in a piece of pipe instead. Problem solved. Last I saw the old truck, it was cruising Grand Prairie with 450,000 km on it.
Old 08-19-2018, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Don't know about Shell, but Co-op says regular is 0-10% ethanol, if you want no ethanol you have to buy premium. http://crs.coopconnection.ca/files/P...s-GASOLINE.pdf

ARG
Premium had no ethanol. The others grades do. Not sure if any brands have lower grade without ethanol.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:43 AM

If you want high octane in fuel ethanol best way, it is 130 RON (Research Octane Number) or you can go back to tetraethyl lead as still used in avation fuel and totally contaminate environment with lead.
Old 08-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Unless things have changed the only fuel sold in calgary and south of Calgary that contains ethanol is petrocan premiums and mid grade, Some Husky premium and mid grade some Centex, Fas Gas and Domo regular and mid grade.

All others may be advertised to say 'may contain'. You can ask but the station manager likely won't know. Ask if you can see the terminal meter ticket from their last delivery. There are no monetary amounts on it, only product and additives.

Colin
Old 08-19-2018, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey View Post
I'd like to try a little mpg comparison in our new car, comparing 87 Octane and ethanol-free 91+ octane. I've heard Shell V-Power, Co-Op and Canadian Tire 91 is all ethanol free. Can anyone confirm or add to the list?

Are there any 87 or 89 octanes out there that are ethanol-free?
From what I understand, ethanol is not as "energy potent" as a pure gasoline. So, at least in theory, your mpg should be lower than with ethanol-free gas.

What make and model did you get? If your car's engine wasn't designed for high octane fuel I would not recommend using anything over 91 octane (with or without ethanol) or you risk burning/damaging parts.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:49 PM

The local Costco has no ethanol in either of their grades of gas. No sticker so I asked, the attendant made a phone call and the answer I got was they stopped with the ethanol about a year ago.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-22-2018, 06:53 PM

https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=AB
Old 08-22-2018, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
The local Costco has no ethanol in either of their grades of gas. No sticker so I asked, the attendant made a phone call and the answer I got was they stopped with the ethanol about a year ago.
Good to know! Wish I would have seen this post before I headed there today. Our car is a new Toyota and the discussion board that I joined is debating whether 91 ethanol free runs quieter and get better mileage than standard 87 with ethanol. Apparently someone has run some tests with a decibel meter and the early results seem to support this theory... so far....
Old 08-22-2018, 07:37 PM

I thought ethenol was an american product to help corn farmers. I might be wrong . If refined in canada no ethenol.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expedition View Post
I thought ethenol was an american product to help corn farmers. I might be wrong . If refined in canada no ethenol.
I think that's pretty much it - the corn lobby is pretty strong in the States. The message board I joined is run out of the US and they are pretty envious of our ethanol free Canadian gas.

Blended gas is supposed to be a "greener" alternative but I'm not convinced 10% ethanol added to an engine is going to make a huge difference on that front, especially if mpg suffers. Supporting car manufacturers to focus on better mpg/efficient engines would be a better way to go.

I also heard that ethanol blended gas helps with the emission tests that they require in some States.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Most every pump up here will say up to 10% for regular, up to 5% for mid grade, and none in most premium except Mohawk I believe. I have never inquired other then what it says at the pumps. All my small motors get premium only. Ethanol is total crap for carbs.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:44 PM

Quote:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...gh1t1c3X-PN6Sl

Alberta government implemented that fuels need to have renewable sources added to them for a while. So far not needed in premuim. Probably the same throughout Canada.

Around 2008 most vehicles came out saying flex fuel. Able to take a higher percentage of ethanol safely. It was a joke as most places didn't have this in there fuels. The vehicle manufacturers got a rebate of sorts because the vehicles were more environmentally friendly.

I remember Ford coming out with a SSM, a message regarding the use of high content ethanol fuels and a decrease in mileage. If customer complaint of poor fuel millage then make sure not using high ethanol content fuels.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Quote:
The Husky Upgrader in Lloydminster has an ethanol plant built right beside it and they haul trailer loads out.