Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2018, 08:18 AM

Winnipeg won!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:20 AM

Wasn't dark when my alarm went off and the coffee maker worked it's magic.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:52 PM

Went fishing yesterday in the evening (just past sunset) for the first time this year. I could finish the post here, but...

Was casting the fly for about 20 minutes and not a single bite, nothing at all. Then, I got something hooked and it was pulling like crazy. I could not control the line at all. Whatever was on the other end was going for the logs and sticks and fast. The fight was brutal for about 30 seconds. The way salmon pulls has nothing on what I experienced for the first 30-45 seconds. I was praying for the line and the rod to hold and not break. Another thought was it is the biggest fish anyone had ever caught in Peace River. Then, partially in the dark, at a distance from me now, it briefly showed its back and it was massive. To say that I was thrilled and excited would be an understatement. I was finally taking over the control and was able to get the “thing” closer. Finally, it surfaced and... Ready for it? I was a freaking beaver! At this point, a “lol” would be an understatement of what I felt.

A few second later it was able to get itself off and I was lucky to keep the rod and the line, even the fly stayed intact.

What a fight though! Totally worth it, lol.

Also collected about a buck worth of empties, found two unopened cans of beer. Not bad for the first time out. 28 more outings like this and the empties will pay for the license, lol. Thanks idiots, who leave their garbage behind!

Happy fishing to all!
Old 06-16-2019, 02:22 PM

I am happy the experienced roofer that came today to do my house did not fall off when he experienced some sort of heart issue. I whipped him to the hospital and am waiting to hear how he is.
Now I am happy we only stripped one side of the house, I have to google 'how to set architectural shingles' and get it done before it rains.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 06-16-2019, 03:15 PM

Default New addition

Picked out our new German Shepard Puppy, "Luna" is much anticipated when she is ready to be picked up in a few weeks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Luna Pic.jpg (92.6 KB, 81 views)
Old 06-16-2019, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
Picked out our new German Shepard Puppy, "Luna" is much anticipated when she is ready to be picked up in a few weeks.
What a great looking dog. That is a great reason to be happy. 🍻
Old 06-16-2019, 04:45 PM

Got to talk to both my boys on Father's Day, including a very cool video chat with the older son all the way from Barcelona, Spain.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:08 AM

Sometimes you just get lucky:

Old 07-01-2019, 09:06 AM

Veggie garden is looking good. Potatoes starting to flower. Largest tomato is 1 1/2 inches, long way from ripening. Spinach and strawberries have been good.
Zucchinis and cukes are just showing the first female flowers.
Yup, made me smile.
Old 12-11-2019, 05:43 PM

Was reading some reviews about merkel rifles and this comment cracked me up:

Old 12-11-2019, 06:32 PM

Only 9 more days to go!!
Cat
Old 12-11-2019, 06:50 PM

I am alive when maybe I wasn't supposed to be.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-11-2019, 06:59 PM

The timing chains didnt blow out through my fenders in the truck today, made it home safe lol. That ends trips in that truck though. Bright side I have a winter project!

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 12-11-2019 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-11-2019, 07:35 PM

Finished the last of all the shopping for the holidays today. Food for entertaining, Booze all laid in. Gift shopping was finished in Oct on Amazon Prime.
No more crowds.

Let er buck
Old 12-11-2019, 07:44 PM

I just played an online game of poker while sitting in the sauna. What could be better on a cold night?

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-11-2019, 08:59 PM

Just found out my son is coming home for Christmas week! He's been out of country for a couple of years. Colour me HAPPY and bouncing off to make double pans of date squares/butter tarts/choc chip cookies.

Old 12-11-2019, 09:39 PM

A couple days ago I winched a guy and his wife in their 1 ton dually diesel Dodge towing a 30’ gooseneck trailer out of the bushes alongside the highway west of Edson while the coppers blocked traffic. I took Karma in payment and no, that wasn’t their 20 year old daughter...lol.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:36 PM

Someone helped me while I was parking. That little gesture made my day. I was just doing a reverse parking but it still made me confident I won't bump into the other car.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:31 PM

Looking down on our Pooch today in the field, shivering with excitement, her eyes to the sky, waiting like her owner for the next bird to arrive.

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-12-2019, 08:15 AM

Fixed the air vent system on my 07 F150. Did it all by myself (with help from Youtube) and did it correctly. Only screw left over was the one I intentionally didn't put back in. Walked away feeling mighty proud.

I'll make a backyard mechanic out of myself soon enough.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:30 AM

I woke up warm, fed, healthy & with my family all doing well. What else do I really need to be happy?

Politics aside.... Even our worst day here in Canada is still much better than the vast majority of the rest of the world. We have much to be thankful for here and if that doesn't make you happy, not much will. God keep our land, glorious and free.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:00 PM

I have two things that made me happy today.
First, I'm ecstatic that I was able to re-connect with one of my daughters that needed to spread her wings a while ago. It was so warming to hear her voice and to know we will see each other during xmas. My life is complete once more.

Second thing that made me super happy today is to learn that Keg is OK.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-14-2019, 02:45 PM

a retired farmer who lives next door to my work knocking on my door this morning with a tub of Christmas baking from the local town ladies.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 12-14-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Anti-peeve thread. What made you happy today?
My Wife went to work today
Old 12-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Lots!
My wife is finally through the horrible neck issues she has been having, we ate some wonderful pork filled spring rolls from a lovely Filipino lady, got some money rounded up for Caber, went to the new Jumanji movie, sold my suspension seat that wouldn't fit my boat.
And the new season of The Grand Tour is in Amazon Prime!
It was a good day.

Old 12-14-2019, 07:35 PM

A good dog walk in mild Jasper weather and got invited for German Pancakes for lunch. Yum!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 12-09-2020, 11:58 PM

Almost a year since the last post here, only 5 days short. Just pre-covid thread until now, lol.

Anyway, I finished butchering my elk today! All packed up and in the freezer.

Amazingly, I was able to do something I was not able to do in October sometimes: let it hang in the shed and slowly work on it. Shot on the evening of November 28, gutted and spread and left in the bush until the next morning. -6 or -5 overnight, so the meat had cooled quite nicely (aside from the neck, it was still warm in the morning, but still good). All packed out the next day when it warmed up to about +2 or 3 or so. The next week was on average 0 degrees Celsius. It was not perfect since it ranged from +2-3 during the day to -5 at night, the warmer day temperature causing a bit of unwanted humidity, but I could not have asked for better in freaking December!

Anyway, being done has made my day, lol. Not a fan of butchering, though it wasn’t half bad this year: nice and slow is the way to go for me.

It is currently snowing outside too and supposed to cool down quite a bit starting tomorrow. Still below seasonal (it supposed to be 2-3 weeks of -30 right now). Hopefully, it will normalize.

Cool thread. Sucks that it only gets bumped once in a while.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:17 AM

I woke up this morning without the alarm and without any pain in my body or worry where my next meal was coming from.I feel I won the lottery being born in Canada and all my children are healthy and happy. Also my moose summer sausage I made yesterday turned out great.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:28 AM

Looking at the picture of my 10 month old granddaughter

Haven't seen her in person since August, but get to face time once or twice a week.

Mr Conservation
Old 12-10-2020, 01:56 PM

Finally ditched my one crutch I have been using, after a walker, two crutches, said one crutch... now down to a cane for stability.

It has been a long 8 weeks since my hip surgery, and with only a set back or 2,I really do feel like a new person, with a new life.

Cleared to drive and return to work, albeit from home now, but whatever.

Another hurdle I have cleared. With all the lockdowns on, my family is healthy, roof over our heads, freezer is full, I really have nothing to complain about.

Sun is shining, it's a beautiful day.

Cheers everyone...