Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Default Now I'm really confused

Today at Cabela's a asked the "gun expert" if I could look at a Zeiss Terra 2x7 as I felt it would nicely compliment my Model 70 featherweight in 7mm Mauser. As he passed it to me he remarked that it "was a very good rimfire scope". Somewhat befuddled I asked him if somewhere in the literature that it was noted to be a rimfire scope. He replied telling me that he didn't think so but "all 2x7 scopes are made for rimfires". I guess based on that line of thinking my 1.5x4 Burris is for BB guns.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:03 PM

Bass Pro this afternoon. Stood and listened to gun counter employee Jamie pontificate to a 'new to firearms' customer who was contemplating a new hunting rifle. Customer was deciding between a .270 and a 30-06 (presumably, as this was the topic of Jamie's speech). Jamie told the guy that there was a lot of difference between the two, adding facts like how the '06 was much slower, but would penetrate deeper. I was really amused when he told the guy that the .270 was much more accurate "because it has lighter, faster bullets" than the '06 and this was the key to accuracy. He then went on to explain that both 'calibers' were equal in 'precision', but not in accuracy due do the '06 having much more drop.

Somehow, he was equating velocity/drop with accuracy...

WTF?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:11 PM

[QUOTE=gpgriz;1652436]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post

Another one was, "I like to sound hunt", I asked what the hell that means, he said, "I wait for game sounds and shoot at the sound"....idiot.

How hard was it to not punch him very hard in the head?!?
Jackholes like this guy is what causes some hunting accidents.
Sorry this is an old joke from at least 50 years a go "making sound shots", Seasoned hunters would, would just laugh their heads of at this one. But if you could keep a straight face when telling it, it was just great to watch the expressions of the newer gullible hunters. Bait the hook and pull em in.
Old 12-11-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Bass Pro this afternoon. Stood and listened to gun counter employee Jamie pontificate to a 'new to firearms' customer who was contemplating a new hunting rifle. Customer was deciding between a .270 and a 30-06 (presumably, as this was the topic of Jamie's speech). Jamie told the guy that there was a lot of difference between the two, adding facts like how the '06 was much slower, but would penetrate deeper. I was really amused when he told the guy that the .270 was much more accurate "because it has lighter, faster bullets" than the '06 and this was the key to accuracy. He then went on to explain that both 'calibers' were equal in 'precision', but not in accuracy due do the '06 having much more drop.

Somehow, he was equating velocity/drop with accuracy...

WTF?
Forgot to mention when Jamie was trying to explain why a 7mm RM rifle was more expensive than the .270/'06. He told the guy that they build the magnum rifles much stronger and more heavy duty because they are magnums and are so much more powerful than rifles designed to fire non-magnums.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:15 PM

All I can say is that my stomach hurts from reading all these threads here, some funny, some not so. I was lucky growing up as a young teenager, had lots of knowledgeable people to show me the ropes about hunting, reloading, and browsing at the local gun stores in Edmonton, etc. I have heard, and seen lots at the gun stores, gun shows over the years in many parts of the world, all with very similar outcomes. When I was a young kid my Mom would even take me to the gun shops, the one i most remember was a hardware store called WW Arcade, near the convention center, and the new Canada place building. Does anyone else remember this store? There was a tall Woman named Dot that worked there in the Gun dept, down the stairs, was like a kid in a candy store!

And then as a teenager/adult there was Wholesale sports on 97th street and Yellowhead trail, used to be the Woodwards warehouse before. I remember George, the older gentleman who also worked worked at the new store on the north side, St Albert Trail. He was a wealth of information, and full of stories that I never tired of hearing. I have not seen him in the store in the last few years though.

Does anyone else remember these stores and workers?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:42 PM

Last week I was in WSS in Calgary. There was a guy about 65-70 barking at the counter clerk.

"No powder?" "Seriously?" "Since when?" "This is Horse****! Only WSS has issues like this." "Everyone has powder!"

And he wasn't being quiet about it. He looked like a total idiot and had no clue.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUDUHNTR View Post
All I can say is that my stomach hurts from reading all these threads here, some funny, some not so. I was lucky growing up as a young teenager, had lots of knowledgeable people to show me the ropes about hunting, reloading, and browsing at the local gun stores in Edmonton, etc. I have heard, and seen lots at the gun stores, gun shows over the years in many parts of the world, all with very similar outcomes. When I was a young kid my Mom would even take me to the gun shops, the one i most remember was a hardware store called WW Arcade, near the convention center, and the new Canada place building. Does anyone else remember this store? There was a tall Woman named Dot that worked there in the Gun dept, down the stairs, was like a kid in a candy store!

And then as a teenager/adult there was Wholesale sports on 97th street and Yellowhead trail, used to be the Woodwards warehouse before. I remember George, the older gentleman who also worked worked at the new store on the north side, St Albert Trail. He was a wealth of information, and full of stories that I never tired of hearing. I have not seen him in the store in the last few years though.

Does anyone else remember these stores and workers?
I bought my first scope from that WW Arcade, in 1973. They had lots of hunting and fishing items back then. I remember WWS being on 97st., and The Fishin' Hole used to be there as well, first south of Yellowhead, then north behind the 7-11. The Fishin' Hole originally was on 82 ave and 96 st, terrible parking.
Worked with George for a couple of years, one of the nicest men I ever met.

Bought my first bow at Edmonton Sporting goods, I think it was called, on 82 ave and 75 st. On the south side there was also Wolverine sports on Argyll and another Gun Store on Calgary Tr. south just north of Argyll. Also spent a bit of time down on Gun Row on 105st, there was about 4-5 gun stores there. There was also a fishing store out on Stony Plain road about 142 st. called Tackle Time I think. On about 102 ave and 101st? there was a gun store, don't recall the name, parking really sucked, so I never went there to often.
Old 02-12-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I bought my first scope from that WW Arcade, in 1973. They had lots of hunting and fishing items back then. I remember WWS being on 97st., and The Fishin' Hole used to be there as well, first south of Yellowhead, then north behind the 7-11. The Fishin' Hole originally was on 82 ave and 96 st, terrible parking.
Worked with George for a couple of years, one of the nicest men I ever met.

Bought my first bow at Edmonton Sporting goods, I think it was called, on 82 ave and 75 st. On the south side there was also Wolverine sports on Argyll and another Gun Store on Calgary Tr. south just north of Argyll. Also spent a bit of time down on Gun Row on 105st, there was about 4-5 gun stores there. There was also a fishing store out on Stony Plain road about 142 st. called Tackle Time I think. On about 102 ave and 101st? there was a gun store, don't recall the name, parking really sucked, so I never went there to often.
I have known George for many years....he worked with Doug Hill and My Father at Wholesale, George always had a hello and would ask how I was doing. A really great man.

You are thinking of Trail Firearms North of Argyll....my Father worked there as well as Edmonton Sporting Goods, Klondike, and Phoenix.

LC
Old 02-12-2015, 10:13 PM

George looks like the kind of uncle that would take a kid fishing or hunting.
My uncle was like that: nice guy, kind, had hundreds and hundreds of friends.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:43 PM

Hey Bobalong,

Thanks for sharing the picture of George, looks like just how I remember him,
he always and lots of fishing and bird hunting stories & always enough time to show you rifles!
Old 02-17-2015, 03:40 PM

s
Old 02-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Default 22-250 in BC???

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem338win View Post
Depends on where you are. I know for a fact its perfectly legal in BC and Manitoba.
BC regs clearly state minimum caliber for large game, this includes deer is .24. BC is where I grew up and learned to hunt.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have known George for many years....he worked with Doug Hill and My Father at Wholesale, George always had a hello and would ask how I was doing. A really great man.

You are thinking of Trail Firearms North of Argyll....my Father worked there as well as Edmonton Sporting Goods, Klondike, and Phoenix.

LC
I remember Trail also as well as all the other stores mentioned. What was the owners name of Trail? Prestash or Pretach, cant remember now but a great guy to deal with and honest. For a short time he also owned the Phoenix.

I remember George also, didn't he also work for Custom Gun on what used to be gun shop row there by P&D?

Loved WW Arcade. My dads business was a few blocks away and I was often sent on a mission to get this bolt or that washer that he needed and had run out of. Inevitably I always found myself spending an extra 10 minutes at the gun counter.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
BC regs clearly state minimum caliber for large game, this includes deer is .24. BC is where I grew up and learned to hunt.
You better read your BC regulations again sir. You must be thinking of the AB regulations..
Old 02-18-2015, 09:26 AM

I was looking into reloading shot gun shells, While checking for components at WSS South Common, I asked the fellow behind the counter where they had their lead shot. He said with a smile that, that was such a bad word these days, that they won't even stock it. I said that's strange because 90% of the shells you have on the floor are filled with lead shot. He gave me a deer in the headlights look and shrugged his shoulders.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE=hunter64;2739963]I remember Trail also as well as all the other stores mentioned. What was the owners name of Trail? Prestash or Pretach, cant remember now but a great guy to deal with and honest. For a short time he also owned the Phoenix.

You are right, I believe it was Bob Prestash, Bought my first .223 varmint rifle from him, and then a Parker hale in 7mm mag, was very easy to deal with, more personable than the big box gun counters nowadays
Old 02-22-2015, 02:48 PM

I was at Proline in Calgary looking for some reloading gear. While I was there the phone rang and I listened in.

The guy on the phone was from another shop in Calgary asking if Proline had any .50bmg rifles in stock. They had a single shot .50 and he finally asked why he was looking. He shook his head and hung up.

I ask what's up and he said that someone was at the other shop and just passed his PAL course on the weekend and is looking for a .50 cal as his first gun.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Just got a call from a buddy. He said he just had a customer come in and try to tell him that he reloads .270 and is able to get 2500 fps more than the manual states!
It's magic I tell ya.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
Just got a call from a buddy. He said he just had a customer come in and try to tell him that he reloads .270 and is able to get 2500 fps more than the manual states!
It's magic I tell ya.
Did the manual state 450fps?

LC
Old 02-24-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:

LC
Perhaps he was looking at Trail Boss data for a .270 REN with heavy bullets?
Old 02-24-2015, 03:02 PM

At wss south some man told the gun counter worker that he loads 100 grain bullets in a 25-06 at 4200 fps with a marlin rifle.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Hale View Post
Uhm... I believe you have mistaken BC and AB.
I grew up hunting in BC and I recall it a bit diffrent.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:11 PM

Quote:

LC
Just magic!
Old 02-24-2015, 06:47 PM

I was at a wss counter asking to see a remington 7600 - any 7600 - to shoulder and get a feel for it. Being a lefty, levers and pumps are near and dear to me. The gentleman looked confused when I said rifle. He said the 7600 is a shotgun. I actually needed to show him their website on my phone before he stopped looking at me like I took the short bus to school.

He quickly informed me that it didn't matter because they didn't have a 7600 in stock anyway.
Old 02-27-2015, 05:07 PM

Default Took advantage of ignorance

Quote:
Was in at a un-named gun counter today and the guy behind the counter was showing a young fella a .30-06. I overheard the young guy say, "Yah I have a .270 already but I need something with more knockdown power than it has.....that's why I need a .30-06"....."I just need to have a heavy one so that the recoil isn't too much"...."I can't count how many deer I have lost because the .270 just isn't enough gun...."

Let the games begin....

LC
A hunter was complaining about his .270 after wounding and not finding his elk. He stated a "magnum" would have dropped it. I agreed and offered him $300 for a Ruger M77,scope,case,2 boxes shells!Twenty years later ran into to him and advised him the .270 had taken a dozen moose(2shots or less)Of course he thought that was B.S Bigger is not always better!!
Old 02-28-2015, 05:30 PM

Stopped in edmonton at a wholesale hunting place to pick up some nosler custom 22-250 rounds, asked the guy behind counter if they carried it his response was " we don't reload for Nosler but we do sell Hornady Super performance ammo." I said nope I only shoot nosler in my rifle they work deadly on coyotes his reply again " well why pay nosler to reload for you when you could buy Hornady readily available? My only response back was sobeys let You go for lack of intelligence eh, and then walked out. Lol ain't been back since
Old 02-28-2015, 08:17 PM

Last edited by Cowtown guy; 02-28-2015 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Thought things over. Sometimes it isn't worth it.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:13 PM

Too good to not put here: I was on the phone to some young guy at Frontier Firearms last week, in the course of conversation he informed me the 7.62x51 version of the rifle I was looking for was more versatile because it could also fire the shorter 7.62x39! Really? I said. Yup but don't try it the other way around that's dangerous!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:45 PM

Me: Do you have any #4 buckshot?
Clerk: Here you go.
Me: No, sorry, this is #4 shot, I am looking for #4 buckshot.
Clerk: It's the same thing.
Me: No, #4 buck has 24 pellets in it, around 24 caliber each, you use it for coyotes, #4 shot, is, well shot, for bird hunting.
Clerk: There is no such thing, this is all they make for #4 buckshot.

Sadly, I've had this conversation in more than one shop.
Old 04-20-2015, 11:15 PM

I wish I was making this story up. Was at a big box hunting store a few years back and was interested in looking at a rifle. So I walk up to the gun counter and ask the gentleman if they have any Savage Model 25 in stock. The guy doesn't even miss a beat and replies, "sorry sir but BOWS are at that counter over there". Stunned I just stood there, I had no words. finally I said "no its a bolt act..... nevery mind, I am just browsing". I couldn't continue looking due to the fact I was beginning to laugh.