Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-21-2017, 09:10 PM
Banned

Default So we get charged more for people that want to swim in the river???

How the hell does this justify an increase to our water bills, for people to swim , what maybe a handful of days when the river isn't frozen, full of run off, high or low water etc. Etc.

Now if it was to study the sustainability of Sturgeon I'd be all for it.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ver-headwaters.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:14 PM
Banned

Now you know how I feel having to pay taxes to a liberal or ndp government. Paying good money to people so they can destroy our country. Sucks hey!
Old 08-21-2017, 09:23 PM
Suspended User

Sounds like money well spent. Unless you do want to protect the river system
Old 08-21-2017, 09:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Now you know how I feel having to pay taxes to a liberal or ndp government. Paying good money to people so they can destroy our country. Sucks hey!
See I don't look at taxes the same way.

Taxes are like death its inevitable.

And being misspent is just how it is.

But this isn't tax, it's a company making the charge.

And a surcharge on top of a surcharge is different.

Like my heating bill, $60 and the furnace is off.

What are we paying for?

Unless the river looks like some of those in 3rd world countries full of garbage,
Old 08-21-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

Unless the river looks like some of those in 3rd world countries full of garbage,
Go fishing at the hermitage dog park and take a look around. You'd swear it was a 3rd world country some days. We hauled 2 grocery gags full of garbage out last time we were there. Fishing in other people's filth just doesn't appeal to me.

Now if they pulled a guy off a photo radar truck fir a bit and had him handing out littering tickets up and down the river system, that's something I could support.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:20 PM

I can live with paying an additional $1.80 per year to fund a better water quality monitoring system for the river.

That data will be pretty useful for more important things than swimmers.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:01 AM

Quote:
How the hell does this justify an increase to our water bills, for people to swim , what maybe a handful of days when the river isn't frozen, full of run off, high or low water etc. Etc.

So you vote for the NDP and then you're worried about something like that?
Old 08-22-2017, 07:51 AM
Banned

Quote:

So what...as long as it benefits you you have no issue...but if it's for someone else no way?
I don't use the library...thousands do.
I don't use public transport...thousands do.
So do we get to stop our tax dollars going there because I don't use them?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:03 AM

I don't think this has much to do with people wanting to swim in the river, but more the rivers health in general and pin pointing causes of pollution.
The swimming angle is just a way for the writer to connect it for the general readers.
It could have easily been about sturgeon fishermen.

I don't see this as a bad thing at all, for my 15 cents a month.
I hope the research is useful for sustainability of every river in the province.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
See I don't look at taxes the same way.

Taxes are like death its inevitable.

And being misspent is just how it is.

But this isn't tax, it's a company making the charge.

And a surcharge on top of a surcharge is different.

Like my heating bill, $60 and the furnace is off.

What are we paying for?

I wish we could pay a company to run our province/country, that way it would be easy to fire them fore lying or screwing up.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Banned

I agree with the posts that mention it was a dumb way to sell this idea as being for swimmers. I think that monitering the river for pollutants and trying to find out where and when pollutants are flowing into the river is a good idea.
I sounds like only Edmontonians are paying for it, which I don't agree with, and besides, isn't this the type of thing that the AB govt. is supposed to be doing anyways.
Just one more way to nickle and dime us to death.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
Go fishing at the hermitage dog park and take a look around. You'd swear it was a 3rd world country some days. We hauled 2 grocery gags full of garbage out last time we were there. Fishing in other people's filth just doesn't appeal to me.

Now if they pulled a guy off a photo radar truck fir a bit and had him handing out littering tickets up and down the river system, that's something I could support.
Interesting comment. I haven't been to Herm much this year, but for the last 5-6 years that popular fishing spot was always kept the cleanest by the people who used it. Legends was usually the worst, though lots of people use that spot for partying.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

it's amazing how many of us claim to be environmentalists and then run around screaming about 10-15 cents.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:11 AM

It isn't clear that they put the system in BECAUSE a group of people wanted to swim. It could easily be simply that swimmers are happy with the system, or the reporter surmised that swimmers would be happy. Having a water quality monitoring system on a river that runs through a major city (and where they get their drinking water) makes sense to me. The system will help pinpoint where pollutants are coming from, so should help with remediation.... which would help FISH HABITAT and health.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowSwedeItIs View Post
So you vote for the NDP and then you're worried about something like that?
If it was the NDP doing it it wouldn't be a bad thing.
A wise use of our tax dollars.
But its Epcor that is doing it.

Since the NSR flows quite a distance it seems only Edmontonians are paying?
Old 08-22-2017, 10:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
So what...as long as it benefits you you have no issue...but if it's for someone else no way?
Not sure how it benefits me?

The Sturgeon line was because this is an outdoors forum.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I agree with the posts that mention it was a dumb way to sell this idea as being for swimmers. I think that monitering the river for pollutants and trying to find out where and when pollutants are flowing into the river is a good idea.
I sounds like only Edmontonians are paying for it, which I don't agree with, and besides, isn't this the type of thing that the AB govt. is supposed to be doing anyways.
Yes
Old 08-22-2017, 11:45 AM
Banned

I have done some quick research on this new River Watch program. Let me start by saying that I think it sounds like a great and necessary program. I do have some questions and concerns...
... Why would EPCOR piggyback on the good name of the excellent fun and educational program that has been running here in Edm. since 1995, which just happens to be called RIVER WATCH? Will the existing River Watch program now be blended into, or even br run by EPCOR in the future?
...It's a great cause, but there are lots of other great causes out there. In the future, will we be forced to pay small amounts by other large companies for other great causes? Perhaps Canada Post could add a small surcharge to every piece of mail delivered to go towards our war veterans.
... I might have missed the announcements, but were there any study groups or informational meetings where the public might have had some input/ideas about this program?
... Isn't the provincial and federal govts. supposed to be in charge of stuff like this?
Like I said, I think it's a great idea and any program that helps keep the river clean has my support. I just think it would be nice to have some more info. about how this all came about, and how it would be run. I phoned EPCOR to ask them where I could read more info. about this program, and EPCOR's support team has never heard of it. Same story with the City of Edmonton information line. I'm guessing EPCOR will send out a leaflet or something with the next bill.
Personally, I live 1 block from the bank of the NSR and have been fishing and otherwise enjoying the NSR and the river valley for more then 50 years, and have always maintained that the NSR is under appreciated.

Last edited by waterninja; 08-22-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Spot on.

I'll gladly pay that to ensure the NSR dosent turn into a third world sewage canal. Especially if it can pinpoint spills and hold the offending company responsible. Win/win
Old 08-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Interesting comment. I haven't been to Herm much this year, but for the last 5-6 years that popular fishing spot was always kept the cleanest by the people who used it. Legends was usually the worst, though lots of people use that spot for partying.
Legends is pretty bad this year as well, and it looks like mostly fishing garbage (used bait containers, pickerel rig wrappers, cabelas/fishing hole bags).

I think several others have gotten fed up with the garbage at herm, I've seen a few others hauling out garbage as well, but the next time I go it's full of garbage again. I've just stopped going to herm due to the combo of crowds and garbage.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I wish we could pay a company to run our province/country, that way it would be easy to fire them fore lying or screwing up.
You mean like the big banks, investment houses, or automakers? LOL
Old 08-23-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
You understand exactly what is wrong with our current tax system. We all pay far too much tax for things we never use, but someone else might be.

Governments job is Health, Education, Roads, Defense/police, Environmental protection and regulation of civil infrastructure.

Outside of that it should stay the hell out of other things. Government is always looking for areas to expand into and needs to fill, but they use my money to do it even if I don't want it. We need much smaller gov at the Federal, Provincial and Municipal level, and much smaller taxes to go with it.

If private enterprise can't build it and make a profit running it, like pools, libraries, rec centres, curling rinks, camp grounds etc then I don't want to pay for it with my taxes so someone else can have access to them at discounted user fees.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Every outfall in the city is monitored and sampled weekly. The big companies that back onto creeks and rivers are the worst polluters...
Old 08-23-2017, 07:09 PM

This river just keeps getting better and better. I fish both the Bow and NSR. If the NSR isn't in a runoff event, it is cleaner water. Tons of potential!!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:27 AM

Save the money monitoring the river and just fix the dam problems ! We all can see where problems are , just fix it with actions.
Have to wonder who in the Gov will be on this monitoring thing and collecting Thousands of $ to attend a couple meetings. Moda , ( Waste ) of $ !

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 08-24-2017, 05:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Yup, tunnel vision based on ones own wants needs and desires...I deal with this everyday and only ask to step back and see the big picture, some do and some don't .....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-24-2017, 05:41 AM

I was always taught swimming in the NSR was dangerous due to undertow currents etc.

Also I have fished during an unexpected release of sewage upstream only to have my line and waders coated in toilet paper.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin