Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Buy a thermarest and a better sleeping bag
This.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjolg123 View Post
fresh dry base layer for sleep
Yeah, this is a good one. Personaly I use a bag rated down to -12 and it keeps me pretty warm into late October wearing only my boxers most of the time. Beyond that I will wear a base layer and possibly another layer, as well as put my sleeping bag inside another one which will take me down pretty close to -30 in a lean-to

When things start getting cold you need to make sure you have enough insulation under you, in cold weather I use spruce bows under a thermarest and then put a sheet of reflective bubblewrap pipe insulation on top. This is as important as having a warm enough sleeping bag,if you can feel the cold ground it will just suck the warmth right out of you. Another trick is to bring a balaclava for sleeping in, it keeps the air you are breathing a little warmer.
Old 08-26-2016, 12:58 AM

Default Sleeping bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Buy a thermarest and a better sleeping bag
What would be good (to great) sleeping bag?

Was going to post this as a thread, but have no clue how to
Old 08-26-2016, 03:48 AM
Banned

Default over bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdopudj View Post

Get a silk liner with a hood, it is worth every cent you pay. One good mummy bag with down filling if you want to compress it small for packing. Good to -5C or a bit colder. You can buy what they call an over bag for really cold sleeping or just use another sleeping bag over your regular bag.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevercatchmuch View Post
Looking for tips on how to keep warm when evening temps drop below 5 degrees when tenting... I freeze!!
Strategies already used:
-warm sleeping bag
-layers
-hot water bottle
-mitts and toque
-tent fly ropes tied down close
-brisk walk and warm tea before bed

What am I missing besides a better metabolism!?
You mentioned tent fly down close.
If you're cold tenting, be sure to have open windows to vent moisture. You breathe out a lot water over the night and the moisture will make it feel colder.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdopudj View Post

http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...g-Bag/p/161391

That was just a quick search. Wholesale has bags with their logo on them that are reasonably priced. Buy the -30 bag and you're set. Get a canvas bedroll built for it and you're good for any temperature. Just make sure you have a good pad underneath it. Nothing fancy about staying warm if weight isn't an issue
Old 08-26-2016, 08:02 PM

Put a tarp over your tent as well. It'll help.
Also as mentioned above those hot pocket hand warmer but tape or stuff them right over your kidneys, it really works wonders!
Enjoy!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 AM
Banned

Default cooking

Cooking and eating out side in the wind and cold is miserable and cooking inside without a chimney is dangerous.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:34 AM

Guys, buy the biggest heater you can afford, cut nice pile of dry wood preferably aspen popular and a good sleeping bag in a outfitter canvas tent then you are good down to -40oC.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:15 AM

Default heat the blood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisplacedCaper View Post
Put a tarp over your tent as well. It'll help.
Also as mentioned above those hot pocket hand warmer but tape or stuff them right over your kidneys, it really works wonders!
Enjoy!
Not just over your kidneys! The best way to get warm and stay warm is to heat the blood as directly as possible, so placing the warmers on the point where your femoral artery comes closest to the surface, or on both sides of your wrists and ankles where the arteries come closest to the surface, are going to be the best way to get warmed quickly and stay that way.

It's also important to know if you have any hypersensitive areas on your own body that will have a greater impact if warmed or cooled. On many folks it is the small of the back or the nape of the neck, so making sure that these are kept closely covered with extra insulation will help, too.

I like the big, old-fashioned hot water bottle filled with boiling water to preheat the bedding, to keep the small of my back warm all night, and then use the water to wash in the morning. The small warmers go on the insides of my wrists and ankles for as long as I'm outside before bed, since it's easier to STAY warm than to GET warm, and it's easy to tuck them in a sock or wrist wrap or pull them out as needed for the rest of the night.
Old 08-27-2016, 10:40 AM

If you're a guy, bring a wide-mouthed water bottle for the possibility of having to go pee during the night. Just make sure you label the bottle with skull and crossbones, or the like

If you are backcountry camping(i.e. you had to hike all your gear in) then look around for a winter type of sleeping pad. There are some which incorporate down and are made for sub-zero camping. Also a mummy bag(filled with either down or synthetic material) will keep you a bit warmer as the bag is tailored to your body, rather than a rectangular bag.

Keep the tent's ventilation open because you create condensation by breathing out moisture inside and it may get damp.

Eat a hearty dinner to "stoke the fire" so to speak. This will keep the digestive juices flowing for a while keeping your core a bit warmer. Your body's metabolism does slow down during the night so this also adds to your ability to sleep in colder temps. Don't bundle up too much though as you don't want to sweat and get wet.

If you will be camping right by your vehicle then bring all the stoves, heaters, comforts of home, etc., with you as there really won't be much of a challenge/adventure.

Have fun and enjoy the adventure!
Old 08-27-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken3134 View Post
Your body needs fat to generate body heat.

check!
I always keep plenty with me at all times. Even in the summer.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:14 PM

I have 2 sleeping bags, very lightweight with 3M insulation. One is rated at -5C, the other is -30C, both by Woods. I have used them in a 7x7 tent wrapped in a sheet of thin plastic, when it was cold enough that our minnow buckets had a thick layer of ice in it, and the -30C was actually to hot to keep zipped up. Sleeping bags were big enough to get partially dressed in, and leave the clothes in it overnight. If you are sleeping in a quincy, the -5C is way more than enough if you have a thin foam roll along, and way nicer than sleeping in a tent. The lightweight clothing offered today is really nice.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Banned

Default how much wood

You have the choice of burning one pound of wood an hour and carrying a 5lbs. load for stove, chimney and shelter. That's for 2 people with a 10'x12' tarp.
4 people need at least a 12'x12' tarp using the same light stove. That is a sitting on a mat height.
For a sitting on a chair height a 20'x20' tarp is needed and a 2 1/2 gallon can size stove that maybe burns 2 lbs. of wood an hour.

Or carry a 60 lbs. shelter + 10-30 lbs. stove and burn maybe 20 lbs. of wood an hour.

Last edited by chimpac; 08-29-2016 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:48 PM

Still too cold! Let's talk specifics. Merino wool base layer? Best tent material to trap heat?
Old 08-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Still too cold! Let's talk specifics. Merino wool base layer? Best tent material to trap heat?
Old 08-23-2017, 01:29 AM
Banned

Bring a wide mouth Garorade bottle with you to whizz in during sleeping hours. Nice pillow doesn't hurt either. Safe heater in the tent works wonders. Proper mindset.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Looking for tips on how to keep warm when evening temps drop below 5 degrees when tenting... I freeze!!
Strategies already used:
-warm sleeping bag
-layers
-hot water bottle
-mitts and toque
-tent fly ropes tied down close
-brisk walk and warm tea before bed

What am I missing besides a better metabolism!?
I see one thing you missed. High energy food, sweets.

I take it you are referring to °C temperatures.

5 °F is a touch on the nippy side. You need a real good bag to sleep comfortable without heat in those temps.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM

This might sound dumb, but I seem to feel warmer with less clothes and more blankets. I think the clothes can restrict circulation a bit. My experience anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 08-23-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Good ole rock in a sock.

Rock from the fire
Tinfoil wrap
2-4 socks

Store in you sleeping bag
This, a rock gives off heat a lot longer than a water bottle.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:20 AM

If someone dared bring a wide mouth bottle to use he and bottle would both be out in the snow! Still like nice lady to cuddle, she will keep you warm.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
If someone dared bring a wide mouth bottle to use he and bottle would both be out in the snow! Still like nice lady to cuddle, she will keep you warm.
Don't winter camp much, eh.

Why so bothered by it?
Old 08-24-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Bring a wide mouth Garorade bottle with you to whizz in during sleeping hours. Nice pillow doesn't hurt either. Safe heater in the tent works wonders. Proper mindset.
I've only ever needed the narrow bottle.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nester View Post
Don't winter camp much, eh.

Why so bothered by it?
Because, well just because.

Honestly, I wouldn't be happy if a hunting buddy wasn't man enough to get out of bed and go outside to do what we all do.
It just don't seem natural to use a bottle, or anything else for that, in the bush.

Besides, it's good for the trees. They need moisture, and minerals.

Now, I have to admit I have considered the possibility when the mosquitoes were really bad. But never because I'm afraid of the dark or the cold or whatever.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 PM

Diesel space heater, keep you warm all night long.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:23 PM

Lots of great suggestions already.

I'll just add this - get use to it!
I mean, the first night is always tough, but as the days go by you will acclimate to the cold nights.

if you can prep for cooler sleeps before your trip, you shouldn't be too deprived on your first night.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:21 PM

Battery Heated Electric Vest up to 8H

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-25-2017, 05:33 AM

Default another sleeping bag vote!

I've always found that just having a "bit" better sleeping bag than your hunting partner works wonders! That way it's him getting up to feed the stove in the middle of the night One of the most relaxing trips I have ever had.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:47 AM

Wiggys if your motorized. Good mummy (Down) and a Bivy if your not. Dont wear long underwear in your bag. Strip down to scivvies. You will feel warmer once your bag heats up.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:12 AM

Yup, all you really need to do is get a good sleeping bag. I picked up a -40 Canadian Forces bag, around $200 online. It's a two-bag down system with an inner liner. Used it at fish camp last winter, the temps didn't get very low but it was -10 or so overnight and it was too hot to zip up.