Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 PM

Default Beaver Problem North of Gibbons AB

Is their any one out their who could give me some advise our help getting rid of some Beavers.
Noticed a month ago these Beavers had blocked a culvert under our road and caused the road to nearly flood out. Have cleaned this culvert out 3 times and have started pumping water through it to lower this dugout its connected to. I thought the Beaver gave up but now he's building mud and stick dams on a trenchline we had running into the dugout. I've cleaned this out twice now as it was backing up water further down on the property.
I finally decided to take my 22 and walk out along the trenchline around 9:00 p.m. and low and behold, he was their rebuilding a dam. He saw me and started swimming fast down the trenchline and than wacked his tail which startled me and he swam into a deep pond. I waited about 10 minutes getting bit to death by mosquitoes and he came up and started swimming in circles. I aimed my gun but the sunsetting was in my eyes and I missed him. He came back up about 1/2 hour later and I fired again but don't think I got him. I bought a 330 Beaver Trap today but a bit concerned about losing my fingers. Need help
Old 07-08-2017, 07:29 AM

Contact your county or MD office....they likely have someone who does that type of work.
Old 07-08-2017, 09:23 AM

Get a bigger gun!
Old 07-08-2017, 10:53 AM

When setting your 330 trap always leave safetys on until last, also be sure it has safetys.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Contact your county or MD office....they likely have someone who does that type of work.
X2... find a professional trapper. I think Hunter Dave. On this forum might be close to you. He is a trapper. Save your 22 for gophers. Don't get the Beaver trap shy cause it will cost you more in the long run...
Bill
The Alberta Trappers Association is in west lock I'm sure they could direct you to a trapper in the area.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:28 PM

Or use a shotgun with shells that have large shot in it. That is what we use to control the population at my cousins place. He likes the pond but does not want the beavers to take all the trees out.
Old 07-08-2017, 10:36 PM
Banned

If you are in Stugeon County, there's a county trapper who'll come out and trap it. Contact public works at the county office in Morinville.

This is within my stomping grounds and, depending on my work load, I can help you out with this. Shoot me a PM and we'll touch base. It may take me a few days to get back to you though.
Old 07-10-2017, 06:19 AM

Default Beaver Trapping

I nervously set the trap on Saturday afternoon in front of a culvert he likes to swim through. I left a couple of poplar sticks by it for bait. I could tell the beaver had rebuilt a small mud dam again to block the water flow so he was still alive. I'm going out their today to see if I got him. If the trap failed, I'll call the county office. Starting to get nervous if I did get him cause it probably won't be a pretty sight with it laying in merky water for 2 days....