Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-12-2017, 02:02 PM

Rent my Cherokee wet for $130/h, instructor for $60, groundschool Harv's Air, and if you are reasonable/average, it will cost you about $8000.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I'm not horribly worried about it being cheap, since I brought the big boat back from Quebec 2 years ago I have added radar, 2 fishfinders, a swim deck, 6 salmon rigs and a couple spare rods, 4 halibut rigs, 5 inflatable life jackets, traps, anchors, electric steering for the kicker, all the hardware for several species of saltwater fish, etc. It's my hobby, I understand it takes money to have 1.
I look at flying the same, it is just the next big hobby.
Can't take it with me, and I said years ago while I am able to have fun, I am going to have fun.
I can see flying being a lot of fun, we will see.
I can tell you one thing Ken, although I'm not a licensed pilot. I was flying out of the Liege/Legend area with a pilot that I had known and flown with many times. He asked me if I wanted to take over, which I did. He then suggested on our way back to Ft. Mac that I bank it left and then right and do my own thing. At one point, he convinced me to point the wing tips at the ground. I did. I was hooked. I took over the flight all the way back. It would be worse than a drug addiction. Had finances and the wife allowed at that time, I'd be a poor man right now with many flight hours logged in.
Old 08-12-2017, 05:26 PM

I can say with certainty that when you return a rental aircraft dripping mud from the belly and under the wings that there will be questions.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:56 PM

I've been the gamut from wanting to build my own (Murphy, Zenair or RV) to wanting to fly to wanting to glide, to even thinking about a para. I've even thought about gyro (after I fixed some stuff for the old RAF (rotary air force)). I'm a few weeks behind you Ken, but not very many... (might even be days).
Old 08-12-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doetracks View Post
You can do it, Ken

Even after flying professionally for 20 years, I myself cannot justify the costs involved in owning my own aircraft. As much as I would like to, sometimes, just can't do it.

That's just me though
Yeah, but everything you could get privately would pale in comparison to your new ride.

Ken, the best advice is get your licence, get your own plane if you like, just stay away from controlled airspace, nothing but trouble!! Just a bunch of bossy arsehole controllers.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 PM

Default update

I am checking out my plane next week, after they do the yearly certification.
Piper Cherokee PA 28-140. I still do and have always loved a low wing, and as of today the price is right, I can not pass it up. He just did a $23,000 engine overhaul so I know everything is good. Buying a used plane with engine warranty sounds great to me, especially with nothing more than run up time on it after overhaul.
I have a few things I definately have to look into with this deal, headroom, legroom, etc but the current owner is a big goon too, so it should not be a problem.
Pics to follow.
I really want to thank everyone for the advice and information. I will be calling on the guys that offered for sure.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-22-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Piper Cherokee PA 28-140. I still do and have always loved a low wing, and as of today the price is right, I can not pass it up. He just did a $23,000 engine overhaul so I know everything is good. Buying a used plane with engine warranty sounds great to me, especially with nothing more than run up time on it after overhaul.
I have a few things I definately have to look into with this deal, headroom, legroom, etc but the current owner is a big goon too, so it should not be a problem.
Pics to follow.
I really want to thank everyone for the advice and information. I will be calling on the guys that offered for sure.
My father owned two PA28 140's growing up as well as some Cessna's. I prefer the higher wing of Cessna's as you can spot directly below you. When spotting below in a PA28 you have to do a lot of steep banks. To each their own....
Old 08-22-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
My father owned two PA28 140's growing up as well as some Cessna's. I prefer the higher wing of Cessna's as you can spot directly below you. When spotting below in a PA28 you have to do a lot of steep banks. To each their own....
I thought of that too, there are quite a few reasons to go with the high wing, better glide slope, high wings are less prone to ground effect issues, the fuel is gravity fed if there is a fuel pump issue where a low wing is not, and the bigger high wings have bigger engines than the 140, but you also pay a lot more. I still have to do a check out flight, might not even like it and will start looking for a high wing.
Good point.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-22-2017, 09:38 PM

Quote:
I thought of that too, there are quite a few reasons to go with the high wing, better glide slope, high wings are less prone to ground effect issues, the fuel is gravity fed if there is a fuel pump issue where a low wing is not, and the bigger high wings have bigger engines than the 140, but you also pay a lot more. I still have to do a check out flight, might not even like it and will start looking for a high wing.
Good point.
I only mention it as I wouldn't be surprised that you would want to utilize your pilots license and plane in volunteer searches later on down the road. Just a thought. Good luck in your endeavour either way!!
Old 08-22-2017, 09:45 PM

Got my licence in 1977 and never flew just couldn't afford to, started to fly again a year and a half ago and now own a Piper Arrow PA28R-200 owning is a learning experience make sure you get a AME to do a prebuy money well spent. Send me a pm if you have any questions.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Pics to follow.
My advise is to hire a properly endorsed AME to go with you to inspect before purchase. Someone with references preferred. He may find things you wouldn't know about and ensure the logbook is up to Reg's. I'm a Heli guy so can't help on the "Seized Wing Stuff", but wish you well on you're endeavour.

PS. private A/C is still a grey area in Aviation, in my opinion. The money spent on a good annual by a reputable AMO or Inspector may not only save you some money with negotiating the price , but save you from costly repairs or you're safety. And whatever you budget for Maint and incidentals… Double It!

Last edited by TimeOff; 08-22-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:11 PM

again, thanks for the valuable information guys!

The plane has to go in for a 2 year overdue annual inspection, and I plan on being there for the shakedown. The seller is a great guy, we hit it off right away. He is an oooold gummer, 53! lol
He told me all about the history of the plane, after I chewed on the mechanic's ear pouring through the maintenance history this afternoon.

The best part about all this, being a massive plane fanatic, is if I don't like this one I get to do it all again on the next one!

Every aspect of these wonderful things fascinates me, maybe instead of going in for late life studies to be a lawyer I will delve into aircraft mechanic.

As long as I am willing and able, why the hell not???

Old 08-22-2017, 10:17 PM

Ken, I still recommend someone hired by you to have a look at it. You don't know the history of their relationship or dealings.
Remember, same with; boats are in their natural state on the bottom of the lake or ocean, so goes for A/C and the ground.
Old 08-22-2017, 10:28 PM

many good times flying with buddy as he built hours . Flew into grist lake , those were times in my life times I will never forget . He flies for United now . Still chats with buds in fort Chip when passing overhead at least he used to ,Things have changed since 911 . Best of luck to you Ken . I say go for it if you can
Old 08-23-2017, 12:50 AM
Gone Hunting

I wanted to be a pilot, even took some lessons, baught the book, "from The Ground Up" and spent some time at the controls.

Then they said I had to get a physical. So off to the doctors I went. The doc pulled on a rubber glove and told me to bend over.

You know doc, says I, I have changed my mind, I want to be a truck driver instead.
No word of a lie, I couldn't stand the thought of what he wanted to do so I gave up flying right then and there.

Best of luck to you Ken. I hope you get your license and spend many happy hours above the clouds.
Just remember, "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 08-23-2017, 01:19 AM

No worries, Transport Canada don't really care about your prostate! Let me know if you need any info in regards to training and ground school. I can help with some advise if you need some.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:34 AM

Default Flying

Lots of good advice here. Its worth it to have someone do a good look at the paperwork to make sure all airworthiness directives and service bulletins are up to date so there are no expensive surprises when you change engineers or when you decide to sell/trade up. $23000 seems a little cheap for an overhaul but it's been a long time since I was involved with a 4 cylinder O/H. I make my living flying and finally reached the point where I could afford to fly for fun again. I inherited the keys to an old vintage 2 seater and take my kids out flying regularly and they seem to like it almost as much as I do. Have Fun!
Old 08-23-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywagon View Post
Lots of good advice here. Its worth it to have someone do a good look at the paperwork to make sure all airworthiness directives and service bulletins are up to date so there are no expensive surprises when you change engineers or when you decide to sell/trade up. $23000 seems a little cheap for an overhaul but it's been a long time since I was involved with a 4 cylinder O/H. I make my living flying and finally reached the point where I could afford to fly for fun again. I inherited the keys to an old vintage 2 seater and take my kids out flying regularly and they seem to like it almost as much as I do. Have Fun!
They didn't do the crankcase. That was another 6000+. The engine had low compression. They did everything else but the owner ran out of money. It wasn't a complete overhaul.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOff View Post
My advise is to hire a properly endorsed AME to go with you to inspect before purchase. Someone with references preferred. He may find things you wouldn't know about and ensure the logbook is up to Reg's. I'm a Heli guy so can't help on the "Seized Wing Stuff", but wish you well on you're endeavour.

PS. private A/C is still a grey area in Aviation, in my opinion. The money spent on a good annual by a reputable AMO or Inspector may not only save you some money with negotiating the price , but save you from costly repairs or you're safety. And whatever you budget for Maint and incidentals… Double It!
... for sure !
Old 08-23-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salavee View Post
... for sure !
100% agree, I am not getting in a flying coffin without it being prepped for safe reliable flight.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:53 AM

What horse power Is the engine Ken? Do some math with full fuel and decide if the load/passenger limits are acceptable to you. With your size, I would think you may want get into a 180 Hp minimum especially if you plan on flying over the rocks to Rupert. Paying 23 for a top overhaul and not adding 6 k for a zero time engine seems like a bad move to me. What's the time on the engine? The saying goes for pre buys, don't use the AME who has been looking after the plane and don't use the AME you plan on using to look after your plane going forward. Good luck and be careful.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreya3212 View Post
What horse power Is the engine Ken? Do some math with full fuel and decide if the load/passenger limits are acceptable to you. With your size, I would think you may want get into a 180 Hp minimum especially if you plan on flying over the rocks to Rupert. Paying 23 for a top overhaul and not adding 6 k for a zero time engine seems like a bad move to me. What's the time on the engine? The saying goes for pre buys, don't use the AME who has been looking after the plane and don't use the AME you plan on using to look after your plane going forward. Good luck and be careful.
THIS plane is for learning how to fly. It is only 150hp, I do not have plans at all of taking this one to Rupert. It is a low hour unit, priced exactly where I want it for my intended reason. I plan on piling on the hours, becoming very used to and comfortable with flying before I even think of taking a passenger. When I 'earn my wings' I will move onto bigger and better, and I agree on the $23/6, his reason was that was all the money he had. He is broke. The mechanic said everything in the engine is to spec as newly rebuilt, that the crankcase is excellent. I questioned not doing a complete overhaul too, before I knew of his money situation. When I have a few years flying in, I will look at more power more capability, for now I do not want to go into debt for this hobby. I am simply trading one for another.
I may at some point use an aircraft for search and rescue IF there is demand here, but between Lloydminster/Wainwright with local pilots and the Army base I do not see that really being anything that will happen soon.
I think this is a great deal for learning in, just like anything else. My very first vehicle was not a brand new loaded to the hilt supercharged ultra premium platinum level truck, it was a 25 year old plain as hell chevy. I could fix it, and I could afford it.
Time will tell if I get into a 172 or a 180 or a dual engine twin turbo screamer that carries 8 passengers

Again, thank you everyone for the suggestions and information, I know very little about plane ownership, it is the reason I am researching before buying. Nothing is signed yet.

Old 08-23-2017, 11:28 PM

As long as the crank is good I would not be concerned about new Jugs (cylinders) being installed.
Hvae the Magnetos checked and that they work in all positions.
Make sure that you have a compression/ leak down test done.
Have the control cables checked and verified for tension and proper alignment.
Have the cable pullys checked for wear and that they spin.
Have the wing bolts checked and make sure they are not expired.

Also make sure that the engine hoses. mount and prop is not expired.

Have the Avionics/gauges checked out, again not expired.

Those are good little planes. good luck.

Last edited by ctd; 08-23-2017 at 11:36 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:24 PM

Things are getting very interesting. I have joined a couple aircraft forums, a couple cherokee forums. The vast majority say that the plane I have chosen is a wonderful trainer, and for quite a few reasons even better than a high wing. We will see!

Please keep the info and pics coming, and if anyone has a current set of books I could buy borrow barter rent or steal to immerse myself before I sign up so I don't look completely green when I go, that would be just awesome!

I was going to go flying today, but I am going to wait for blue sky.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:38 PM

Default Flying Books

Ken ... I have 15-20 flying related books here. Great reads for both new and experienced pilots. I will gladly lend them to you for however long it takes.

If you get around the Stony Plain area, drop in and pick them up if you're interested.

Gord
780 721 4521
Old 08-24-2017, 06:26 PM

I want this one.
But all I can afford is the last pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6298.jpg (71.2 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6294.jpg (87.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg stick.jpg (55.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-25-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
THIS plane is for learning how to fly. It is only 150hp, I do not have plans at all of taking this one to Rupert. It is a low hour unit, priced exactly where I want it for my intended reason. I plan on piling on the hours, becoming very used to and comfortable with flying before I even think of taking a passenger. When I 'earn my wings' I will move onto bigger and better, and I agree on the $23/6, his reason was that was all the money he had. He is broke. The mechanic said everything in the engine is to spec as newly rebuilt, that the crankcase is excellent. I questioned not doing a complete overhaul too, before I knew of his money situation. When I have a few years flying in, I will look at more power more capability, for now I do not want to go into debt for this hobby. I am simply trading one for another.
I may at some point use an aircraft for search and rescue IF there is demand here, but between Lloydminster/Wainwright with local pilots and the Army base I do not see that really being anything that will happen soon.
I think this is a great deal for learning in, just like anything else. My very first vehicle was not a brand new loaded to the hilt supercharged ultra premium platinum level truck, it was a 25 year old plain as hell chevy. I could fix it, and I could afford it.
Time will tell if I get into a 172 or a 180 or a dual engine twin turbo screamer that carries 8 passengers

Again, thank you everyone for the suggestions and information, I know very little about plane ownership, it is the reason I am researching before buying. Nothing is signed yet.
All sound like reasonable answers to the questions. Your price line for a plane in this scenario should be hull plus whatever time is on the engine. Check out Copa buying guide. I might be able to email it to you if you can't pull it up.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:18 PM

This thread has me looking into my old flight bag unused for 35 years.

Bric a brac and some useful items-old slide rule type flight computers
Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
This thread has me looking into my old flight bag unused for 35 years.

Bric a brac and some useful items-old slide rule type flight computers
Any chance of some pics of them?

Old 08-27-2017, 11:57 AM

MASSIVE thanks to everyone for the PM's and the replies. Especially to Corey who has been instrumental in helping me, going so far as to contact the seller and ask questions I would not have thought of.

I made it as far as the warmup area yesterday, and some bugs appeared.
-The radio would not receive.
-The left mag went down on check.
-The front tire was split. (I found that)
-the engine is seeping in 2 places (I found that)
-one spark plug cap was badly corroded (I found that)
-the prop has a big rock ding, which he said he will file off
-The rubber seal under the wing was dried up and breaking. (I found that)
-It had been sitting for close to 2 years without running, and unfortunately he started it up before I got there, I would have told him not to without inspecting at the very least the pushrods and scoping the valves for corrosion. Now at least IF he takes it for it's annual MAYBE they will be able to find contamination in the oil.
-The battery is fuxored. He boosted it with his pickup before I got there. He boosted it overnight.
This man is broke, and trying to get out most of what he put in, but the $23,000 he put in the engine is really negated because he did not zero time the engine. Now I value the plane at $38,000 - $5000 for annual and repairs listed above - $30,000 for a new engine.
Plus, I did not fit in the damn thing. He had to move his left seat ahead, my left shoulder was behind his right. He put in 6' of high density foam to lift up above the dash, which made it nearly impossible for me to sit in it.
Good deal gone bad, I sure feel for him.