Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2017, 12:08 AM

Default Please watch out for motorcycles!!!

ATTENTION MOTORISTS!!!

Please be aware of motorcycles. Behind you, beside, in front.

I've been riding streets for about 10 years now, and there's been a few close calls. Today however, I got rear ended by an Infiniti at a light.

Light turned green, car in front of me didn't go, so I didn't either. The car behind me did.

I was very lucky, minor damage, no injury, and kept the bike upright even after being driven five feet forward.

I only ask that you look for us, we're out here too. Myself, my friends, my family and loved ones. We're out here.

Please watch for us. Share the road.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:18 AM

Drivers certainly need to pay attention because motorcycles aren't quite as easy to see sometimes.

Question for you riders out there.... do you guys / gals patrol your own? By that I mean if you saw someone riding like an idiot, would you say something to them if you pulled up to them at the next red light? I agree that drivers need to pay attention to motorcycles, but sometimes I see people riding so aggressively that is seems like motorcyclist are their own worst enemy.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:52 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy

If I was a betting man the fool had thier head down texting, the traffic motion forward caught there attention and they moved forward not aware of you rather the car in front...hope the person is recovering well after jaw surgery.

See this all the time, so I crack the pipes a few times, look around and see the heads all look up...morons!

Glad your ok, bike a little banged up?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-22-2017, 05:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Drivers certainly need to pay attention because motorcycles aren't quite as easy to see sometimes.

Question for you riders out there.... do you guys / gals patrol your own? By that I mean if you saw someone riding like an idiot, would you say something to them if you pulled up to them at the next red light? I agree that drivers need to pay attention to motorcycles, but sometimes I see people riding so aggressively that is seems like motorcyclist are their own worst enemy.
Yup, got cut off by a rider, we met, we chatted, he told me a few nice things then proceeded through the intersection on the back tire...another moron.

Maybe this moron and the moron that hit the OP will meet?

Karma.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 08-22-2017, 06:07 AM

Quote:

If you see someone driving like an idiot on four wheels and you pull up to them at the next light, would you say something to them? That situation is no different regardless of what the person is operating.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Quote:

Replace the word 'motorcyclist' in this with 'gun owner' , "off-road ATV enthusiast", "camper", "member of religion X", or "member of political party Z".

Now ask yourself if you take it upon yourself to police everyone else in each of those groups to which you belong? A jerk is a jerk, one cannot be responsible for everyone else's actions, but we sure as heck can do our part by reporting illegal things we have witnessed.

I'm glad DeWalt18 was relatively unscathed in something that could have been much worse. It's no wonder you see so many riders with helmet cameras these days.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:21 AM

I got re-ended by a young lady in a 1 ton truck while sitting at a light a couple of years ago, very glad I was in my pick-up and not my bike! I believe the driver was texting even though she denied it.
I traded my black bike for a red one this summer and have an LED light kit on it's way for it, all in an attempt to be seen!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
If I was a betting man the fool had thier head down texting, the traffic motion forward caught there attention and they moved forward not aware of you rather the car in front...hope the person is recovering well after jaw surgery.

Not going to deny it and act like a saint. When I was a young, stupid driver (16-17) I was fiddling with the radio (before texting was common) and did exactly this. No one was injured but I learned a lesson and had to fork over my summer's earnings to repair my dads truck and someone else's rear end.

I've also been riding a (road) motorcycle for 8 years or so, and distracted drivers like I was that once are who I despise.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
If you see someone driving like an idiot on four wheels and you pull up to them at the next light, would you say something to them? That situation is no different regardless of what the person is operating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Replace the word 'motorcyclist' in this with 'gun owner' , "off-road ATV enthusiast", "camper", "member of religion X", or "member of political party Z".

Now ask yourself if you take it upon yourself to police everyone else in each of those groups to which you belong? A jerk is a jerk, one cannot be responsible for everyone else's actions, but we sure as heck can do our part by reporting illegal things we have witnessed.

I'm glad DeWalt18 was relatively unscathed in something that could have been much worse. It's no wonder you see so many riders with helmet cameras these days.
Guys, I'm not trying to flame anyone, it's an honest question. Every spring there is a "motorcycle awareness campaign" that comes out, asking drivers to be aware of motorcycles. Even as a "non-rider", I see that there is a brotherhood among riders, waving at each other as they pass on the road. I just wonder what "guys that belong to the club" do when they see other riders doing something stupid.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Guys, I'm not trying to flame anyone, it's an honest question. Every spring there is a "motorcycle awareness campaign" that comes out, asking drivers to be aware of motorcycles. Even as a "non-rider", I see that there is a brotherhood among riders, waving at each other as they pass on the road. I just wonder what "guys that belong to the club" do when they see other riders doing something stupid.
I've had motorcycles but currently do not. I see all kinds of extremely bad riding out there: lane splitting, riding in other motorists blind spots, tailgating, passing / weaving at extreme speeds, stunting of many forms. The bad rider problem is largely self-correcting and lots of sick people need organ transplants so it's arguably even a good thing! (Save of course for when they take out people aside from themselves )

The bad driver and how they interact with motorcyclists is another matter, being as they're the ones who survive.....
Old 08-22-2017, 10:21 AM

I thought loud pipes save lives...So loud bikes are not accident proof? Sorry, a pet peeve of mine is riders who think their 10% safer being deafeningly loud trumps my right to enjoy having my car windows open, or sleeping with a window open or having a conversation near any public street. i am glad you are ok however. Bikes are dangerous as **** in truck towns
Old 08-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Banned

Glad you are OK !!!
Old 08-22-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewalt18 View Post
ATTENTION MOTORISTS!!!

Please be aware of motorcycles. Behind you, beside, in front.

I've been riding streets for about 10 years now, and there's been a few close calls. Today however, I got rear ended by an Infiniti at a light.

Light turned green, car in front of me didn't go, so I didn't either. The car behind me did.

I was very lucky, minor damage, no injury, and kept the bike upright even after being driven five feet forward.

I only ask that you look for us, we're out here too. Myself, my friends, my family and loved ones. We're out here.

Please watch for us. Share the road.
Lost an uncle in a motorcycle accident back in June. When I had my gsxr we would always go for rides around Edmonton. Lots of people that just don't pay attention. That's why you need to be extra careful in times like those.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:10 AM

Saw this yesterday.
A motorcycle rider riding right down the center line on the Yellowhead west for about 9 miles doing 90K.
and weaving a bit, maybe a foot on either side of the line. He had about 6 or 7 cars in each lane lined up behind him.
Nobody new which lane he was going to pick to turn into.
He did have a crest on his back and was definitely not a gang member.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:16 AM

you put your life in the hands of morons when you ride. That's for sure. Sort of like the feeling I get when I have to drive after midnight, wondering what percentage of drivers coming towards me are drunk.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

See this all the time, so I crack the pipes a few times, look around and see the heads all look up...morons!

Glad your ok, bike a little banged up?
x2

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:57 AM

Thumbs up This . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

you put your life in the hands of morons when you ride. That's for sure. Sort of like the feeling I get when I have to drive after midnight, wondering what percentage of drivers coming towards me are drunk.

I've been riding motorcycles for almost 50 years now ... Oki's short sentence above ^ pretty much sums it up, but it's not limited to morons.

It's "Nature Of The Beast" when riding a motorcycle. Many people don't 'see' a motorcycle, even when they are looking right at it. They are looking for other cars and trucks. Motorcycles (and bicycles) can become invisible to the mind's eye. There's been many studies done that confirm this.

Brightly coloured motorcycles & jackets help a bit, but even then the risk is still high. There's a reason motorcycles are classified as the most dangerous type of vehicle on the road.

If you ride ... you take the risk! http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...s-on-the-road/

Selkirk
Old 08-22-2017, 12:00 PM

The most inconsiderate and dangerous people I have encountered on the road this summer have been riding two wheels.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I've been riding motorcycles for almost 50 years now ... Oki's short sentence above ^ pretty much sums it up, but it's not limited to morons.

It's "Nature Of The Beast" when riding a motorcycle. Many people don't 'see' a motorcycle, even when they are looking right at it. They are looking for other cars and trucks. Motorcycles (and bicycles) can become invisible to the mind's eye. There's been many studies done that confirm this.

Brightly coloured motorcycles & jackets help a bit, but even then the risk is still high. There's a reason motorcycles are classified as the most dangerous type of vehicle on the road.

If you ride ... you take the risk! http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...s-on-the-road/

Selkirk
X2
They are looking at the tail lights of the vehicle in front of you.
Dont have a bike now but was riding since 1989.
Best advice I got was to leave space in front and leave it in gear and watch my backside. Had to use that out at least 5 times.
2nd best piece of advice. Dont go where a car wont fit. They dont expect anyone there and will drive right over you

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-22-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
The most inconsiderate and dangerous people I have encountered on the road this summer have been riding two wheels.

And often they don't even have a motor!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:46 PM

I would say the two wheel motor less bike riders are risk takers riding the white line heads down .
Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM

This guy wasn't so lucky. Happened the day before the OP's incident. Guy was rear ended at a set of lights.

Quote:
A man is dead after a vehicle crashed into his motorcycle Saturday evening in Calgary’s northwest.
http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-...r-in-northwest
Old 08-22-2017, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
This guy wasn't so lucky. Happened the day before the OP's incident. Guy was rear ended at a set of lights.

Another senseless accidental death. I wonder how much driving experience the woman driving the car had?
Old 08-22-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
And often they don't even have a motor!
Bicyclists are about the most ignorant people out there, no license requirement, registration or insurance. Stupid.

Grizz
Old 08-22-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Bicyclists are about the most ignorant people out there, no license requirement, registration or insurance. Stupiid. Grizz
Right!
I wish I was perfect too so that I can be as smug and arrogant as them!

Last edited by stuckincity; 08-22-2017 at 03:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
It's "Nature Of The Beast" when riding a motorcycle. Many people don't 'see' a motorcycle, even when they are looking right at it.
Well said. Had a woman shoulder check and look me right in the eye on St.Albert Trail trail just to proceed to start pushing me into the curb, RIGHT after making eye contact. Also been rear ended at a light, now i keep it in gear clutch pulled and ready to use an "out" in front of me until like the car behind me has come to a full stop.

Yes, a lot of guys on 2 wheels drive like A-holes, Darwin will catch up to them eventually, please don't lump all bikers in with those idiots.

Ask anyone who rides, you are literally taking your life in your hands every time you ride. I am certain if I go before my time it will be on my bike, likely from someone in oncoming turning left right in front of me (Left turned to death) as it happens many, MANY times ever summer in every city

Bad driving can be annoying to witness behind the wheel, it can be fatal behind a set of handlebars. An accident in a car means an insurance claim, an accident on a bike can be game over
Old 08-22-2017, 04:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post

rip
Old 08-22-2017, 06:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Absolutely correct. I drive the speed limit on Deerfoot, and often see those two wheeled idiots weaving in and out of traffic. Some of them even gas it up and do wheelies. I surely would be very considerate of bikers and give them ample room and not tailgait them. Yet, I feel as though those 2 wheelers idiot are always asking for courtesy yet give none back. You wanna be road pizza? I'm your man. I'll steer over for a gopher, I won't for a 2 wheeled bike idiot and deal with the outcome. Moral of the story, don't ask for courtesy, earn it.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Bicyclists are about the most ignorant people out there, no license requirement, registration or insurance. Stupid.

Grizz
I'd have to agree with this 100%. Nothing bothers me more than cyclists riding on the road and simply blowing through stop signs and other forms of traffic control as if they don't apply to them. Next to that, would be the ones you see riding downtown. Hold up traffic, and when you all finally get around them and get to a red light, they ride right up to the front of the line so everyone has to try to pass them again.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays toyz View Post
I thought loud pipes save lives...So loud bikes are not accident proof? Sorry, a pet peeve of mine is riders who think their 10% safer being deafeningly loud trumps my right to enjoy having my car windows open, or sleeping with a window open or having a conversation near any public street. i am glad you are ok however. Bikes are dangerous as **** in truck towns
Yep - my pet peeve too
- I've ridden lots, usually street bikes - it annoys me because the people riding with loud pipes are quite often wearing T-shirts and open face helmets.
Full face helmets, save lives. Loud pipes scare babies, and hinder the cause of motorcyclists........

All drivers need to be more considerate to each other, but because of their vulnerability motorcycles do deserve an extra margin of safety.

(disclaimer: when I was 17 I did have expansion pipes on a KH250 with baffles removed, BUT I did grow up)