Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 01:39 PM

Default Most Disgusting Thing You've Seen in a Restaurant

Not wanting to hijack the Carl's Jr. thread.

What's the grossest thing you've seen at a restaurant?

Mine is a cordless phone dropped in the fry, fished out with tongs, drained/dripped dry over the fryer, then the fries brought out and packaged and served.

Provost A&W!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-23-2017, 01:41 PM

I didn't see it, but it was finding out that the old Hong Kong restaurant in Lacombe was found to have several pounds of frozen coyote in their freezer & that they were using it in substitution of other meat in their food.

This happened 10-15 years ago (estimated).
Old 08-23-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Not wanting to hijack the Carl's Jr. thread.

What's the grossest thing you've seen at a restaurant?

Mine is a cordless phone dropped in the fry, fished out with tongs, drained/dripped dry over the fryer, then the fries brought out and packaged and served.

Provost A&W!
Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about anything that falls into a deep fryer. That heat is going to kill anything that could harm you. Don't get me wrong, what you describe isn't good, but I wouldn't be getting dry heaves and running to emergency over it.

I'm much more concerned about things like not washing around raw chicken and other meats.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Banned

too bad this is a family oriented forum or i could really tell some stories
Old 08-23-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
Now I'm curious.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:52 PM

My bacon and eggs came with ants, live ants! I looked my plate some small red ants were running around others were struggling in the oil. I flagged over the waitress she asked if I wanted to reorder ????????

Watrous sask.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:55 PM

You got the extra protein omelet instead, and you called attention to it?!

Yeah, that is pretty disgusting.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Gone Hunting

waitress in the Rusty Pelican in Plamondon. 9 1/2 months pregnant, dirty greasy hair, wearing a greyish white t shirt with the entire menu featured in food stains, smears, and food particles on it. She came to the table and stood in silence for a couple minutes, and finally said 'are you gonna order or not/"

Watched a Chinese cook trying to break apart a rack of frozen ribs by pounding them on the concrete step in the alley behind the restaurant on Keefer street in Chinatown.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-23-2017, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagalaz View Post
Now I'm curious.
it's almost not worth knowing.

i typed up a pg-13 version, i'm sure i would have been banned.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:32 PM

A Subway sandwich maker sneezed into the back of their plastic glove and continued to make the sandwich in front of the patron, the patron apparently wasn't bothered by it, but being next in line I walked out. I know a lot of stuff won't kill me, I just don't want to know about it.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:50 PM

Was at a movie getting some nachos. The young guy that was putting the cheese on top of them spilled some down the side. He took his finger wiped of some then licked his finger clean then wiped the rest off. He handed me the nachos I handed them back. Him and his manager never thought he did anything wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2017, 03:04 PM

Another time sledding in Valemount went to a restaurant ordered some drinks with my buddies. I ordered a ceaser, it was the worst undrinkable. Told the waitress how bad it was and wanted a new one. She grabbed it and took a drink of it using my straw. Then handed it to me and said it's not that bad and drink it. I said you used my straw she grabbed the straw and flipped it around and put it back in my drink. I ordered a beer in the bottle lol

Old 08-23-2017, 03:27 PM

The owner of the Venice House in Lloydminster pouring half glasses of wine back into the bottle, not a word of a lie. My secretary used to work there, said he did it all the time. I never went back

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-23-2017, 03:29 PM

Mom sent me a video of a dead cockroach in her enchilada with another 1/2 dead one crawling out of the sauce? If I can find it I'll post it up. No idea what the restaurant name was but it was in Corpus Christi, Texas.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-23-2017, 03:38 PM

Spider crawled out of the dressing on my son's salad, at Red Lobster.

Grizz
Old 08-23-2017, 03:45 PM

Went to a buffet in Phoenix, can't remember the name of it due to PTSD from the incident.....grabbed a mixed bunch of greens from the salad bar. There was a used bandage in it. With blood. And some puss I think.

I've seen some ugly stuff in restaurants, but that was the worst. I'd rather have a roach climb out of my burger than find a used bandage. A friend had a toenail in his beef dip at Boston Pizza once, that was pretty bad.

I think I'll just eat at home for the rest of my life now, thanks.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-23-2017, 03:51 PM

Arrow Most Disgusting Thing I've Seen in a Restaurant

Back in the day, I was a commercial building inspector doing contract work for insurance companies, banks, etc.

For restaurants, the worst I saw was; Heavy coats of thick dark grease, dripping from the kitchen equipment, Walls and Ceiling. Not only was it unsanitary, but it was also a Major Fire Trap.

I took a few photos and quickly walked out of the place, then called the City of Calgary Inspectors. Two hours later, the restaurant was shutdown, business license pulled, and doors padlocked by the City. And the very next day, their insurance policy got cancelled.

Selkirk
Old 08-23-2017, 04:00 PM

After augering sewers for almost 20yrs at commercial/residential establishments ive seen very gross things. A guy mixing meat in a tub while a burning cigarette hangs from his mouth. Food that had sewer back up being re-used. Food dropped in a flooded area that was picked up and re-fried again, bakeries were the worst with lots and lots of mouse droppings. raw meat left on counters for long periods of time and so on.Then people wonder why i,m picky where i eat at.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:02 PM

A family of 5 and everyone morbidly obese from the 10 year old on up...
Old 08-23-2017, 04:17 PM

Waffle house in the states (can't remember which one), 6 foot flames in the kitchen while the cook was outside having a smoke chatting with his buddy in a jacked up bronco blasting AC/DC at deafening levels at 8am. Informed cook of the fire, the cook shrugged his shoulders and continued his smoke. I left.

Also outback steak house in Edmonton, entire restaurant smelled like ****. Stuck to the wife's clothes, had to go home and changed before eating dinner elsewhere.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:28 PM

A loogie in a pitcher of beer at wing night at Stadium "Father's" ( pub part of Mother's pizza back in the day). Didn't find out until after I took my first drink out of my mug. I might have had to run to the bathroom to puke!! 🤢🤢

-Confucius
Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM

Found a fingernail in my fries once and when I complained the manager got in my face about him losing business from people overhearing. The cook (managers wife) comes out to see what he's yelling about and when she tried to calm him down saw her missing nail on my tray. Only Arby's experience I've ever had. Chinook mall Calgary.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
waitress in the Rusty Pelican in Plamondon. 9 1/2 months pregnant, dirty greasy hair, wearing a greyish white t shirt with the entire menu featured in food stains, smears, and food particles on it. She came to the table and stood in silence for a couple minutes, and finally said 'are you gonna order or not/"
That's not how you met the future Mrs. Yes Dear, is it? LOL

I know it's not
Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 PM

Got a burger at an A&W once that tasted like Juicy Fruit gum. Now how do you suppose that got there?
Old 08-23-2017, 04:49 PM

For me it was breakfast time at a restaurant very popular the coffee mug had lipstick on it the hash browns had a big long hair in it the waitress dropped the the cap to the hot sauce bottle and just picked it up and put it back on the bottle right in front of me ?
So at that point I lost my appetite told the manager and the waitress still wanted a tip “N.F.W”never been back to that chain restaurant.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post
Another time sledding in Valemount went to a restaurant ordered some drinks with my buddies. I ordered a ceaser, it was the worst undrinkable. Told the waitress how bad it was and wanted a new one. She grabbed it and took a drink of it using my straw. Then handed it to me and said it's not that bad and drink it. I said you used my straw she grabbed the straw and flipped it around and put it back in my drink. I ordered a beer in the bottle lol

Awesome. Good for her. I would have drank andnthanked
Old 08-23-2017, 04:58 PM

Teen worker pee'd into a pickle bucket. I saw it. Reported it. Kid was fired. Pickles thrown out.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-23-2017, 05:00 PM

Next grossest

Saw a guy picking at his nose while filling drink cups. Once full lifted the cups to the table by putting his four fingers in the glasses and pinching together. Fingers were up to the knuckles in drink liquid.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 08-23-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about anything that falls into a deep fryer. That heat is going to kill anything that could harm you. Don't get me wrong, what you describe isn't good, but I wouldn't be getting dry heaves and running to emergency over it.

I'm much more concerned about things like not washing around raw chicken and other meats.
I once heard a KFC Mgr tell staff, "If you drop a piece of chicken in front of a customer, throw it in the garbage but if it happens in the kitchen pick it up and give it 30 seconds in the fryer."
Old 08-23-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
I know a couple of those stories.