Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 07:27 PM

Default Off gassing panel board

Hi all,

Last January I built myself a 8x12 ice shack and purchased some 4x8 sheets of mahogany panel board to finish off the interior. I've been experiencing some fairly high levels of off-gassing from the panel board since. So much so that it actually iritates the eyes and throat to the point that you need to get out after a while. Obviously I didn't realize this would be an issue when I built it. Has anyone had a similar experience? The research I've done indicates that the off-gassing will become less but there seems to be varying opinions on how long it takes. It also contains formaldehyde which is carcinogenic at higher levels. I guess my question is will the off gassing ever decrease to a point where it's habitable or do I rip it out and go with pine or something like that. Thoughts?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:51 PM
Banned

OP, You should contact the manufacturer of the panel board you have. Chances are they have scientific data and reports on the off gassing. Keep in mind that it is thier own reports but there are also govt. agencies that moniter building materials.
I used to supply Revelstoke and Rona with all thier doghouses. The question came up about the formaldahyde offgassing from the glue used to make OSB panels. Weyerhaeuser forest products (my main supplier of OSB) sent me all types of reports and studies that showed that while a lift of OSB fresh out of the oven had some formaldihyde offgassing, once it dried and was shipped to retail outlets, a lift of 3/8" OSB (78 panels) had less formaldihyde offgassing then an onion. Basically no health hazard at all.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:56 PM

It's probably made in China and who knows what they put in it. I would pull it out and put something else in. Crap like that can be a sensitizer and lead to all sort of health problems. You do not want to end up sensitive to all sorts of crap.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-23-2017, 10:58 PM

Maybe a coat of varnish or wax would stop the off gassing.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Maybe a coat of varnish or wax would stop the off gassing.
Fishing shack right?
I'm a cabinetmaker. Mahogany is raunchy stuff , and depending on the substrate ( usually particle board =more gassing , or plywood) even worse.

Above poster is right. Seal it with lacquer or polyurethane.
( use a brush or roller , it's not furniture )

Polyurethane or laquer needs ventilation and needs to flash-off and dry. It will smell of this for a couple days , but then you should be good. Maybe do it just before you leave , but it needs ventilation and no open flames while it's fresh.
This includes smoking. Don't buy the spray cans.

I'd do polyurethane. It takes awhile to dry , but it's tough , water-resistant , and lasts a long time. One good coat should do it.
Hope that helps.

I would of just went with OSB or spruce ply myself.