Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-30-2011, 03:45 PM

Smile

I once found a minnow sturgeon on the bank of the North Sask, I picked er up, and yelled at my cousin to come over. He said get that thing in the water now, grabbed it and tried to get it to swim away.

Ive learned since then, its best not to target them. The thrill to catch one ain`t worth the risk of loosing what we got, which is not that much.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:22 PM
Banned

Hey Wayne,

You should find this info pretty useful. The SSR and NSR fish are likely to vary a bit from this data, but it should be correct more or less.

Lake Sturgeon Size-Age-weight
Old 11-30-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned

The small ones are likely less than 3 years old.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
I once found a minnow sturgeon on the bank of the North Sask, I picked er up, and yelled at my cousin to come over. He said get that thing in the water now, grabbed it and tried to get it to swim away.

Ive learned since then, its best not to target them. The thrill to catch one ain`t worth the risk of loosing what we got, which is not that much.
You must not fish in the river then. Every time you baitfish in the river you target them along with walleye,sauger,pike and the elusive sucker.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Hey Wayne,

You should find this info pretty useful. The SSR and NSR fish are likely to vary a bit from this data, but it should be correct more or less.

Lake Sturgeon Size-Age-weight
good chart, thanks. from what I see the NSR ones the same length as ours seem to be heavier, or maybe they stopped growing lengthwise so much and started filling out. more nastys for them to eat in there too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-30-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey View Post

sure it wasnt a stickleback? I dont know, Ive never seen a sturgeon minnow. sticklebacks I have seen plenty, found one last weekend that had been on the ice in pretty much zero water for 24 hours, and it swam away no problem when I put it back. thats tough!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 11-30-2011, 05:59 PM

I would think your sturgeon would be 3-7 years old. would be cool to catch such a small sturgeon like that then 50 years down the road thinking he could still be alive.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
I would think your sturgeon would be 3-7 years old. would be cool to catch such a small sturgeon like that then 50 years down the road thinking he could still be alive.
never thought of it that way, that fish will be peeing in the river long after Im gone, maybe my grandkids can catch the same ones.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 11-30-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
never thought of it that way, that fish will be peeing in the river long after Im gone, maybe my grandkids can catch the same ones.
Yea it is cool to think of it like that, because Sturgeon can live 175 years, so that is why we should handle them with due care.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Yea it is cool to think of it like that, because Sturgeon can live 175 years, so that is why we should handle them with due care.
A good reason for fishing guidelines/education with respect to sturgeon inhabited waters.

Imagine being gut hooked for a few decades?
Old 11-30-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
A good reason for fishing guidelines/education with respect to sturgeon inhabited waters.

Imagine being gut hooked for a few decades?
i have to laugh, but yea honestly it would suck, yea and being a sturgeon they are a very tough species of fish meaning when they get hooked and hooked and hooked again time after time, there mouth would probably start getting sore, that is why i very rarely bait fish.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:09 PM
Banned

Has anyone e-mailed the student at the U of A?
Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
Has anyone e-mailed the student at the U of A?
Good point, I looked it up yesterday but could only find an empty profile on the UoA website.

It would be great to hear from the experts.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:28 PM
Banned

I think this is not a serious study, but a half hatched sampling that is quite common with SRD.

Stuff like this is used to feed the media, that "something" is being done to protect the public's resources.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I think this is not a serious study, but a half hatched sampling that is quite common with SRD.

Stuff like this is used to feed the media, that "something" is being done to protect the public's resources.
You cannot really do anything to really protect the sturgeon, if someone really wants to keep one, what is stopping them?? the only thing that could be done is ban fishing in highly populated areas that hold good numbers of Sturgeon, other then that it is up to you and me to look out for this beauty.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:08 AM

Decline?? I have heard of twice as many sturgen caught in the last year than in the previous 5 years. Does this not mean that the populations are increasing?
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Decline?? I have heard of twice as many sturgen caught in the last year than in the previous 5 years. Does this not mean that the populations are increasing?
I think the large amount of sturgeon caught were due to the high water levels. They like deep holes and they dont move a whole lot from those holes...so I think with high waters they were moving around a bit more than usual. I could be wrong but there did seem to be alot more being caught this year... He'll even I caught 2 this year.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:48 AM

BGSH why do you even suggest closing more fishing down.The SRD dose not have a clue of the number of fish in the river systems.I know in the S.S.R. I've never seen so many sturgeon caught in the last few years.70 years ago they use to gill net the river and keep every thing.Maybe thats why the oldest fish they tag was 63 years old.Leave the rules alone and stop the pouching would sure help.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dago View Post
BGSH why do you even suggest closing more fishing down.The SRD dose not have a clue of the number of fish in the river systems.I know in the S.S.R. I've never seen so many sturgeon caught in the last few years.70 years ago they use to gill net the river and keep every thing.Maybe thats why the oldest fish they tag was 63 years old.Leave the rules alone and stop the pouching would sure help.
Not close down fishing, just certain areas where sturgeon hang out, just a suggestion that is all.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:03 AM

Sometimes selective closures are effective, I am not sure about river habitat though river fish are far more migratory.

How long has Alberta been c&r for sturgon? I am pretty sure it was at least 10 years before the improvment was noticable. Also poachers with nets are a lot easier to see on a busy lake that a river.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:10 AM
Banned

Quote:

What are you basing this on?