Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-07-2011, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
cool skeg. the mighty peace, beautiful country. what were those fish surfacing for? i seen you mentioned modifying one of you patterns to imitate a stonefly. what you were using looked nothing like the stones i've ever thrown.

Dace
i dont think walleye eat stones but they must i gues...i put a stone on a indacator and retriveing it on bottom and no hits my buddy has even tried live stones at sylvan with no results
Old 04-07-2011, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
i dont think walleye eat stones but they must i gues...i put a stone on a indacator and retriveing it on bottom and no hits my buddy has even tried live stones at sylvan with no results
there is stoneflys in Sylvan?
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskeg View Post
For Stones I never really used any particular pattern, I've always had a bad habit of improvising with materials and creating my own, so long as it resembles what they're feeding on. Humpties are very effective as well.
I've seen them rise for mayflies also but usually stick with a little larger wake making fly, I use foam a fair bit to create little gurglers, frogs.
In the video I used the Popovich Hollow Fleye style in chartreuse and black and fish the bottom until it got near and would slide it across the surface. as you can see in the vid on my blog the Walleye are surfacing like mad and are often mistaken as goldeye or chub.
When I come to the city this summer we'll have to hook up on the NSR for some top water action and a beer.
you'll have to come a little further south than the NSR. Possibly the SSR as i'm south of calgary now. you may enjoy a walk along some different types of water though. lots of good mountain streams. feel free to look me up if you're ever down this way.