Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-02-2011, 10:03 AM

Default Fly line backing

I could use a little help, picked up a new sage fly rod and reel (6wt), and am going to spool it myself, however i don't know how much backing is usually put on a reel. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:38 AM

http://www.sageflyfish.com/dyn_category.php?k=54325

find your reel click on it, than click specs and it will tell you. that said i use 30 pound backing so i dont have to use as much, ive never seen my backing when fighting fish.
Old 04-02-2011, 07:35 PM

On a standard fly reel, and they're all about the same size, if you spool you're backing to about half the diameter of the reel, then that's about right. Don't forget, as you get closer to the outer diameter of the reel, each revolution holds more line because you're line is going in a larger circle. Since the actual fly line is thick, it will take up this space. Also, when you attach you're backing to you're fly line, use an Abright loop (knot). If you don't know what that is, just google it and follow the instructions.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 PM

i should say in the instructions in the package
Old 04-05-2011, 07:00 AM

Remtig,

Typically you want about 3/8" of an inch between the frame of the reel and the line when it is spooled on.

The 3/8" of an inch will allow some poor line retrieval w/o binding and resultant fish lose.

Forget what the manufacturer suggests and load the line on the reel w/o any backing and then add backing till it is within the 3/8" of the frame.

Reverse the whole process.

Any number of knots will work for the backing to reel arbour but whatever knot you chose between the line/backing connection may/could be important. You want a knot that will slide w/o effort through the guides. For that reason, I use a nail knot that is completely layered with flat tying thread and treated with several coats of super glue.

But if you only fish Alberta, you will rarely have any reason to see your backing knot.

catch ya'

Don
Old 04-05-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Andersen View Post
Remtig,

Typically you want about 3/8" of an inch between the frame of the reel and the line when it is spooled on.

The 3/8" of an inch will allow some poor line retrieval w/o binding and resultant fish lose.

Forget what the manufacturer suggests and load the line on the reel w/o any backing and then add backing till it is within the 3/8" of the frame.

Reverse the whole process.

Any number of knots will work for the backing to reel arbour but whatever knot you chose between the line/backing connection may/could be important. You want a knot that will slide w/o effort through the guides. For that reason, I use a nail knot that is completely layered with flat tying thread and treated with several coats of super glue.

But if you only fish Alberta, you will rarely have any reason to see your backing knot.

catch ya'

Don

Very sound advice Don, I never thought of doing it backwards. Great tips. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2011, 06:13 AM

Thanks Don, I know you rarely see the backing when fighting a fish, however two or three years ago on the Bow latched onto a big one and I couldn't keep up with it on the shore when it ran downstream, almost ran out of backing! Of course it got off and never did get a look at it but it always sticks in my mind when thinking of backing.