Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 PM

Hey i have pic,s of 32 inch last year and 34 inch 2009 just not on disc .. and they were released.. so they are current..

smoked Bull Trout are awesome.. he he .. yep years ago
Old 04-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow flyman View Post
Those look like kootenay lake bull trout. I dont think in Alberta lakes they grow that large.
the pic of mine is
specks pic is a secret...lol.....but he has the biggest plaques
ive caught long bullies in AB but personally nothing with the shoulders or girth of a BC fish
Old 04-05-2011, 05:01 PM

i got a few places like that acualy and theres alot of em too except people just dont wanna tak the time to hike and drive out there in alberta
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM

Athabasca Bull Trout #15 to #17 released .. not me Picture%20768.jpg
Old 04-05-2011, 09:32 PM

This is Bull I caught on the Bow a few years back . It really was a hell of a fight on my 6wt fly rod. thought i had a beaver on at first. 10.6 lbs 27 " and fat. I have caught two in the bow so far. maybe I should pull out the rod and go again this good friday.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow flyman View Post
Those look like kootenay lake bull trout. I dont think in Alberta lakes they grow that large.
i dont know about lakes, but i know of at least one river where there are lots of them that would pop your eyes. the alberta record is alive there right now....but cant be officially registered.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishootbambi View Post
i dont know about lakes, but i know of at least one river where there are lots of them that would pop your eyes. the alberta record is alive there right now....but cant be officially registered.
Agree
Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 AM

Its about time to put a 1 fish slot size limit on Bulls.The cutthroats are taking a beating in some of the streams.

Why do they have to be the sacred trout of fishing now that the poulation has rebounded?
Old 04-06-2011, 09:12 AM

Seriously?????
The bull trout is to blame for a decrease in the cutty populations?
Give your head a shake man.

Maybe look into researching healthy population dynamics.
Old 04-06-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/2 oz Bucktail View Post
Seriously?????
The bull trout is to blame for a decrease in the cutty populations?
Give your head a shake man.

Maybe look into researching healthy population dynamics.

Last I checked there should be small numbers of bulls as they are a top the food web. You can only protect a top predator for so long, unless the species is not recovering. Bull numbers are up I dont think anyone would argue that. Cutties do well when you can't keep them just like bulls ex. Blackstone. I'm sure there are more factors in the big picture but needing a head shaking for commenting on how the biomass has been heavily in favor of bull trout?? Come on, they eat cutties when there as big as the specimens on this thread.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 04-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rielbowhunter View Post
This is Bull I caught on the Bow a few years back . It really was a hell of a fight on my 6wt fly rod. thought i had a beaver on at first. 10.6 lbs 27 " and fat. I have caught two in the bow so far. maybe I should pull out the rod and go again this good friday.

nice fish Bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM

So should we kill off all pike in lakes where walleye aren't doing well? Pike eat walleye.

Population dynamics...
Where do we draw the line on management? Do we manage individual species and subsequently manage for the reults of previous management? Or should we assign C&R regulations to all east slope waterbodies and let the populations balance themselves out.

What happens in back country streams and rivers where there is almost zero fishing pressure?

Do the bulls run rampant and completely wipe out all other species?
No. If they did, they would have cleaned all of the grayling out of the Little Smoky long ago.

The other aspect to keep in mind with bulls is that there are usually two populations within each waterbody; residents and migrants. Typically the large individuals (24" or bigger) that people catch out of the smaller tribs are migratory and do not spend the full year in these systems.
Case in point the Goat river in B.C., a Fraser Trib. The majority of large spawning age adults move into the goat and migrate through the summer season to spawning grounds afterwhich they drop back into the major River system to overwinter.

Another case would be the Ram, most of the bulls found in this river are more than likely migrants from the North Saskatchewan. Individuals will rarely occupy a holding water for much more than a couple days unless staging at some form of barrier. They are always moving.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
So should we kill off all pike in lakes where walleye aren't doing well? Pike eat walleye.

Population dynamics...
Where do we draw the line on management? Do we manage individual species and subsequently manage for the reults of previous management? Or should we assign C&R regulations to all east slope waterbodies and let the populations balance themselves out.

What happens in back country streams and rivers where there is almost zero fishing pressure?

No. If they did, they would have cleaned all of the grayling out of the Little Smoky long ago.

The other aspect to keep in mind with bulls is that there are usually two populations within each waterbody; residents and migrants. Typically the large individuals (24" or bigger) that people catch out of the smaller tribs are migratory and do not spend the full year in these systems.
Case in point the Goat river in B.C., a Fraser Trib. The majority of large spawning age adults move into the goat and migrate through the summer season to spawning grounds afterwhich they drop back into the major River system to overwinter.

Another case would be the Ram, most of the bulls found in this river are more than likely migrants from the North Saskatchewan. Individuals will rarely occupy a holding water for much more than a couple days unless staging at some form of barrier. They are always moving.
I vote yes on killing off the Pike...lol joking

This isnt the Goat river near Creston is it?
Old 04-06-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:

Population dynamics...

Walleye eat pike too. I don't think we can compare pike to bulls and eyes to cutties.

What I was getting at is that there's no head shaking required. Some waters are ready to be micro managed rather than having a no limit on bulls province wide. Ultimatly I c&r all my trout so shutting down the east slope wouldn't b a big bother. So what happens in back country streams with no pressure?? Do all species fair well?

Old 04-06-2011, 06:18 PM

Natures Balance Mother Nature/Great Spirit/Gods
Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 PM

hmm in some streams the bulls domanate because they were most likly untouched by the people who trash fished em but in the majority of the streams theres a low amout bulls compared to what there used to be. keep in mind its also our provincial fish and there indangered i say we do all we can to help them.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
hmm in some streams the bulls domanate because they were most likly untouched by the people who trash fished em but in the majority of the streams theres a low amout bulls compared to what there used to be. keep in mind its also our provincial fish and there indangered i say we do all we can to help them.
I fully agree on helping anywhere we can. It would be nice if we didn't have to be involved and nature could do it's thing. But also keep in mind that if numbers get too high it can have adverse effects as well. Especially when it's a top predator we are protecting. Protecting sturgeon for example is a totally different ball game. I like when lakes or streams are managed on an individual basis. It's a much more precise method of population management. There are streams with very healthy populations of bull trout, I can think of a place where they are the ONLY species of fish I have seen caught. A very healthy population with a good size variation on the bulls which is my favorite sign. Big medium and small. But the lack of other species is a sign as well.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:08 PM

yup but when you go back far enough it was just whitefish and bull trout.
bulls ate whitefish and the whitefish ate he bull trouts eggs. so the population was somewhat stable
Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 PM

Default Substitute it for Dodo Bird!!

My Great Great Grandpa's Dodo Bird cook book indicates you can substitute Bull Trout if you can't find Dodo Bird.

Might want to give that a try.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:19 PM

Here is one from last week; released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqyVm..._order&list=UL
Old 04-08-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
no worries spec. i'm just a big c&r guy when it comes to big fish. i'd much rather see that gal holding a live fish ready to go back, then seeing blood coming from its gills. nothing to do with jealousy. everything to do with respect.

Dace
But sometimes you have to respect a delicious meal of fresh fish. Happy yer a big C & R but doesn't mean we all have to be, so long as the fishery can sustain some pressure where your catch came from.